5045D Toplink length

/ 5045D Toplink length #1  

downslope

Platinum Member
Tractor
MF TO-35, Ford(s) 2000, 8N, 9N, White 2-70, NH TD75D, JD 5045D
I am running a JD MX6 rotary cutter on my 5045D. Am I supposed to be able to fully shorten the toplink with all of the threads screwed fully in?

As it is, I can not shorten the toplink enough so that the rear of the mower is a few inches higher than the front when lowered to mowing height. It looks like the 2 ends are butting together in the tube. I figured that since everything is OEM JD I should be able to adjust it as recommended for proper cut.

Am I doing something wrong? I have run this mower on two slightly larger 70 hp tractors (non-JD) without this problem. Suggestions?
20230914_183528.jpg

View attachment 822761

Last edited:
   / 5045D Toplink length #2  
I seem to remember that with any of my previous tractors that the top link would "take in" all of the threads.
Then I made a hydraulic T.L.😉
Are there several choices of holes to use on the mower?

/ 5045D Toplink length
There is only 1 hole on the mower. On the tractor there are 3 holes, but I thought the lower 2 were for draft control. I could probably raise the back a little by using the lower hole on the tractor, but that would be draft sensing and I don't know if thats a good idea with the mower.
The hitch on the mower is labeled I-MATCH, could that be causing the problem? It seems very "flexy".

/ 5045D Toplink length #4  
Try the lower hole on the tractor end.

A pic of the mower and the connection to the tractor would help with more helpful answers.

Last edited:
   / 5045D Toplink length #5  
There is only 1 hole on the mower. On the tractor there are 3 holes, but I thought the lower 2 were for draft control. I could probably raise the back a little by using the lower hole on the tractor, but that would be draft sensing and I don't know if thats a good idea with the mower.
The hitch on the mower is labeled I-MATCH, could that be causing the problem? It seems very "flexy".
You’re correct that tractor top link hitch pivots at the top so only bottom two holes will pivot it for draft control. Top hole will be stationary and is what you want with that mower. That top link if it’s all original should completely thread in . It’s got to be corrosion with the threads or quite possibly one threaded end got bent . Also I would turn the implement end of top link 180 degrees so the wire retainer doesn’t have a chance to bind when you lift the mower.

/ 5045D Toplink length #6  
The mower's Thee Point Hitch tower is bolted together. This assembly method gives a little frame adjustment.

May surre the bolts and nuts are tight, so the frame does not flex.

/ 5045D Toplink length #7  
T-B-N ARCHIVE:

Watch YouTube Videos half way down thread.

/ 5045D Toplink length #8  
I changed my tail wheel height on my MX6 so that when I used the hitch control to set front of mower inch or so off the ground the rear would be 1” to 1-1/2” higher. Made substantial difference in how easy it cut in thick tall grass. Had plenty of HP regardless, but very noticeable difference on how much easier it cut.

/ 5045D Toplink length
I changed my tail wheel height on my MX6 so that when I used the hitch control to set front of mower inch or so off the ground the rear would be 1” to 1-1/2” higher. Made substantial difference in how easy it cut in thick tall grass. Had plenty of HP regardless, but very noticeable difference on how much easier it cut.
Does this mean that when cutting you have the tail wheel running continuously on the ground with weight on it? I don't think it's supposed to work that way. The top link should be able to raise the rear of the mower to the proper height, and the tail wheel should only lightly touch on uneven terrain

/ 5045D Toplink length #10  
Does this mean that when cutting you have the tail wheel running continuously on the ground with weight on it? I don't think it's supposed to work that way. The top link should be able to raise the rear of the mower to the proper height, and the tail wheel should only lightly touch on uneven terrain
Yes. I run tail wheel on the ground carrying the weight of the mower and adjust the height with three point hitch. Occasionally will have need to carry cutter completely off the ground while still mowing, but not very often.