5045e loosing power & smokes

/ 5045e loosing power & smokes
That filter/strainer in the tank is the route I went when mine started losing power , so I dropped the tank after draining it and knew right away after pulling the strainer/filter that that wasn't my problem, that's when I got to tracing fuel lines from the tank to the filter housing with a manual pump and from there up towards the radiator where I found a small in-line filter at the fuel cooler and that was what it was, on mine anyway, it's a 2011 5093E Limited, I'm not saying that yours has that filter but I would sure rule it out before I drained that tank.
I surely will!

I don't think the 5045e goes back to a 2000 model, but an early model (tier two emissions) will not have a lift pump. Just a hand primer on top of the filter base, and it won't click. This system relies on gravity and the transfer pump in the injection pump for the entire supply. The absence of the lift pump does increase chances of the symptoms you describe.

You might consider investigating the flow directly from the tank, possibly draining the tank, removing and examining item #39 on this diagram.

Harry….just did some reading and I GUESS the SN tells the year it was made! As far as I can tell…I BELIEVE the last “0” in the SN tells what year and according to JohnDeere website it was the 1st year model…which would make it a 2012… I TTHINK! LOLOL…do you know for sure?

/ 5045e loosing power & smokes #13  
I have no way to track your serial number. I'm just going on experience and model year 2000 sounds way too early for that series tractor. 2012 sounds much more likely. I don't see many 5045 models, the 5055e and 5065e are much more common in this area.

If this were a tier 4 tractor I wouldn't be responding here as I don't work on anything newer than 2014 tractors.

/ 5045e loosing power & smokes #15  
White smoke after running for over an hour, And loss of power?

When it starts smoking What does the white smoke smell like? Is it a Strong Unburned diesel smell or sickly sweet antifreeze smell?

Temperature gauge stable the whole time?
Any "missing" sound or hammering noise from the engine when the white smoke starts?

White smoke after running for over an hour, And loss of power?

When it starts smoking What does the white smoke smell like? Is it a Strong Unburned diesel smell or sickly sweet antifreeze smell?

Temperature gauge stable the whole time?
Any "missing" sound or hammering noise from the engine when the white smoke starts?
I really don’t know about the smell….but it’s like a blueish-white smoke! The temperature gauge is stable the whole time! I’m concerned it may be a head gasket or cracked head.!!! But wouldn’t there be water in the oil? It does start a little hammering just before it starts smoking! Sound like you may be onto what I need! ANY HELP would greatly be appreciated! I was intending on removing the strainer from the fuel tank and see if that maybe it was restricting fuel but got to thinking…it only does it when it gets hot. Any other time it’s runs fine!
j

JP

/ 5045e loosing power & smokes #17  
I have a 2010 5055D. Same engine as your's. Are the emissions a tier 3? If you don't have DEF fluid on it, then you don't have the Tier Final 4 emissions. There is a sensor that screws into the bottom of your radiator. It goes directly to your Standyne injection pump. It alters the timing, for cold starts. If that sensor is going bad, or the connector for the sensor is dirty or getting a wonky connection after it heats up, it could be altering the timing on your injection pump. Just something to check. If you think it might be a head gasket, pressure test your cooling system and see if the pressure falls off. That is how you check to see if you are getting moisture in the cylinders from a head gasket going bad.

If by Tier 3 you mean…my does my tractor uses DEF…then no…it does not have a DEF fluid tank on it! I will look for that sensor tomorrow and see if I can figure out where it is at and if it seems to be ok! Thanks for the input! I’ll definitely see if I can figure out how to do a pressure test on the cooling system! That is just my “swag” guess about the head gasket! It doesn’t seem to be loosing any water from the radiator and if it is…it’s so minimal that I can barely tell and there don’t seem to be any water in the engine oil! Pressure testing will most likely tell me that right… I mean if the head gasket is leaking??

/ 5045e loosing power & smokes #19  
If by Tier 3 you mean…my does my tractor uses DEF…then no…it does not have a DEF fluid tank on it! I will look for that sensor tomorrow and see if I can figure out where it is at and if it seems to be ok! Thanks for the input! I’ll definitely see if I can figure out how to do a pressure test on the cooling system! That is just my “swag” guess about the head gasket! It doesn’t seem to be loosing any water from the radiator and if it is…it’s so minimal that I can barely tell and there don’t seem to be any water in the engine oil! Pressure testing will most likely tell me that right… I mean if the head gasket is leaking??
Did you find out what the problem was?

Did you find out what the problem was?
Yes…the in tank fuel strainer was completely clogged up with algae! I removed it and flushed the fuel tank and then cleaned that strainer and reinstalled it! I put clean fuel in it and an algae preventative and it seems to doing fine now! Here’s a pic of the strainer!!