Comparison 5075E vs 5075M

/ 5075E vs 5075M #21  
I was recently in a very similar position of buying a tractor to get family ranch back in order. Immediate needs very similar of clean up chores and also haying the coastal pasture. After many hours of research and making a purchase I thought was the right one and good for long term I can honestly admit I wish I had done a little different. I too was trying to find the ideal machine that does it all. I ended up with a JD 4105 knowing it was small enough to use in the yard and around the house but also right on the edge of flirting with haying (small square bales). It would just have to be with smaller equipment meaning more time..... no big deal.

I still think the 4105 is good tractor and will be kept but probably could have gone with 3 series as I'm now looking at bigger tractor for pasture work. With 172 acres I'm leaning towards 6 series as well (better market for larger round bales rather than small, square) with thought that 5E/M could get the job done but not going to make the mistake again of being on the small side. I'm also looking at 2WD with cab as pretty flat pasture doesn't require 4WD. I think 4105 and 6 series will be pretty good long term combo as no one machine can do it all.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet but just want to throw out the idea of renting some machines for some of the work instead of purchase. How oftern are you really going to use backhoe? Always want to hook up when needed? Are you close to rental yard with smaller tracked excavator? You can rent a machine quite a bit for cost of purchase if not truly needed all the time. Just a thought.

/ 5075E vs 5075M #22  
Let me add my two cents' worth here, also being on the 70-ish side. I was looking last year for a used tractor, primarily for bushhogging plus a bit of loader work. I was finding choices for the features I wanted very limited and pricey in used tractors, after scanning Tractor House, eBay, dealer web sites, Craigslist, and the web generally for several months. I finally decided that I had one time to buy a tractor, and that I should look at what I really wanted - a new tractor with HST, cab, loader, rear remotes, and a quick hitch. Although I have not yet taken delivery (have to get a barn built for security first), I still feel like my decision to get the features I wanted was a good one.

Good luck in your search, and enjoy the shopping experience!

/ 5075E vs 5075M #23  
I am located in Southern WV and similar to you I started looking for a new tractor. For YEARS people, including us and this farm mowed, tedded, raked, and round and square baled hay with 45-55 HP tractors. Having said that, it is not a perfect set-up but can be done and it works. With that in mind I began tractor shopping and compared the 5085M and the 5083E for many hours, parked them side by side at the dealer and compared. For me it came down to cost and anticipated use. HP was roughly the same for the two. The 5085M weighs more, and is a "heavier" built tractor without a doubt. But I do not make my living farming and can only dream of being able to one day and there was more than a $10k price difference for the M than the E. Another thing to consider the E is a "mechanical" machine, meaning that other than the Power-Reverser the machine is mechanically controlled as opposed to electro-hydraulic. I opted for the E and am happy so far. This summer I will put it to work in the hay field and put up roughly 200 acres of hay which had been done for years on this farm with 45HP equipment and I am going to guess use more fuel than every before, but I will do it in the nice cold air with the radio in the background :).

/ 5075E vs 5075M
The more I look at all of the variables with cost, security (only have the garage in the short term), and different areas that need attention, I realize that this is a farm that cries for 3 tractors. I need something with an open station to pull the rake and possibly the discbine, but I have no interest in baling behind an open station. I just always feel better having better sight lines when I'm pulling those things behind me. With the hills I have I would also feel better with the larger, heavier 6 series bulling the baler. Around the house and in the garden it is tough to use anything even as big as the 5065E or 5075E; they are tougher to maneuver and will compact the freshly tilled soil with their weight. I could be wrong, but I feel the best course for me is to get either the 5075E or 65E to use now for most of the clean-up work, while I have the larger 6430 making the hay. Find a used (or new if I must) 1026R or similar tractor to do the grounds and garden around the house (about 3-4 acres), and save money for when I need to buy the larger tractor. This seems like overkill in some ways, but I do not see anyway to really make it all work. The price of the E series is just almost too good to pass up. Assuming I can get one with a reverser, then it seems like a no brainer to go with one of those. Size wise I could get by with a 4 series tractor, but the cost of the 5E's versus the 4's makes the 5's a better long-term option for me. One thing I am learning is that things have changed so dramatically in the last few years it blows my mind.

/ 5075E vs 5075M #25  
I just finished using my jd260 disk mower and hesston 530 4x4 baler to finish sixty acres of hay. All using my 5045D. Never missed a beat. Small but powerful tractor. I am going to move up to a larger tractor next year to ease the burden of haymaking.

/ 5075E vs 5075M #26  
One thing to think about when you get your haying equipment. If you go for a 5 series now and are planning on keeping it even after you go for a larger machine size your equipment so that in a pinch you can use that 5 series to get the hay up. Another option is if your only going to be using whatever larger tractor you get for field work go for an older one.

Granted I have a couple of newer tractors but you will still find a 69 4020 with an aftermarket turbo out in my fields this year. Its got about 12000 hours on it (it has been overhauled) but it is a good reliable tractor and will still work all day long with the new ones. It will be pulling my discbine this year, and it also does my fall plowing if the weather is good. Heck up until this year I used 2 4020's in my operation but one of them is going to be relegated to loader duty on the farm now that I have the TD5050 to pull the baler.

I bale quite a bit more acreage than you do and I run my baler either with a TD 5050 new holland or I can run it on one of my 4020's. I suppose in a pinch I could probably even run it with my TN75 but that would sure give the TN a workout.

/ 5075E vs 5075M #27  
A cab is a pain when cuttjng?

I have to say cab is the only way to go down here. Hear, dust, bees,etc.

D.

/ 5075E vs 5075M #28  
just traded a 5045d and cut hay and bailed 4x4 round with it.great tractor for the hp. Love my new 5075e cab

/ 5075E vs 5075M #29  
For my haying, I run a 5093e and a JD 567 baler. Would not have anything smaller to run that baler, though with my flat hay field the 5093e handles it just fine. I wanted a raking/bush-hogging tractor and wasnt get the use out of my skidsteer so I sold the skid and looked at local 55hp level tractors (Deere, Kubota, CaseIH, Mahindra). Would have loved another Deere as everything I own is Deere, BUT, I ended up getting a smoking deal on a new CaseIH Farmall 55a MFWD with loader for less than my Deere dealer was pricing the 5055e WITHOUT loader (both open station tractors, which is what I wanted). Also, I found the Farmall 55a had telescoping 3pt links where the Deere small E series tractors are fixed. A big deal to me since I have not help on the farm.

Good luck on your search. I find its all about the thrill of the hunt, and the actual purchase to be somewhat of anti climatic!