Comparison 5075E vs 5075M

/ 5075E vs 5075M #11  
FWIW, I really like the 5045e. It is a little underpowered (5055e or 5065e would be better), but it has a huge capacity loader, really smooth transmission, and it is big enough for some field work (rake, tedder, etc). Dad used it to plow and till their garden before they got the little Kubota, seemed fine for that work too. I personally don't like a cab tractor for fence building, land clearing, woods work, around the barns, etc. I find it to be in the way, easy to break glass and harder to get in and out of. In the field, plowing snow, bush hogging and baling make a cab a big plus though.

Whats wrong with the 6430? How many hours? That should be a 10,000hr+ tractor with good care.

/ 5075E vs 5075M #12  
I use a 2720 as my small utility tractor. It does the garden tilling, post hole digging, and light loader work. For your hay work I think the 5100m would likely be fine. It will easily handle all of the implements used for hay so while the 6 series are nice, they are often overkill. A farm near me is I using a 6 series for small square bales. Nice machine, but overkill

/ 5075E vs 5075M #13  
I have a 5303 4WD which is the equivalent to the 5065E. I use it to pull an 8' disc harrow, mow with a 6' rotary and plant my garden with a single row planter and cultivator. I have found it to be the best of both worlds. Big enough to handle decent size equipment yet allow me to use it in the garden with 36" rows. I have my garden in an open enough area that space is not an issue. It is about the same size you mentioned.

/ 5075E vs 5075M #14  
This site has taught me more than I could ever convey, and it is part of the reason I have decided to return to farming after many, many years in an office.

Good choice. I am still balancing the two.

/ 5075E vs 5075M
It seems like the popular consensus is that something in the 5065e-5075e size would be my best bet for now. If it proves too big to work in the garden, then I still have the option of buying something smaller to do that work. My personal experience also says the cab is a pain many times, but it sure is nice when one is bush hogging and bailing. Even the cutting and raking seem much easier to do without the cab, but this farm has a LOT of brush that needs to be cut back. It seems the best option is just to get the open 5075E and deal with the mess while trimming the brush. After all, I'm the one that said I wanted to be back on the farm instead of in the office all the time. I'm saying that now, so when I'm back on this site crying in a few months everyone can remind me of it.

I like the idea of the smaller tractor plus the larger M series together, but the cost seems better to do a 6 series later with the 5e and possibly a smaller one now.

I was cryptic on the 6430 originally, since I know the owner of the 6430 reads this site sometimes. It is not my tractor. It is borrowed and/or run sometimes by a neighbor in trade for him keeping the hay he bales. It keeps the land clean for me, and it gets him free hay. When I get cattle back on the farm I'll need the hay, so I worry think my free sharing plan might come to an end. For now the hale/field work is not my top priority, though. It is clearing the rest of the land, building some structures, erecting fence, and working my garden.

Thanks for the continued insight and discussions. This is how we all learn, and I have already learned a lot from your help. At least one person has echoed my worry that most of the 6 series might be overkill for my farm use.

/ 5075E vs 5075M #16  
It seems that something in the middle of the E series with an open cab makes the most sense cost wise. That would leave me money in a few years to put toward the new 6 series for the hay work. The smaller size also makes a lot more sense around the house and garden for mowing and such. The added bonus is that the folding ROPS means I can park it in the garage while I am repairing the barn and/or another place to park the tractors.

QUOTE]

Just sonething to keep in mind about parking any of the 5d or 5e series. With a standard 7' high garage door, you will either need to cut your exhaust down to get clearance, or get the horizontal exhaust kit that dumps out underneath...When I purchased my 5045D, i opted to cut the exhaust down, and reweld the elbow, but I find that in stronger wind i get a puff here and there in my face, so if I had it to do over again, I would have had the horizontal kit put on at the dealer, and I'll probably end up switching it out to that anyway.

/ 5075E vs 5075M
Thanks for the heads up about the exhaust. How do you like your 5045 other than the occasional face full of exhaust? All this talk about the new tractor is making my mouth water, so I am pretty sure I'm going to place the order as early as tomorrow. I see that my dealer has a used 2520, so I am also kicking the idea around of picking that up (assuming the price is right). My primary concern is the 5 series being too big to use around the house and in the garden, so it seems a used, smaller tractor could be the cure to that problem.

/ 5075E vs 5075M #18  
Thanks for the heads up about the exhaust. How do you like your 5045 other than the occasional face full of exhaust? All this talk about the new tractor is making my mouth water, so I am pretty sure I'm going to place the order as early as tomorrow. I see that my dealer has a used 2520, so I am also kicking the idea around of picking that up (assuming the price is right). My primary concern is the 5 series being too big to use around the house and in the garden, so it seems a used, smaller tractor could be the cure to that problem.

It has lived up to everything I expect from it, Has good power, has all that I need to get the jobs done around my homestead, and in my opinion, it's a very handsome looking machine too...I looked at the 2520 before picking up the 5045, but for what I'm doing with it, the 2520 was just too small for the price difference. I had also considered a 990(Yanmar) Deere, the only thing that deterred me from that one was the lack of folding ROPS...Don't know what the other guys thoughts are on the 990's but I thought it looked like a really capable machine too, and the Yanmar's are pretty bulletproof...

/ 5075E vs 5075M #19  
Maybe I'm just further confusing the issue for you but I want to add what I thought about when I decided to get a used 5105M. It is a bigger and better tractor than I could afford new. I preferred the older 5M series anyway because it has 5" shorter wheelbase than the newer 5M's. It's actually .2" shorter than the 5e's. The other advantage is less emission equipment than the newer 5M's which helped keep the initial price lower.

There are low hour 5M's out there that would save you considerable money over buying new and get you all the bells and whistles, and comfort, that come with the 5M tractors for less money than you would spend for a new 5e.

Enjoy your search.

/ 5075E vs 5075M #20  
T Dew,
Just a thought but if you fully intend to do all of this I think I would see about getting the equipment now rather than later with more Tier 4 costs added on. I strongly suspect that prices will be going up alot of the next couple of years so waiting may cost you. That is your call though.

As for which tractors it would seem that surveying the work that needs to be done and which size tractors would work the best is how I would decide. Assuming you will get two tractors you should be able to get the best combination for your jobs. Trying to pick one tractor to do everything would be tough and would lead to too many compromises imo.

Good luck with it and have fun.