5105 Won't Crank

/ 5105 Won't Crank #1  

redlevel

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 4800
I mowed about three hours late yesterday. Pulled it under the shelter and shut it off. Went to crank it late today. Starter turns over fine, but tractor will not start. I am not familiar at all with the JDs. Sounds like fuel isn't getting to the cylinders. Plenty of fuel in the tank. Is there a switch or relay or connection I need to check? I didn't have time to look much this afternoon.

Help, please.

/ 5105 Won't Crank #2  
Same Problem. Battery great. Cranks. Drained a tiny amount of water from separator. Thinking the same thing as redlevel but can't find any reason it won't start.

/ 5105 Won't Crank #3  
Are you blowing any fuses? And does the fuse blow as soon as you turn the key?

If yes, to both questions, I believe the problem is the temperature sensor. On the thermostat housing there is a temperature sensor that is connected to a two wire harness that goes to the injection pump; this is the "cold start advance" portion of the system so it starts easier when cold by advancing the timing.

If you disconnect the sensor and it works fine ohm test the sensor, probably shorted.

The sensor on the thermostat housing controls the advance on the injection pump. When it fails it shorts out and blows the fuse. Try unplugging it, replace fuse and see if it starts and runs. The part # is RE503242, (see picture) if you are quick changing it, you don't have to drain the coolant, just make sure it's not hot at the time. You will want a pan under the tractor to catch the coolant, so as not too have to clean it up.

You may need to re-prime the fuel system, if it still does not start.

To comply with the exhaust emissions regulation, the timing of injection pump
should be around 6 to 9 degrees before TDC. This timing values do not allow proper start-up operations when engine is cold. To ease engine start-up, a cold advance system gives to the injection pump a temporary over-timing.

URL to JD parts
jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt

Attachments

• RE503242.jpg
    RE503242.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,154
   / 5105 Won't Crank #4  
I agree with JD5210. Those model tractors have long history of that sensor shorting out.

/ 5105 Won't Crank #5  
Thanks JD5210 and Tx Jim. This is my weekend project. Will let you know what I find.

/ 5105 Won't Crank #7  
Clint
Thanks.
I don't read the newspaper and am too cripple to go to meetings so I was unaware of any election.
Jim

/ 5105 Won't Crank
Thanks for the replies. The temp sensor is what the technician at the dealer suggested over the phone. I unplugged the sensor, and still wouldn't start. I called a retired JD mechanic who is a friend. He came out and tested all the switches and relays. He discovered that even with the temp sensor unplugged, it was blowing the fuse as soon as the ignition was turned on. He believes that a solenoid switch inside the fuel pump is shorted out. He wouldn't tackle pulling the pump off because of the need for some specialized tools he doesn't have. Looks like it will be down for a few days until I can somehow get it loaded and hauled to the dealer 70 miles away.

Dang the technology. Makes me want to go back to an old 70s 175 MF. I have had trouble with other tractors with myriad switches, solenoids, etc that just were not on the old stuff. Aggravating.

/ 5105 Won't Crank #9  
I hear ya on not being a fan of fancy stuff on tractors. I'm looking high and low and everywhere in between for a bush hogging/ backup tractor and I told my dealer one of the requirements was it was to be between mid 60's to late 80's.

/ 5105 Won't Crank
Dang the technology. Makes me want to go back to an old 70s 175 MF. I have had trouble with other tractors with myriad switches, solenoids, etc that just were not on the old stuff. Aggravating.

After $1350 that I could have put to good use somewhere else, the tractor is running again. 481 hours total on the meter. Very discouraging. The injector pump had to be replaced. Rebuilt JD unit with one-year warranty. Probably, there was just a bad switch inside the pump, but the shop manager said they were not allowed to go inside the pumps. Sounds fishy, but there it is.

Makes me want to go back to some 60s technology. I could replace an entire engine for that on an old Ford or MF from the 60s/70s.

I'm a very unhappy camper. I went to a low hour, major brand unit to avoid such crap as this. :mad: I sold two S&W revolvers to cover the cost. That hurts.