520 Wheel Horse not charging

/ 520 Wheel Horse not charging #12  
Hello All! New to the site...just found it by searching for the same problem others are experiencing. I have a 1994 Toro Wheel Horse 520. Onan 20 HP motor, with a 48" mower deck that still out cuts every other mower I have seen or tried. The only problem is that as it ages things keep going wrong - not much unlike my old bones... Anyway, last summer the charging system apparently took a dive because it no longer shows it charging and after so long the tractor stops running and the battery is drained. I can charge the battery up with an external charger and when fully charged it runs great for awhile. After some time it needs to be charged again leading me to believe the charging system is bad - ? Any help or can I get one of those manuals as well? Thanks everyone. I love still Love this Old TORO and hope to keep it till, well I'm gone.

/ 520 Wheel Horse not charging #13  
Hope you stay a happy Wheel Horse owner. I have 3 currently, 1989 310-8, 1991 520H and 1994 520H which someone ran out of oil. (will be a 522H when finished)
Had the same "not charging" problem on the 1991 520H in 2014. It was an easy fix as I borrowed the regulator off the bad engine from my 1994 (Nothing has to be removed for access. located on the top of engine toward the left rear, one bolt to remove it and 3 wires to plug in) and the charging system started working. Later went to eBay and purchased a new after market part which cost about $11 and it is working great. You might have another another problem but this part is low cost and easy to change. There is a site at Red Square (need model and serial numbers) which has manuals free to down load which I have used. Believe some of the forum posts here have step by step directions on trouble shooting the charging system if you want to check everything before you change a part. It would help to have a digital meter to do the checks.
I am currently doing an engine swap on the 1994 using a 22HP Predator V from Harbor freight. It has plenty of power and uses less fuel than the Onan 20 HP.
To get the drive belt alignment and for the PTO mechanism to function properly, I raised the engine 1 7/16". The available "plug in wiring" for this swap I checked on did not include tach or oil pressure hook ups. I worked out where to drill for the oil pressure switch for power to the hour meter and oil pressure light. Working on connecting tach leads. Do not know if I need to connect to both coils or only one to get an accurate RPM reading. Purchased a later ignition switch for magneto as the "run" position needs to be open and "off" to ground the coils.

Last edited:
   / 520 Wheel Horse not charging #14  
Thanks for the reply...most helpful and will check into it when spring arrives as it is in storage now. I have had this Wheel Horse for 20 years now and although parts are getting harder to come by, will not retire it till I retire permanently... Sounds like a fun project. I used to do a lot of car stuff - a special bond I had with my late father, Even took a plane jane 1983 Chevy shortbox fleetside pickup that came with a 6 cyl 3spd, only options it had..., and put in a 400 SB with a Turbo 350 in it and added PS, PB, oil cooler, 4 core radiator, tilt wheel, stereo with 6 disck cd and amp (no mods done to dash - kept all metal intact...) 2nd saddle tank with factory switch and then took a rear tank out of a blazer and added that to make sure I could do a cross country trip without having to stop too often for gas...expensive fill up when I did. Anyway, it was fun but now in the past as my father past 10 years ago so now maybe I should get into the garden tractor playing? Thanks again and best with the project.

/ 520 Wheel Horse not charging #15  
Thanks for the reply...most helpful and will check into it when spring arrives as it is in storage now. I have had this Wheel Horse for 20 years now and although parts are getting harder to come by, will not retire it till I retire permanently... Sounds like a fun project. I used to do a lot of car stuff - a special bond I had with my late father, Even took a plane jane 1983 Chevy shortbox fleetside pickup that came with a 6 cyl 3spd, only options it had..., and put in a 400 SB with a Turbo 350 in it and added PS, PB, oil cooler, 4 core radiator, tilt wheel, stereo with 6 disck cd and amp (no mods done to dash - kept all metal intact...) 2nd saddle tank with factory switch and then took a rear tank out of a blazer and added that to make sure I could do a cross country trip without having to stop too often for gas...expensive fill up when I did. Anyway, it was fun but now in the past as my father past 10 years ago so now maybe I should get into the garden tractor playing? Thanks again and best with the project.

Sounds nice. Building is a great pass time. Have a few Vega's in my past. Had 4 of them in the 70's. "75" hatch back was one I loaded up by adding PS, tilt wheel. factory cruise, reclining drivers seat, sport suspension, custom exhaust and GT interior. Left drive line stock so it was good everyday driver. With the "74" notch back, (had a real trunk) did an engine transplant, 283ci Chevy V-8 with Turbo 350. Fun to drive but impractical with 55 mph speed limit. Now I am working on tractors, both small and large. Being retired helps some but not much. First Wheel Horse was a one owner "77" C-160 in 1985 from a Dr. with lots of equipment. Added Ag lug tires and wheel weights, clevis hitch and did everything with it. Arthritis convinced me to upgrade to a one owner 1991 520H to get away from the manual lift in 1995. It came with the 60" deck. Added Ag lug tires, wheel weights and clevis hitch. Bought the 310-8 with 36" deck in 2010 to mow narrow strips between fences and hedges that I had been using a push mower on. 18 months ago the 1994 520H was setting on a ditch bank where it was left after being run out of oil. Two men were preparing to haul it across the scales for scrap and I saved them the trouble by paying them $25 and hauling it home. It was also a one owner, that came with a 48" deck, but not cared for. It was stored outside so paint, decals and seat look terrible. Put a 8 HP Sears David Bradly engine on it last summer to mow with it and check it out. Very under powered, but the gear reduction steering, lift and transmission work better than my nice looking one. That's why I am doing the 22 HP engine upgrade. Mechanically it is nearly done and runs great. Needs rewire completed, then paint and decals. By the way , when you need help to keep your Onan running, "Sooner Influence" is a good man to know for parts and info. Hope the charging system is an easy fix for you.

/ 520 Wheel Horse not charging #16  
Sounds nice. Building is a great pass time. Have a few Vega's in my past. Had 4 of them in the 70's. "75" hatch back was one I loaded up by adding PS, tilt wheel. factory cruise, reclining drivers seat, sport suspension, custom exhaust and GT interior. Left drive line stock so it was good everyday driver. With the "74" notch back, (had a real trunk) did an engine transplant, 283ci Chevy V-8 with Turbo 350. Fun to drive but impractical with 55 mph speed limit. Now I am working on tractors, both small and large. Being retired helps some but not much. First Wheel Horse was a one owner "77" C-160 in 1985 from a Dr. with lots of equipment. Added Ag lug tires and wheel weights, clevis hitch and did everything with it. Arthritis convinced me to upgrade to a one owner 1991 520H to get away from the manual lift in 1995. It came with the 60" deck. Added Ag lug tires, wheel weights and clevis hitch. Bought the 310-8 with 36" deck in 2010 to mow narrow strips between fences and hedges that I had been using a push mower on. 18 months ago the 1994 520H was setting on a ditch bank where it was left after being run out of oil. Two men were preparing to haul it across the scales for scrap and I saved them the trouble by paying them $25 and hauling it home. It was also a one owner, that came with a 48" deck, but not cared for. It was stored outside so paint, decals and seat look terrible. Put a 8 HP Sears David Bradly engine on it last summer to mow with it and check it out. Very under powered, but the gear reduction steering, lift and transmission work better than my nice looking one. That's why I am doing the 22 HP engine upgrade. Mechanically it is nearly done and runs great. Needs rewire completed, then paint and decals. By the way , when you need help to keep your Onan running, "Sooner Influence" is a good man to know for parts and info. Hope the charging system is an easy fix for you.

Hey umtg0jn - spring is here and I will be attempting to fix the Toro now. Appreciate the help/info provided and hope all is going well with your projects. I will post later the results of my repair attempt. Thanks again!

/ 520 Wheel Horse not charging #17  
I had a 520H with an Onan, the charging circuit was marginal at best when the tractor was new.

/ 520 Wheel Horse not charging #18  
know this post is old but for anyone who comes across it again I will be posting a link to the manuals I have for TORO and Wheel Horse machines.