53,54, or 5510?

/ 53,54, or 5510? #1  

poorboy

Silver Member
I have began my search seriously today looking for my '76 4000 ford replacement. I shouldn't say replacement but helper maybe. From all the info. I have read here since late summer and from the great performance of my roll baler and riding mower I'm really looking at the color green. Neighbor down the road has a new 5510 4-wd drive, I think that was the number. with a FEL. Beautiful and impressive machine, but a little more than I need or can afford. Ain't that just the way. I priced a 5320 and a 5410 today both were within a couple of thousand of each other but I could only compare size on paper since the 54 wasn't in stock. Sizewize how do they compare and what is a comparable model in the new holland area. So many options and dimensions I'm not sure what I need. A twenty thousand dollar decision figures out to be about a dollar per question raised at the end of the day.

I'm leaning to take a look at the 54 the next trip at a neighboring dealer. I have a disc mower and a 4x4 baler and about 50 cows to keep up in spare time. A FEL is also in the picture. What is a hood guard? I feel like I'm rambling on here but the questions have'nt even started. I'm still open to blue but my three year old is hung up on green. I guess the mower swayed him. We have mysteriously accumulated an assortment of JD implements from santa. Any help or comments are needed! I'll let you know what happens next.

/ 53,54, or 5510? #2  
I own a JD 5300. The 5310 is the newer version. The difference between a 5300 and 5400, is the 5400 is turbocharged while the 5300 isn't. This is probably true for the 5310 and 5410. Otherwise they are very similar tractors. The 5510 has a different engine which I believe is turbocharged, an additional cylinder and physically larger and heavier. I was tempted to get a 5400 when I found a used 5300 with 900 hrs and FEL. Have been very satisfied with tractor. Unless you feel you really need the few additional HP from the 5410, the 5310 should do well. These tractors hold their value well. I bought my 5300 with FEL for $19,000 three years ago and they still sell for about that price with more hours on the same kind of tractor.

/ 53,54, or 5510? #3  
Is the $20K your shopping number? New, used, MFWD with FEL? Do you want to stay with the same hp & wt as your 4000? If so, take a look at the John Deere 5205 series. Just about identical with your Ford, except green. Much nicer ergonomics and better hydraulics.

If you're stuck on the $20k price new, don't waste your time looking at the 5310, 5410, 5510. (add about $4500 to each up up up!)

/ 53,54, or 5510? #4  
That 5300 is an outstanding tractor! John Deere did their homework on that original 5000 series design. They sure got every drop of hp out of that 179 ci PowerTech engine. I believe the current 5205 is very close to your 5300. Is your's the MWFD? Any problems yet?

/ 53,54, or 5510? #5  
John Miller: Yes mine is MFWD. I did have one episode of MFWD problem. It was really my fault. I was digging into a mound of hard dirt with the front end engaged, heavy blade on the back and fluid in the rear tires. I heard a pop and the front end quit working. I sheared a bolt in one of the hubs. I put a tremendous amount of stress on the front end while lifting and the MFWD was engaged. Nearly all of the weight of the tractor and loader is now on the front end. Luckily, only cost me $125 for the dealer to fix. I thought I had done some real damage. I had asked three separate dealerships if they ever had problems with the MFWD on the 5000 series. All stated they had never repaired any MFWD 5000's. I think this speaks well of the design

/ 53,54, or 5510? #6  
A hood guard is kinda misnamed. It really is a front end guard not a hood guard. Its just a metal frame that attaches the front bumber on the tractor and provides some protection for the front grill of the tractor. If you are using an FEL its a must have.

JD has announced, and I would think it was available now, an armouring package for those of us crazy/desperate enough to take their tractor in the woods. It has a real hood guard that covers the top of the tractor from falling objects. It does not protect the operator just the tractor. :cool: From my quick glance at the marketing info the armouring package had a beefed up grill guard that had wire mesh to try to protect the tractor front being speared. The hood guard that I have seen sold with the FEL's does protect the front end but it seems to be designed to prevent damage from large object falling into the grill. A log rolling into the front of the tractor would be protected by the grill guard. If the END of the log hit the front of the tractor and it was fairly small say six inches or less it would have a good chance of getting through the grill guard and spearing the tractor. The armoured guard would have a better chance of stopping somthing like this.

Hope this make sense.....
Dan McCarty

/ 53,54, or 5510?
Thanks you guys for all of the info. The dealer priced a 5320, I'm not sure of the difference between it and a 5310 for 20,000 even with the syncshuttle trans mission and dual hydros and ext.on the 3-pt. hitch and 21900 for the 5410 with the same setup. With the FEL guard bucket and hay fork, and hood guard installed was 4200 extra. The 54 on the lot had a cab and was on the other end so it was hard to compare the size the 5510 was on another side so I really couldn't compare either in size. Is the 54 and 53 closer in body size than the 54 and 5510? He said the 54 was a 4cyl. with out the turbo and the 53 had the turbo 3cyl..
It was cold and windy when I stopped in and I was really in town to price the new holland dealer. But like I said before I have really been impressed by the jd products. Old blue in her heyday would have had trouble handling the additional acres pick up in the past few years. I kind of feel quilty putting her through last years season with only a 65' 2000 ford as help. I know you shouldn't get attached but when you get in a situation and it pulls through and you grow up on it it's hard not to. Thanks again guys any comments are welcome and needed. Just checked out the link, thanks roysallis it was what I was needing.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by poorboy on 01/30/01 09:20 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ 53,54, or 5510? #9  
Actually the 5310 is a turbo'd 5210, with maybe a slight driveline upgrade. The 5410 is a bigger machine. I really can't see much reason to buy the 5210. It shouldn't be any more fuel efficient since its naturally asperated, but cost of repairs might be a bit less. Its no more manuverable or lighter then the 5310. I really didn't think about this until I was ready to get a 5210 and a coworker pointed out the difference. The coast was not a big difference.

Does anybody know the magic words to get a sheet on the forestry package for the deere. JD used to make a vandal package for tractors that came in handy for rough work.

Pat

/ 53,54, or 5510? #10  
FYI some info was just posted to Deere.com about the 5000-twenty series tractors... brand new line: http://www.deere.com/deerecom/_Newsroom/5000_2001.htm

I have always been very impressed with JD's 5000 ten series... the 5000 twenty looks to be a minor update...

msig.gif