54'' deck on X700 series.

/ 54'' deck on X700 series.
I try not to cut too much off in one go, but the problem with BC is everything grows, instantly. If I cut the grass Monday morning, by that evening you can tell a difference if you look at it closely. I keep the grass very short so I can keep up with it. If I cut it by the rule of thumb, 1/3, by the time the weekend comes and I can get to it, it's so thick and heavy that the discharge quality is terrible. I am not a fan of bagging because clippings have a lot of nutrients and moisture in them that acts as a natural fertilizer that's free.

One benefit to the very short lawn is when we play fetch with the dogs they can find the toys easy!

/ 54'' deck on X700 series. #22  
I try not to cut too much off in one go, but the problem with BC is everything grows, instantly. If I cut the grass Monday morning, by that evening you can tell a difference if you look at it closely. I keep the grass very short so I can keep up with it. If I cut it by the rule of thumb, 1/3, by the time the weekend comes and I can get to it, it's so thick and heavy that the discharge quality is terrible. I am not a fan of bagging because clippings have a lot of nutrients and moisture in them that acts as a natural fertilizer that's free.

One benefit to the very short lawn is when we play fetch with the dogs they can find the toys easy!

Same here on the cut every other day in some situations. Over the past couple of years I have been raising my cutting height higher and higher. I feel that most cut too short. Having a taller lawn helps control weeds and I've been liking this in our case. I've been riunning in the neighborhood of 3 to 3.5" cut height I believe.

/ 54'' deck on X700 series. #23  
I hear what you're saying and am with you on all of that. Accept my grass here in PA doesn't grow quite as fast as yours in BC. Accept maybe early Spring. But I swear the Dandelions duck their heads every time I make a pass while mowing. Mow in the morning and they are taller than the cut grass in the afternoon, all season long.

/ 54'' deck on X700 series. #24  

You should try the JD mulching kit. I have it on my 62" and the clippings just disappear.

You should try the JD mulching kit. I have it on my 62" and the clippings just disappear.

I don't like the idea of mulching because your keeping everything underneath the deck. Grass has nowhere to go but down, and if the grass is damp at all, your deck will be clogged full in no time. I have found with mulching that cleaning the deck becomes a very regular thing.

My plan is to run gator blades on this deck. They did wonders on the old Craftsman, so they should do even better here. I found with the gators as long as the grass didn't get away on me, you could never tell I didn't bag it, and the underside of the deck was clean too.

/ 54'' deck on X700 series. #26  

Cutting it longer doesn't mean cutting more grass. You still cut at the same timer intervals between mowing, and you cut off the same amount. A taller lawn is healthier, less likely to scalp, reduces weeds, and holds up better when it's dry. You should never cut below about 3" on most grass types no matter how fast it grows.

/ 54'' deck on X700 series. #27  
Cutting it longer doesn't mean cutting more grass. You still cut at the same timer intervals between mowing, and you cut off the same amount. A taller lawn is healthier, less likely to scalp, reduces weeds, and holds up better when it's dry. You should never cut below about 3" on most grass types no matter how fast it grows.

I agree, keeping grass at least 3" long gives you all the benefits Gittyup mentioned. I wish my lawn would grow as fast as the OP's. I can't get mine to grow fast enough. There is nothing more relaxing to me than cutting a nice thick lawn on a sunny day.

I agree, keeping grass at least 3" long gives you all the benefits Gittyup mentioned. I wish my lawn would grow as fast as the OP's. I can't get mine to grow fast enough. There is nothing more relaxing to me than cutting a nice thick lawn on a sunny day.

I would have to agree with you there.

For me, the gratification comes from seeing your results immediately. You look behind you and see a beautiful lawn, while in front of you is uncut grass. It is nice to see that discharge chute spewing nice grass clippings on a sunny day.

/ 54'' deck on X700 series. #29  
I agree with cutting when it is about 4.5 inches and cutting it to 3.0 inches The grass just looks better and weed free for the most part.