Generator 540 PTO Generator Help.

/ 540 PTO Generator Help. #1  

rusty842

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M9540
I’m looking into buying a PTO generator rate for 540 RPMs. I’m wanting to run the generator off my 1000 RPM PTO. I have found adapters but was looking for someone that has done this. My tractor is 84 PTO HP and turns 540 RPM at 1250 Engine RPMS with the 1000 RPM shaft. The Generator that I’m looking at requires 50 HP at full load. Do you think the tractor will have enough HP operate the generator at 1250 RPM?

/ 540 PTO Generator Help. #2  
Bottom line, if the tractor can make 540 pto rpm, and you can get the shaft to fit, the generator will spin. Now.. if the genny wants 50 hp. ( sounds like a 24000w unit ), then you can be pretty sure that you will NOT get full generator capability out of an 84 pto hp machine, running at half speed. Keep in mind that half speed may and probably does not = half power... so don't assume that you have 42 pto hp available at 540 pto rpm. That machine / engine likely has a narrow power band that peaks right near the 1000 pto rpm setting.

The generator is still useable.. I just would not count on it being at full rated capability. As a bonus, you won't be able to thermally overload the generator, as the machine will run out of useable pto hp and drop the rpms out of frequency range before you hit the rated output of the generator.

/ 540 PTO Generator Help. #3  
The only problem that I could forsee other then hp to max out the generator is the stability of the governor at those rpm.
My Branson with the economy 540 running at 2/3 rpm does an excellent job,
my 574 running on the 1000 rpm shaft at half throttle the governor is not very stable when the load varies.

/ 540 PTO Generator Help. #4  
Agreed.. load management could be dicey.. all depends on the engine and gov.

/ 540 PTO Generator Help. #5  
I also agree with Lou...

When ever I've tried this, it never worked out as well as I thought it would...

I think it will work out for LIGHT loads, not so good as the loads get heavier...

SR

/ 540 PTO Generator Help. #6  
Does your tractor have the option of a 540 PTO? If yes it might be the best method of running the generator Vs trying to run off of the 1000 RPM PTO.

/ 540 PTO Generator Help. #7  
Yup, and while steady state loads will be more manageable, punchy all or nothing loads such as large motor starts ( large well pumps, air compressors, HVAC, etc ) will be very problematic, as you may need enough 'idle' throttle to create an over voltage situation so that the throttle at load is sufficient.

/ 540 PTO Generator Help. #8  
I知 looking into buying a PTO generator rate for 540 RPMs. I知 wanting to run the generator off my 1000 RPM PTO. I have found adapters but was looking for someone that has done this. My tractor is 84 PTO HP and turns 540 RPM at 1250 Engine RPMS with the 1000 RPM shaft. The Generator that I知 looking at requires 50 HP at full load. Do you think the tractor will have enough HP operate the generator at 1250 RPM?

I don't know the answer to your setup, but this is my experience.
17 KW 540 generator.
Kubota L4610 540 PTO
Hesston 1180 rated 105 HP, 540/1000 pto,
When we bought the Hesston, we had them hook it up to check HP @ 540 while in the 1000 rpm range. It tested @ 80 HP, somewhere around 1500 rpm. But it also tested to produce 120 HP @ about 2600 rpm, then started dropping rpm on up to 125 HP. We have used the generator with both tractors and I think they performed, something like the above answers to your post. Ours has a hertz meter with 58 to 62 range marked as green. We normally just set the throttle to 62 hertz under no load and it stays in the safe range under load.
We also use the 1000 rpm mode to mow pastures with a 20' bush hog, unless it is overgrown from no grazing.

/ 540 PTO Generator Help.
It has both 540 and 1000 pto. I was wanting to run it on the 1000 pto to attempt to conserve fuel and reduce noise.

I had not that about the governor not being as responsive at low rpms. I’m glad you brought it up.

/ 540 PTO Generator Help. #10  
Conserve fuel?

Due usage will be directionally proportional to electrical load.

You will most likely achieve BETTER due economy running the machine at rated rpm on the correct 540 setting vs running it out of its power band on the 1000.

There's no beating physics.. Electrical kilowatts and due will be tied, run the machine at its most efficient range to get best economy.