5420 stuck in park

/ 5420 stuck in park #1  

356mikey

Tractor
john deere 5420
I have a Deere 5420 with power reverser. Today I parked with clutch in put in park and let off clutch, tractor lurched forward and stalled, making a grinding noise. Lever was still in park and will not change to neutral.
I could not find where shift cable gets to a transmission control. Anyone have an idea what is going on with this? It will not start because it is not in neutral.

/ 5420 stuck in park #2  
The power reverser uses a pawl that locks the tractor when parked. I've heard of problems where people throw it into park when the tractor is still moving and break the pawl. IIRC, you have to split the tractor to replace it. Hopefully, you might just have a broken cable from the power reverser.

Does your clutch pedal seem to be acting alright?

/ 5420 stuck in park
The power reverser uses a pawl that locks the tractor when parked. I've heard of problems where people throw it into park when the tractor is still moving and break the pawl. IIRC, you have to split the tractor to replace it. Hopefully, you might just have a broken cable from the power reverser.

Does your clutch pedal seem to be acting alright?
clutch working fine. I tried the stuck in mfwd trick, jacked up a front wheel and rotated it front and back to limits. then tried to shift out of park and it worked. Everything feels normal now.

/ 5420 stuck in park #4  
Good deal. I read the thread title and thought to myself, why did he take a machine that sized to the park and how on earth did he get it stuck! Glade it worked out!