5425 fuel leak

/ 5425 fuel leak #1  

Johnnybarkeriii

Tractor
5425 John Deere
I've got an 06 5425 just hit 1000 hours seems as tho there's a leak just in front of the injection pump or the actual injection pump is leaking its self does anyone know if this is a common problem and what I need to do to fix it I run two other tractor one the same number just open cab and a 5625 that seems to leak around the same place. Thanks for any feed back

/ 5425 fuel leak #2  
Any chance of posting a picture of the leak? Difficult to tell what it is unless we can see it.

/ 5425 fuel leak
Yep !!!!! I keep forgetting to snap them will do tomorrow

/ 5425 fuel leak
Kinda hard to see but you can see the saturation line I've checked all the nuts holding it in place it tends to drip off the nut on the bottom but I don't think it's coming from there

Attachments

• image-3302835199.png
    image-3302835199.png
    807.4 KB · Views: 231
  • image-4244375598.png
    image-4244375598.png
    819.6 KB · Views: 225
  • image-1087552239.png
    image-1087552239.png
    802.5 KB · Views: 208
   / 5425 fuel leak #5  
I have the exact same problem on my John Deere 5425 with 1250 hours. Was this question ever answered?

/ 5425 fuel leak #6  
I'm sure it was answered, but it obviously wasn't reported here. I, for one, can't make out any leaks in his photos, maybe you can. If you have "the exact same problem" maybe you can explain what it is? If it's a fuel leak "on" the pump itself, your best bet is to plan on removing the pump and sending it in for repair. There isn't much on those pumps that's "homeowner friendly" any more.

/ 5425 fuel leak #7  
Thanks for the reply. There are drops of fuel slowly dripping from the bottom bolt flange that attaches the pump to front engine housing. The pump is bone dry on top. Seems there is some type of weep hole on the side of the pump near the front. Possibly a seal has failed inside the pump?? There is much I don't know....yet. I plan to clean up everything extremely well and sit there and watch where the fuel is coming from. First, I am going to check my engine oil in hopes it is not over the full mark. Hopeful it is not in my crankcase. Yes, I agree what my next steps are likely to be. Disappointing this pump needs to be removed and possibly rebuilt with only 1240 hours. I sent this post with hopes of a simple solution. I need to get over the attitude of how this can fail so early and think I have now achieved that.

/ 5425 fuel leak #8  
I'd say chances are it failed more from age than from hours of use. Some seals can survive for many years but none are guaranteed to do so.

Having never seen a weep hole on one of those pumps I rather doubt there is one. I'd pay close attention to the oil level and consistency.

/ 5425 fuel leak #9  
U see the “bump-out” on the mounting flange between the top nut and bottom nut.??
That’s where a weep hole is on the other side of the pump (engine side)..
Reach under or over the pump and see if u can feel it.
Normally they’re on the side of the name plate so u can see it..

/ 5425 fuel leak #10  
Yes, it has a bump out between the top and bottom flange bolts but on the outward side of pump and not toward engine. Yes, same side as name plate. Would say maybe "4:30" location. I checked the engine oil, and it is at same level as 20 hours ago. It also has the proper odor. I felt safe to complete a task with the tractor this morning as I prepare to have the tractor down for repair. Something very strange happened this morning.....it did not leak. When I detected the leak, it was a slow steady and consistent drip that made the front engine block wet. Today there was nothing. Mechanical problems do not self-correct!! I was in contact with Deere dealer. He said the same as Harry above regarding the pump can leak regardless of hours. He mentioned the pump has a weep hole between the seal that blocks engine oil and a seal that bocks the fuel and once seen, do not ignore it. The technician he needs to speak with about my particular problem was out on service calls. Will be following up next week. Also plan to call a pump repair shop that rebuilt another pump for me 4 years ago and ask a few questions. Thanks for the interest and suggestions. Will post updates.