55 gal barrel dumper

/ 55 gal barrel dumper #1  

cowsrus

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 6110, JD 5510
I would like some ideas for building something for my FEL that will let me attach a 55 gal barrel to it and dump them. The FEL will not tip them enough to allow them to empty out the barrel. I've searched the internet looking for something like this to copy, but i haven't had any luck. Surely someone has built something similar.

/ 55 gal barrel dumper #3  
Years ago we were digging out our basement. Shoveled into a barrel that had two chains welded to the top. Used a bobcat to lift them up thru a hole in the wall. I had a third chain welded to the bottom. I would set the barrel in the bin, unhook the top chains and then use the bottom one to dump/tip it. Then I would rehook the top chains and it was back to the basement.....
Not the quickest for one person with a FEL, but I could do all this by just leaning forward in the bobcat.

/ 55 gal barrel dumper #4  
are you talking about dumping a regular drum, or filling it and moving material of sorts?

If you are talking of moving material, like getting cement out of a truck and packing it to pour, I made one. It has an angle iron on the bottom so the cutting edge of the bucket will slip into it and a hook so a chain can be taken underneath the bucket, up the backside, around the bucket and with a binder tightened into the bucket. You may have to put a couple of angles up the back of the drum to reinforce it. I did cut the barrel from the front edge sloping somewhat to the rear so it could be scraped out easily when dumping. It works well, sure beats a wheelbarrow.

/ 55 gal barrel dumper #5  
are you talking about dumping a regular drum, or filling it and moving material of sorts?

If you are talking of moving material, like getting cement out of a truck and packing it to pour, I made one. It has an angle iron on the bottom so the cutting edge of the bucket will slip into it and a hook so a chain can be taken underneath the bucket, up the backside, around the bucket and with a binder tightened into the bucket. You may have to put a couple of angles up the back of the drum to reinforce it. I did cut the barrel from the front edge sloping somewhat to the rear so it could be scraped out easily when dumping. It works well, sure beats a wheelbarrow.

I would like to see pictures of that if you have any.

/ 55 gal barrel dumper #6  
pics. Not on the bucket, but you can see how it fits. The cutting edge slips into the angle, and the chain pulls from there back around the back of the bucket and around the barrel to keep it in.

Attachments

• P1030598.jpg
    P1030598.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 386
  • P1030602.JPG
    P1030602.JPG
    361.9 KB · Views: 566
   / 55 gal barrel dumper #7  
lol, sorry, we were at a museum, will get another one up.

Attachments

• P1030600.jpg
    P1030600.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 501
   / 55 gal barrel dumper #8  
Here are a couple of options.
They are from C&H distributors.
Both are designed to be used with a forklift, but I'm sure a bit of modifications would make them work with a loader bucket.

drum-1.jpg

drum-2.jpg

/ 55 gal barrel dumper #9  
I made one for my shops burn barrel a few years ago. I had somebadplate t hat was too rough to use any where so i welded it to the sides of thebarrel just past the halfway point on the barrel. I welded a 5/8ths bolt on each side onto the plates. Then I put a steel strap from one side to the other over the top to make a a hook up like a bucket bail. I burned a hole in each strap end to go over the bolts. I made a hole in one of the straps that matched a hole in the side of the barrel.

It made iteasy to pic the barrel up with the skid loader or backhoe and pull t he pin out and raise it up and it would dump it all the way over and out. I could burn in it 2 or 3 months and then when i had a load of rubbish going tot he landfill I would dump it in the dump truck to take with the rest of the rubbish. It worked pretty good, I copied it from a container I got from a tile plant that was used to dump drops into a recycler.

/ 55 gal barrel dumper
Taylortractornut : Thats sounds like it would work for me. Do u have any pics or a drawing? I'm not visualizing exactly how it works as far as picking it up with the FEL and dumping it all the way to empty it out.