55 gal. oil barrel ~ use to store/deliver off road diesel?

/ 55 gal. oil barrel ~ use to store/deliver off road diesel? #1  

Coyote machine

Tractor
22 SANY SY 50U, '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 BB, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Brush Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy
I have a brand new tractor and need to buy 100 gallon minimum to have my oil supplier deliver to my barn.
My thinking is to use two clean barrels to store off road diesel and buy a 12 volt pump with filter to deliver fuel to my tractor.

Does the barrel's bung fit the same size pump as a standard diesel transfer tank?

Any reason not to do what I'm contemplating?

Thanks for answers- in advance....:)

/ 55 gal. oil barrel ~ use to store/deliver off road diesel? #3  
That is how a lot of us started out. I bought 3 barrels and a $25 HF hand pump to start then ended up making a 300 gallon gravity tank out of one of those plastic clear totes with a metal cage. Did not like the idea of being reliant on a pump.

Chris

/ 55 gal. oil barrel ~ use to store/deliver off road diesel?
Thanks for the replies.
BTW, Diamondpilot isn't that a boat in your signature?!
You do know this is a TRACTOR site right?!;)
Nice boat; I have a MAKO Bayshark with 200hp DFI Merc saltwater engine; **** sure wish I could jam it into my tractor- wow would that tractor fly!!

/ 55 gal. oil barrel ~ use to store/deliver off road diesel? #5  
I have a brand new tractor and need to buy 100 gallon minimum to have my oil supplier deliver to my barn.
My thinking is to use two clean barrels to store off road diesel and buy a 12 volt pump with filter to deliver fuel to my tractor.

Does the barrel's bung fit the same size pump as a standard diesel transfer tank?

Ya mean something like this?

/ 55 gal. oil barrel ~ use to store/deliver off road diesel? #6  
I built this rig back in november.

100_2582.jpg

My thinking is to use two clean barrels to store off road diesel and buy a 12 volt pump with filter to deliver fuel to my tractor.Does the barrel's bung fit the same size pump as a standard diesel transfer tank?
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/1658956-post22.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/142921-ideas-fuel-transfer.html

/ 55 gal. oil barrel ~ use to store/deliver off road diesel? #7  

*Any reason not to do what I'm contemplating?
;)
*Do a search on lbrown59.
Have posted a wealth of information on he subject over the years. :)

/ 55 gal. oil barrel ~ use to store/deliver off road diesel?
Lbrown59,
Your setup looks interesting. What were those drums used for originally?
Do you have a description of the flow and valving on the system you show in the pic?
Do you add any additives to the tanks to reduce bacterialogical growth- to disperse water, etc?

/ 55 gal. oil barrel ~ use to store/deliver off road diesel? #9  
Coyote,

I am located in the Upper Valley area. I tried to call my local supplier since they deliver off road to a store about 5 miles from my house. They will not deliver to drums and for customers who will use less than 1,000 gallons a year. Can you provide me with a contact for your source if they are near the Upper Valley area?

In the meantime I am looking to built a rack for a 55 gallon plastic drum for a gravity feed transfer. I would like to use the forks to move it around. My only concern is hauling on the road to fill it and being DOT certified.

The five gallon method is getting real old and time consuming.

Mike

/ 55 gal. oil barrel ~ use to store/deliver off road diesel? #10  
Lbrown59,
Your setup looks interesting.
1*What were those drums used for originally?
2*Do you have a description of the flow and valving on the system you show in the pic?
3*Do you add any additives to the tanks to reduce bacterialogical growth- to disperse water, etc?
1*Stuff used to clean water lines at water treatment plants.
2* The pump is rated 10 gal. a minute.
3* 1 quart of power service [ white bottle ] in the 55 gallon drum before filling.
I never fill the drum unless it's completely emty; and yet I never run out of fuel in it.
This keeps the level of additive always thes ame and constant.
This is just one of the many unique fratures about my set up.

Check this out.
PICTURES comparing my new set up to the old one - TractorByNet.com

Last edited: