'58 IH 350 utility repair progress

/ '58 IH 350 utility repair progress #11  
Good videos steve. Sorry to see that it might come to an end over a simple bearing... has to be something you can do...

/ '58 IH 350 utility repair progress
Good videos steve. Sorry to see that it might come to an end over a simple bearing... has to be something you can do...

I went to a bearing supply house in the city today. No luck, but the guy said he would keep looking. He also gave me the name of a machine shop that has made custom bearings, but I shudder to think of the cost. I also wondered how well a split bushing might work. The bearing guy said he'd never seen one, but I'm thinking a machine shop could make one of those cheaper. I think I'll also post a wanted on some forums, seeing if a NOS part is out there somewhere.

Thanks for watching the horror unfold :laughing:

Steve W.

I've come to a crossroads with my 350U project. Bought this as a non runner, rebuilt the head, and got the motor running sweet only to find the power steering gear is broken. Tore the box down and found 2 issues. A small toothed bar called the rack is broken. Apparently a common issue because these are being sold aftermarket on a couple sites. the bigger problem is the special roller bearing that was used in this short lived configuration. this bearing does not exist in the manual steering gear box, and it cannot, I repeat cannot be crossed to any major bearing manufacturers. It is specially made to be install in sections so it can use the shaft as the inner race for the rollers, and the outer race just clears sector gears on both sides of the shaft. Might sound weird, but if you've ever seen one, you'd know what I mean. The only source for this part, are companies/ salvage yards that have a steering box, but they do not want to sell the bearing, only the complete box, and a refurbished box was offered to me for $1000, plus a core charge (they want my box). I wanted the tractor for loader work, and the loader, and truck tires up front is rough on these steering setups, so I am not confident in sinking that much more into it. I currently have it up for sale AS IS, but the current state of dis-assemblly makes it look un attractive to many who are not comfortable with working on machines. My current options are; 1) sell it AS IS, but with the rebuilt head, I won't take less than $2000, and I'm in Massachusetts, so most locals are scared away by the photos. 2) Part it out, with a good motor, hydraulic system, PTO, and tranny, and scrap metal value of what remains, I could do nicely, but that takes time, and I hate to see the old girl chopped up. 3) Have a machine shop make a new bearing ($$$??), then look into installing a bolt on power steering upgrade to take the force off the steering gear (jackson power steering system), again, more $$$ than I want to spend. 4) Install a completely differant steering system, somthing more conventional, with a sigle steering cylinder, and a tie rod. Problem is the way the front axle sits up into the front bolster to keep the front end low, creates problems with any tie rod setup I can think of. So I made this post, and look forward to any comments, and words of wisdom some mat have for me on the subject.

/ '58 IH 350 utility repair progress #14  
I am going to step out on a limb and suggest you find a local machine shop, maybe one with a water jet, to see what they can come up with. You are probably too close to the project so stepping back, and letting one of those machinist guys give you a quote would be my next step. Once you have a couple of quotes then you can figure your next step.

I am going to step out on a limb and suggest you find a local machine shop, maybe one with a water jet, to see what they can come up with. You are probably too close to the project so stepping back, and letting one of those machinist guys give you a quote would be my next step. Once you have a couple of quotes then you can figure your next step.

Good advice. I owe it to myself to at least see what they can do instead of assuming it will be too expensive.

I'll keep working the problem.

Regards,
Steve.

/ '58 IH 350 utility repair progress #16  
Steve - thanks for making the videos. Very informative!

/ '58 IH 350 utility repair progress #19  
stevewatr said:
Uploaded a short video showing the bad bearing in detail:

IH 350U Tractor Project Part 27 - YouTube

After watching this video, I feel that any standard machine shop with basic skills could fab this bearing up for a reasonable fee.

You might as well have two or three made, it's the first one that costs as it includes all of the setup / jig costs. The material cost will be minimal.

IF they are that impossible to find, you might work a deal with the machine shop - he builds them, you sell them and you split the money. The first one is a working no charge prototype you use in your build.

Contact places like Steiners, etc and sell them a dozen at a time.

Food for thought:)

After watching this video, I feel that any standard machine shop with basic skills could fab this bearing up for a reasonable fee.

You might as well have two or three made, it's the first one that costs as it includes all of the setup / jig costs. The material cost will be minimal.

IF they are that impossible to find, you might work a deal with the machine shop - he builds them, you sell them and you split the money. The first one is a working no charge prototype you use in your build.

Contact places like Steiners, etc and sell them a dozen at a time.

Food for thought:)

Thanks Dean, not a bad idea, but I am going to try and have the cracked race welded/ground, then make up some new rollers from hardened stock.......hope to have some news soon.