58 MF 202 lifters stuck

/ 58 MF 202 lifters stuck #1  

CTWright

Bronze Member
Tractor
1959 MF65 Diesel and 1959 Ford 641 gas
Im bringing a 1958 MF 202 with a loader back to life. After finding some valves stuck open and having the head redone Im now faced with getting some of the lifters unstuck. Penetrating fluid and tapping the lifters down has worked on all but three of the stuck lifters. Im making sure that the cylinders affected are at TDC while I tap the lifters down to avoid damaging the camshaft. Any words of wisdom on freeing stuck lifters is appreciated.

/ 58 MF 202 lifters stuck
Forgot to mention it has the Continental Z134 gas engine.

/ 58 MF 202 lifters stuck #3  
Does it appear to be carbon buildup causing the stuck situation? Something like Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil might help? Just guessing here, never dealt with this myself, but I know both of those help break down carbon buildup.

The tractor sat for 4-5 years so the build up could be from anything. I'll try both of your suggestions. I don't have a manual yet but if there is a way to get the lifters out while the engine is in the tractor that would be an option at this point.

The seafoam worked. Ive never used it for anything but fuel problems before. now I know. Thanks Shaeff!

Tractor is running now. Just need to sort out the power steering and charging circuit before it’s usable.

/ 58 MF 202 lifters stuck #7  
Great news! Hope it goes well. I have power steering work to do as well!

/ 58 MF 202 lifters stuck #8  
Glad that worked out for ya, Seafoam is pretty good stuff depending on your issue. I don’t usually suggest it, but for some things it just works.