5e series maintenence

/ 5e series maintenence #1  

dirkdaddy

Tractor
JD 5055e
I own a 2013 model 5055e, been a good tractor overall and I'm really pleased. While in the local deere dealership the other day confirming how much gear oil I needed for my 600 hour service and buying yet another $4 washer for the drain nut, I was given a service sheet for 5055e tractors by the parts department that did not jibe at all with the manual that came with my tractor.

Doing some research it appears that deere changed many of the service intervals after the 2013 model year. They now call for 250 hour oil and filter changes versus 100 hours in my manual and what really got me is that in my manual the front MFWD assembly calls for gl-5 gear oil while the newer manual specs deere hy gard hydraulic fluid for the front end.

I am starting to question which manual and service intervals to go by. I put on around 200 to 300 hours a year on the tractor, so extending oil changes to once a year versus two or three times would save me nearly $200 during a 300 hour year. And I sure don't want to put the wrong spec'ed oil in the front end. Why the change on deeres part? Did the MFWD assembly change that much in one model year? The oil filter numbers are the exact same, too.

/ 5e series maintenence #2  
Having many deere tractors of various ages on the farm, I won't be changing oil at every 100 hours for sure.

/ 5e series maintenence #3  
Having many deere tractors of various ages on the farm, I won't be changing oil at every 100 hours for sure.

Yes Sir, not even sure if it's started breaking down at that point.

Ronnie

/ 5e series maintenence #4  
100 hour is the break in oil. 250 hours after that. You can use either the gl5 gear oil or hygard in the axle. I think the reason is the seals tend to leak with the hygard but the gear oil is thicker and tends to stay in the axle where it's needed. My Kubota dealer told me that's what they recommend for their smaller tractors over what kubota specs.

/ 5e series maintenence
Called my dealer today and spoke with a tech up there. He insisted I follow what's in my manual because deere "completely changed" the engine from 2013 to 2014. As far as I can tell the only difference in the engines is that 2014 and after model years have the same 2.9l power tech 3 cylinder engine with all of the diesel particulate filter junk on it. But it's the same engine as the 2013 as far as I can tell. Same oil filter numbers, etc. Hopefully I can talk with an engineer at deere corporate next week.

/ 5e series maintenence #6  
Unless you personally know a Deere engineer, I wish you luck getting a personal talk with one. They don't have the time to answer such calls, or allowed to take the time (from personal experience). They will forward your call to your dealer.
But still hope it works for you. ;)

/ 5e series maintenence #7  
I've owned a JD 4255 since Feb '93 that has 11,400+ hrs on original engine that's had the engine oil & filter changed at 250 hr intervals ever since I bought it used. I use JD Torq-gard plus 50 oil & JD filter. Granted it's not the same engine but both your & my tractors have JD engines & technology.

/ 5e series maintenence #8  
why are you having to buy $4 washer

/ 5e series maintenence
why are you having to buy $4 washer
The oil drain plug had a one-time-use copper washer that is supposed to be replaced every time you change the oil. It starts out rounded and flattens out when you tighten the oil pan drain plug. It costs a cool $4 and some change. And no, I don't replace it every time I change the oil, just about every other time.

/ 5e series maintenence #10  
does the book tell you to change it or dealer. I have never change one, haven't done 5 series yet though