5m series vs 6m series

/ 5m series vs 6m series #11  
That is helpful information, thank you. I bale between 250 to 300 acres. I have an International 1086 that I like to mow with. It is 130 pto and handles my 10ft moco just fine. However, if it is down, I would like to be able to use this as a back up. But for the most part, I anticiapte the 5 or 6 series would be used to run the baler (4x5) and collect hay with my hydraulic arm bale trailer that will haul 10 bales. So I certainly appriciate that a bigger heavier tractor would handle the bigger load, but it is the loss of hp in the lower range 6m series that concernes me. With only 87 pto and my mower has a min requirement of 75, and I know from experience that the 130ptohp on my 1086 is the power range I need, I'm just concerned I will not be happy with the 6105m. To get enough hp to equal the 5115m I have to move up two models, and the price is just to high.

The 5115M is a good tractor with lots of hp both in engine and in PTO for its size. I plan on using mine for baling (nowhere near that many acres) but I wouldn't hesitate to use it for that many. It's a comfy tractor that I could spend all day in working rough fields and pastures.

/ 5m series vs 6m series #12  
That is helpful information, thank you. I bale between 250 to 300 acres. I have an International 1086 that I like to mow with. It is 130 pto and handles my 10ft moco just fine. However, if it is down, I would like to be able to use this as a back up. But for the most part, I anticiapte the 5 or 6 series would be used to run the baler (4x5) and collect hay with my hydraulic arm bale trailer that will haul 10 bales. So I certainly appriciate that a bigger heavier tractor would handle the bigger load, but it is the loss of hp in the lower range 6m series that concernes me. With only 87 pto and my mower has a min requirement of 75, and I know from experience that the 130ptohp on my 1086 is the power range I need, I'm just concerned I will not be happy with the 6105m. To get enough hp to equal the 5115m I have to move up two models, and the price is just to high.

My buddy uses his JD 3010 and JD 2640 with his hi-moisture 4x5 baler. They're both around 70hp @ pto. He puts up around 300 haylage bales (1,500-1,700lbs) and around 100 dry hay rounds (few hundred small squares, too) and those tractors hardly break a sweat! He's got a 10' JD MoCo (disc) that he cuts with too. (Can't remember the model number..) But, those tractor's swing that mower just fine.

The new, 5M's are heavier and longer - model changes with 2012 tractors.

If you're planning to use the tractor as a primary "backup" machine for the MoCo and generally run the baler and bale trailer - I think the 5115M would handle that work without a problem. In a pinch, for a season or part of a season - it should swing that MoCo without a problem as well.

AKfish

/ 5m series vs 6m series #13  
My buddy uses his JD 3010 and JD 2640 with his hi-moisture 4x5 baler. They're both around 70hp @ pto. He puts up around 300 haylage bales (1,500-1,700lbs) and around 100 dry hay rounds (few hundred small squares, too) and those tractors hardly break a sweat! He's got a 10' JD MoCo (disc) that he cuts with too. (Can't remember the model number..) But, those tractor's swing that mower just fine.

The new, 5M's are heavier and longer - model changes with 2012 tractors.

If you're planning to use the tractor as a primary "backup" machine for the MoCo and generally run the baler and bale trailer - I think the 5115M would handle that work without a problem. In a pinch, for a season or part of a season - it should swing that MoCo without a problem as well.

AKfish

But the problem is with the 5M's that is with the 18.4R30 standard tires they seem to bottom out and scrape the surface of the soil if its loose. If you need clearance, its better on a 6 series.

/ 5m series vs 6m series #14  
But the problem is with the 5M's that is with the 18.4R30 standard tires they seem to bottom out and scrape the surface of the soil if its loose. If you need clearance, its better on a 6 series.

That's just the standard tires, you can get some 420/85R34 for them, that will add some height and according to my dealer there is one more size bigger that you can add as well.

/ 5m series vs 6m series #15  
The 5's and 6's are both great tractor platforms, some jobs require a larger platform and some a smaller platform will work. If you need a backup for a 130 hp tractor I would look at the 6 series tractors. I know when I was running 18.4 38 tires there was plenty of ground clearance. While I like the 5115M and know it would be a great addition for my work I think you should be looking for a 6 series with at least 115 pto hp or more. I say this because while tractors are expensive you wouldn't wan't to be in the position of having to buy another large tractor while paying for this one. So I say cover yourself and get another full size tractor.

/ 5m series vs 6m series #16  

Slippy if it is in your price range I'd really consider the 6, but then your 1086 becomes more of a backup. I cut hay today with my 6330, I run a Kuhn 10' mower conditioner and it handles it perfectly, running 5-7 mph. I think the features of a modern tractor may make it more appealing to run. I've owned several Mannheims and I like them a lot. I also think you'll be happy hauling 10 bales at a time (no brakes?) with either big tractor.

The 5, like I said before, will make a fine backup tractor, but not sure what condition your International is in, and how much your 5M will be pressed into service. If you cut that much hay, and you can see your current big tractor costing you time and money, then a new 6 could be a good choice. The clearance is a good point. I had the swather choked down today since I'm baling from the swath for baleage tomorrow, and the extra clearance helps. Like you say, you can put bigger tires on your 5 too.

Any way you can test out a 6 on your mower? My mower calls for 80 hp PTO and the 80 on my 6330 handles it just fine. Runs a 5 x 4 baler just fine. Heres a video from cutting hay today

/ 5m series vs 6m series
Thats a thought. I will take a look. Thanks.

/ 5m series vs 6m series
To get 115 pto in the 6 series I would have to jump up two models. Thats a lot of $.

/ 5m series vs 6m series #19  
My 5105M has treated me fine for haying, grading, loader, and mowing.

Mike

/ 5m series vs 6m series #20  
If your 1086 is gettin' along in hours... maybe the "fill-in" role will really be a "replacement" role for whatever tractor you buy. If that's really the gist of the matter... maybe you should be lookin' at the 6D's.

I think the 5115M is a real capable platform. But, it might not be a good fit to shoulder the heavy lifting for 300 acres of hay @ 2-3 cutting's a season.

AKfish