6.0L vs. 8.1L in a Chevy truck

/ 6.0L vs. 8.1L in a Chevy truck #21  
Diamondpilot said:
454 was a 7.4L. 496 is a 8.1L. I do not remember seeing a 454 or 496 with a 6 speed, just a 5 speed and only the 8.1L was available with the Allison as a option if I remember right????

Chris

The 8.1L was available with the 6 speed Allison in 2006. A friend has a 2001 2500hd RCLB with 220,000 miles on it. He gets 10 mpg towing and unloaded. It has burned 1 quart of oil every 3000 miles since new. I have heard that changing to a 165 degree thermostat will stop most of the oil consumption.

/ 6.0L vs. 8.1L in a Chevy truck #22  
The 8.1L was available with the 6 speed Allison in 2006.

That is probably right. I think that was the last year for the 8.1L. That was the first year the Dmax also got a 6 speed. 05's and before like the one I had were a 5 speed.

Chris

/ 6.0L vs. 8.1L in a Chevy truck
Well, as it turns out, the 8.1 turned out to be a much better deal and a better truck in other aspects, so I bought it today. :thumbsup: This was not meant to "dis" the advice here! Thank you again to everyone for the opinions. Picture below:

TruckRegular.jpg

/ 6.0L vs. 8.1L in a Chevy truck #24  
Congrats! You certainly bought a stump puller. :thumbsup:
Now please change those clear "altezza" brake lights. :D

Now please change those clear "altezza" brake lights. :D

Ha! When I bought my Tahoe three years ago, it had the same nonsense. It also had one of those brushed aluminum gas doors. :rolleyes: I quickly managed to find someone on Craig's List who wanted to swap tail lights, fortunately, and I found a gas cap door at a junk yard that matched well enough.

The tail lights don't bother me quite as much on this truck, but they're still definitely not my thing. Factory look is fine.

/ 6.0L vs. 8.1L in a Chevy truck #26  
You may want to look at your truck's service history to see if the transfer case pump upgrade has been performed.
The 01-07 GM HD trucks have a design problem with the fit of the transfer case pump that usually rears it's head between 70K and 130K miles. There are multiple upgrade options available that cost between $40 and $150. If you do the upgrade yourself, you can save around 4 hours labor costs.

Here is a link to more info on the subject.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409915

/ 6.0L vs. 8.1L in a Chevy truck #27  
Congrats! That's a good looking truck, and that 8.1 is a beast of a gas engine.

Thank you for that info HHR.

And thanks Baucom. It's more truck than I need, but I suppose that beats not enough. I think I'll be spending more time driving my wife's Envoy now though!

/ 6.0L vs. 8.1L in a Chevy truck #29  
Thank you for that info HHR.

And thanks Baucom. It's more truck than I need, but I suppose that beats not enough. I think I'll be spending more time driving my wife's Envoy now though!

I'd doubt it. Once you mash the pedal in that 8.1L, you'll wonder why you ever consider any other gas powered truck. :thumbsup:

I'd doubt it. Once you mash the pedal in that 8.1L, you'll wonder why you ever consider any other gas powered truck. :thumbsup:

Somewhere along the way in aging only 35 years, I somehow became an old man and drive as such. I'll probably have the slowest 340HP on the road. :D