6 Acres of land and what to do?

/ 6 Acres of land and what to do? #11  
to have that much planted in alfalfa you will be right around $600 $800 if you prep the field yourself. I just did 7 acres. Next you will need to fertilize it every year, where I am thats 200 lbs. of potash/acre and 100 lbs. of ammonium sulfate/acre. pot ash is currently $82.50/acre and ammonium sulfate is $23.75/acre. Then you get to pay to have it spread only $5.50/acre.
Next comes harvest time. I found a guy that will cut and rake for $20/acre, and large square bales are $9.00/bale. For 6 acres with a good growth you will get around 20 - 25 bales first cutting and 15 - 20 for second cutting. You would need to check the price for large squares in your area to see if this will be worth you while. Oh I almost for got, you will need to build a pole barn to store your crop in. Figure on $8,000 - $10,000 for the size needed if you have a bare bones storage shed built.

I forgot about equipment needed. Your going to at least need to get a tiller and a set of forks for your FEL. You do have a FEL don't you? Good then its only going to cost you about $2000 - $2500 for a good tiller and set of hay forks.

Still interested???? If you answer yes, seek help immediately! :D

/ 6 Acres of land and what to do? #12  
pitt_md said:
to have that much planted in alfalfa you will be right around $600 $800 if you prep the field yourself. I just did 7 acres. Next you will need to fertilize it every year, where I am thats 200 lbs. of potash/acre and 100 lbs. of ammonium sulfate/acre. pot ash is currently $82.50/acre and ammonium sulfate is $23.75/acre. Then you get to pay to have it spread only $5.50/acre.
Next comes harvest time. I found a guy that will cut and rake for $20/acre, and large square bales are $9.00/bale. For 6 acres with a good growth you will get around 20 - 25 bales first cutting and 15 - 20 for second cutting. You would need to check the price for large squares in your area to see if this will be worth you while. Oh I almost for got, you will need to build a pole barn to store your crop in. Figure on $8,000 - $10,000 for the size needed if you have a bare bones storage shed built.

I forgot about equipment needed. Your going to at least need to get a tiller and a set of forks for your FEL. You do have a FEL don't you? Good then its only going to cost you about $2000 - $2500 for a good tiller and set of hay forks.

Still interested???? If you answer yes, seek help immediately! :D

You're right--getting into haying takes some up-front money. I have about $5500 invested in haying implements (all of which are pre-owned) and $19K-$8K(trade-in)=$11K sunk into my Mahindra 5525 2WD tractor with a 6-ft wide FEL.

DSCF0291Small.jpg

Of course, the 5525 is a general puprose tool that is mighty useful for jobs other than haying.

DSCF0036Medium.jpg

And the cost of haying consumables (fuel, fertilizer, seed) is high as you point out.

With only 7 acres, I'm haying mostly for enjoyment and for the learning experience. The cost of my hobby is not that scary considering what some of my neighbors pay for their hobbies/recreation.

Several have $5-10K ATVs (used mostly for getting the mail from the box, for setting out the trash container on Wednesdays, and to give the grandkids something to do when they visit), $10-15K bass boats and $20K+ travel trailers to enjoy the outdoor life. Three of my nearest neighbors are involved in that most expensive of hobbies--horses.

Costwise, it's all relative (A. Einstein, 1905)

/ 6 Acres of land and what to do? #14  
flusher said:
You're right--getting into haying takes some up-front money. I have about $5500 invested in haying implements (all of which are pre-owned) and $19K-$8K(trade-in)=$11K sunk into my Mahindra 5525 2WD tractor with a 6-ft wide FEL.

And the cost of haying consumables (fuel, fertilizer, seed) is high as you point out.

With only 7 acres, I'm haying mostly for enjoyment and for the learning experience. The cost of my hobby is not that scary considering what some of my neighbors pay for their hobbies/recreation.

Several have $5-10K ATVs (used mostly for getting the mail from the box, for setting out the trash container on Wednesdays, and to give the grandkids something to do when they visit), $10-15K bass boats and $20K+ travel trailers to enjoy the outdoor life. Three of my nearest neighbors are involved in that most expensive of hobbies--horses.

Costwise, it's all relative (A. Einstein, 1905)

A man can have a lot worse vice's than enjoying growing stuff. But with 7acres if you don't have any animals to feed the crop to you should be able to keep yourself a little cash every year. If your like most everyone though you will just blow it on more equipment...:D

/ 6 Acres of land and what to do? #15  
Can you till up some garden spots and do summer rentals to the locals that would like to grow there own. Start with a few and grow from there.
just a thought
Phil

/ 6 Acres of land and what to do? #16  
Thought about ginsing? Wild flowers? Semi-exotic plants?

/ 6 Acres of land and what to do? #17  
Wally:

Have you considered figs? I live in Chapel Hill, and have been growing them for my own consumption for the past 10 years. On 6 acres you could grow a lot of figs. They don't require good soil, need little fertilizer, minimal additional water, tolerate full sun or partial shade. There are many varieties that grow well in North Carolina, and are very tolerant of the cold. They can be eaten fresh, dried (like rasins), made into preserves or sold in a market. Another big plus is that the deer don't bother them. The only pest problem that I have had is the occasional bird or bees if you let them get too ripe on the tree.

Ken