Buying Advice 6 Foot rotary mower and CT235

/ 6 Foot rotary mower and CT235 #1  

Nlight

Bronze Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT235
Hi Guys!
Would a 6 foot rotary mower be OK for Bobcat CT235?
I am looking to purchase a Woods BB60x or BB72X. Bigger is not always better, Right?
Thanks!

/ 6 Foot rotary mower and CT235 #3  
Does your Operator's Manual advise you, regarding the weight and width of implements suitable for your model? Just a thought.

/ 6 Foot rotary mower and CT235 #4  
According to TractorData.com Bobcat CT235 tractor information, you have 34 and 26.5 engine and PTO HP, respectively; and a width of 55.4".

Woods specifies a minimum tractor HP of 25 for the BB60X and 30 for the BB70X: Rotary Cutters. I suspect, but do not know, that the minimum HP requirements are PTO-based. If so, you would be pushing it with the wider mower, especially in tall/thick grass, etc. You would be fine with the 60" cutter from a HP perspective, and you would be covering your wheel tracks.

Woods sells a lighter duty 72" cutter, the HC72, that requires only 20 HP. If you are concerned about saving time while mowing, that model would work if you aren't going to be cutting heavy brush, etc.

Steve

/ 6 Foot rotary mower and CT235 #5  
I haven't tried a 6' rotary cutter behind my CT335, but I can tell you it handles a 5'er easily. I've thought about trying a 6' model myself sometime, but with only a few acres of field to mow it isn't worth shopping for a bigger one.

The question really comes down to what you are planning to cut? how much you plan to cut? and how often?

/ 6 Foot rotary mower and CT235
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to answer most of the questions in one response.
I would be cutting grasses and if/when needed wild flowers for control of weeds. Eventually I can see mowing the 3+ acres of wild flowers annually in fall just for appearance, unless there is a reason not to.

I do not have any brush to deal with (at this time).

smstonypoint: The real world tire width is close to 61" tread to tread. I don't know if the dimension from TractorData is for Ag tires, or is just wrong. So, unless the 60" model really cuts 60" (I suspect it would be more like 58"wide,) there will be an issue with material laid down and not cut without a generous overlap on the next pass. I could be wrong, maybe they actually cut the width stated.

Could you speculate on why the HC model of a 72" would only require 20 HP? That unit is a model designed to compete with many other low cost units. However, your still swinging a 72" Blade back there and unless the gear ratio and blade speed make that much difference I would think the HP requirement would be the same.

I sure don't want to have to crawl along in order to keep PTO speed at design RPM.

/ 6 Foot rotary mower and CT235 #7  
The outside tire width with R4s on that tractor is 64" (according to the Op Manual). Rotary cutters Bobcat offered for that tractor was either the 60" or 72", these were the medium duty Rhino cutters.

/ 6 Foot rotary mower and CT235 #8  
I had a 5' on mine. It would drop a 100 or 200 rpm in real rough stuff. I think a CT235 would handle a 6' fine. It is nice having implements wider than your tires. If you get in some real thick stuff you can always take less of a cut.

/ 6 Foot rotary mower and CT235 #9  
I have a 6' on my CT230 but I just bought it this year so I haven't had a chance to get it in anything heavy but I think I recall it specifying the HP needed to run it. Mine is a County Line from TSC. I think you will be fine. I just bought mine to mow sunflowers for dove hunting so I don't know that I will ever have it in anything heavy.

/ 6 Foot rotary mower and CT235 #10  
I run a 72" finish mower behind my CT230 with no problems. It handles tall grass in mid range and regular cutting in high range.