6 Lug or 8

/ 6 Lug or 8 #1  

John White

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030
I see some trailers advertised as 12k gvw and have 6 lug. Looking at one now. All my previous trailers had 8.

/ 6 Lug or 8 #3  
never seen a 6 lug with that kind of gvw. Ask the dealer for manufacture's verification.
Personally I'm old school. 8lug for me. usually always comes with heavier bearings.

/ 6 Lug or 8 #4  
I see some trailers advertised as 12k gvw and have 6 lug. Looking at one now. All my previous trailers had 8.

Check the gvw tag for axle ratings. Also look at the suspension, are they slipper springs with a heavy duty equalizer or spring eyes with the light duty equalizer? Some manufactures are adding hitch weight to their gvw, so it might not add up to axle capacity. Such as two 5200 lbs axles for 10,400 lbs plus 1600 hitch weight to equal 12k gvw. Do your homework. Be careful of inferior axles too, if they don't advertise Dexter, they probably aren't.

/ 6 Lug or 8 #5  
Check the gvw tag for axle ratings. Also look at the suspension, are they slipper springs with a heavy duty equalizer or spring eyes with the light duty equalizer? Some manufactures are adding hitch weight to their gvw, so it might not add up to axle capacity. Such as two 5200 lbs axles for 10,400 lbs plus 1600 hitch weight to equal 12k gvw. Do your homework. Be careful of inferior axles too, if they don't advertise Dexter, they probably aren't.
That's standard in travel trailers. I have a 2020 Coachmen that the gross is about 800 lbs over the axles ratings. Your supposed to use the tongue weight as consideration to make it alright.

I'm not a fan of that.

/ 6 Lug or 8 #6  
I have a ten ton farm wagon. It is DEFINITELY eight lug.

/ 6 Lug or 8 #7  
I normally see 5200 axles have 6 lugs and 7k axles have 8 lugs.

/ 6 Lug or 8
So I assume that the brake drums would be larger also. I don't want to sacrifice any braking ability.

/ 6 Lug or 8 #9  
So I assume that the brake drums would be larger also. I don't want to sacrifice any braking ability.

5200, 6000 and 7000 lb axles use the same brakes, 12.250"x2". I do think there is a difference in the magnet.

If you have a model and manufacture picked out, I would go to their web site for specs.

/ 6 Lug or 8 #10  
It cost more but the electric over hydraulic disk brakes are sure nice. Found the option on 7 k axles and up when I was looking about a year ago.