6 or 7' brush-hog on an L4400

/ 6 or 7' brush-hog on an L4400 #11  
Re: 6 or 7\' brush-hog on an L4400

If you're in high Bahiagrass with too much mower, you're cussin the day you bought it.
The poster's choices aren't actually limited on weight, Farminwithjunk (Great handle, we're cut from same cloth), He could pull a semi mount or drag type if he chose to and get his extra coverage he wants.

/ 6 or 7' brush-hog on an L4400 #12  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( we're cut from same cloth)</font>

And is that a GOOD thing? I used to slam my dad for being "cheap". Now I call it "doing more with less".

If you look at HP ratings for bigger mowers from most manufacturers, you'll see where they commonly rate drawn mowers of much greater width than 3-point versions, in terms of HP required. It just takes less muscle to handle a drawn mower. But there's a lot to be said for the convenience and manuverability of a 3-point model. I'd like to know the percentage of 3-point vs. drawn (sold) for mowers UNDER 8'.

About a drawn mower. If you can use one, they're a lot easier on the tractor than a lift type. They're not for everyone though.

/ 6 or 7' brush-hog on an L4400 #13  

<font color="blue"> "doing more with less". </font>
If you farm and don't go bankrupt, you have to be that way.

/ 6 or 7' brush-hog on an L4400 #14  

They can be aggravating for sure, My old, ooooollllllddddd, Gyro84 will sling a ujoint every 50hrs or so. Then there's the flats. I just use it to exercise the SuperC now and again.

/ 6 or 7' brush-hog on an L4400 #15  

This is rocky country here in Ky. If it isn't rock, it probably has a rain rut in it.

Well, not quite that bad, but. . . .

Most of my mowing REQUIRES the mobility of a 3-point mower. Would like to use a semi-mount model for a few minutes. Looks like a viable alternative.

/ 6 or 7' brush-hog on an L4400 #16  

I use a 6ft 3pt hitch type with 50pto hp. and normally run 4th gear low range but have to drop back to 3rd. in real heavy grass,i'm talking 3 to 4ft high or so.I wish at times I had a 7ft but with some of the heavy grass or should say hay that I cut I would have to go slower and wouldn't like that either.The 6ft seems about right for me.I think the 7ft might be a bit much for your tractor if you are cutting anything very heavy.

/ 6 or 7' brush-hog on an L4400 #17  

Gotta agree with HEC, zkubota. A 6 footer is about right for 40-50 HP tractors. The 6' BB720 I use on my L4300 is almost too much from a weight standpoint, but just about right for size. The standard duty BB72 would've been a better match.

A lot depends on what you're going to cut with it. If just keeping a pasture knocked down, you might get away with a 7 footer, but stick to a standard/light duty model to keep weight down....and watch out for those fenceposts. The overhang could get you in trouble.

If you're cutting heavy growth grasses like orchard grass, 6 foot is about the max for 45HP. The tractor will get a good workout, but you should still be able to keep your speed up. Again, go with standard/light duty for fewer hassles.

If you're trying to reclaim overgrown land with lots of heavy, woody growth, 6 ft. would be the absolute maximum and you might want to look into a medium duty cutter. They can handle woody growth up to 2 inches, so 1 inch saplings aren't much of a challenge.

If your land is flat or fairly even, you can pull a heavy 3-pt. cutter using only the lower lift arms....leave the toplink off. This eliminates most of the heavy lifting as the mower's tailwheel stays in contact with the ground and supports about half of the mower's weight. When doing this, the tailwheel is set to hold the back of the mower fairly high; well above the height you wish to cut to and high enough to clear any obstacles you might mow over. You will then regulate the height of the cut with the 3-pt. hitch by raising and lowering the front of the mower. However, on uneven land, this can be a recipe for scalping. It doesn't make for the most even cut either.
FWIW
Bob

/ 6 or 7' brush-hog on an L4400

Thanks all. After considering everyone's thoughts, I think I will go with a 6' medium duty cutter.....now what brand..oohhh... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ 6 or 7' brush-hog on an L4400 #19  

I have used both the Bush Hog and Rhino, I have the Rhino now and am very happy with it. You can not go wrong with either one.

/ 6 or 7' brush-hog on an L4400 #20  

zkubota

I have a 4330, I have a Rhino SE7 (7 FT) I have NO issues. It does NOT slow down in tall grass/weeds, etc.

Hope this helps.

Ask if you have any questions