60 gallon air compressor

/ 60 gallon air compressor #1  

mechanic

Silver Member
I have owned a couple of the 60 gallon air compressors and never any trouble. I was looking at the lowes campbell hausfeld 60 gallon 3hp. Looks like the one I let go of when I sold my place in Missouri. Now we are in Colorado and I want to buy another for my small shop. I was checking with campbell hausfeld and they told to never leave it on the pallet that it would crack the welds from the vibration. It needs to be on rubber isolators that go under the feet. I've never heard of such a thing. Mine have always set on the pallet. I've never had one fall over or the welds crack. Do any of you guys have compressors setting on rubber feet. I think they just want to sell me this item. $38 for 3 little rubbers. Help!!

/ 60 gallon air compressor #2  
I have owned a couple of the 60 gallon air compressors and never any trouble. I was looking at the lowes campbell hausfeld 60 gallon 3hp. Looks like the one I let go of when I sold my place in Missouri. Now we are in Colorado and I want to buy another for my small shop. I was checking with campbell hausfeld and they told to never leave it on the pallet that it would crack the welds from the vibration. It needs to be on rubber isolators that go under the feet. I've never heard of such a thing. Mine have always set on the pallet. I've never had one fall over or the welds crack. Do any of you guys have compressors setting on rubber feet. I think they just want to sell me this item. $38 for 3 little rubbers. Help!!

I've got a 60 gallon 6.5 HP Coleman compressor that has been bolted solid to a concrete floor with out rubber feet for 7 years now. If you are buying something that they say that the welds will crack best stay far away from that. Welds, if done properly, will be stronger than the metal it connects.

/ 60 gallon air compressor #3  
I had a 60 gallon, 6 hp (old rating system) Puma compressor and they specifically told me when I bought it that it that I should leave it on the pallet and I did. I never had any vibration problem with it at all.

/ 60 gallon air compressor #4  
I just bought a new compressor last year. An 80 gallon one with higher CFM than my old 60 gallon one. The 60 gallon one was mounted to the pallet for over 30 years. The tank eventually wore out from internal rust. (moisture inside from lack of daily use). The new compressor now sits on the original pallet the old one was mounted to since the shipping pallet the new one came on was for shipping only and was cheaply made. It came with rubber mounts but I haven't installed them. I believe the wooden pallet has enough give to absorb any vibration.

/ 60 gallon air compressor #5  
Forgive me. I can't imagine a 60 gallon 6.5 HP compressor sitting on a pallet it's entire lifetime. I have never seen or heard of a compressor of this size that has not been properly anchored solidly to the floor that it sits on.

/ 60 gallon air compressor #6  
Forgive me. I can't imagine a 60 gallon 6.5 HP compressor sitting on a pallet it's entire lifetime. I have never seen or heard of a compressor of this size that has not been properly anchored solidly to the floor that it sits on.

My kobalt 60 gallon from lowes sits about 5 ft off the floor. I mounted it up high so I wouldn't loose any floor space. I don't think it's going anywhere any time soon. I lag bolted 2x6's to the walls, it's pretty sturdy

welder 005.jpg

/ 60 gallon air compressor #7  
My kobalt 60 gallon from lowes sits about 5 ft off the floor. I mounted it up high so I wouldn't loose any floor space. I don't think it's going anywhere any time soon. I lag bolted 2x6's to the walls, it's pretty sturdy

View attachment 129986

Now there's an idea. I wonder if there is any downside to this set up????

/ 60 gallon air compressor #8  
I have a 15HP 120 gallon Snap On, a 10HP 120 gallon IR, a T30 gas powered IR and a 6HP 80 gallon IR and the owners manual for every one of them states to remove them from the pallet and mount them solidly to a concrete floor. The manual for the gas powered IR list that it can be mounted using vibration isolators when mounted in a vehicle. And I quote from the manual. "Excessive Vibration can weaken the air tank and cause an explosion. The compressor must be properly mounted. If required place steel shims under the feet to level the unit. The air compressor MUST be bolted to a solid, level surface."

All of mine are mounted to the floor using floor anchors except the gas powered one in my service truck which I used a set of industrial vibration isolators on to keep it from cracking the steel floor.

/ 60 gallon air compressor #9  
I Got agree , My Bigger ones a Quincy Commercial in My big Shop , & They Said It Should be Bolted Directlly to the Concrete When I Bought it .

I Dont quite get why You would want to Leave it on the Pallet, Unless You Want to Move it all the Time . & have 4 Others in the 2 garages & Sheds that Have Wheels on them for Being Mobile , :D , Bob

Attachments

• Picture OLD 229.jpg
    Picture OLD 229.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 1,659
  • Picture OLD 230.jpg
    Picture OLD 230.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 2,120
   / 60 gallon air compressor #10  

I am grateful that you brought this topic up as I have plans to pour the concrete for my new shop in the next few weeks and had forgotten to include the anchor bolts for the compressor.:eek:

You might wan't to consider a continuous rated compressor though, the cheaper compressors will not hold up as well. I have had poor luck in the past with Craftsman and Cambell Hausfield and good luck with Quincy, Ingersoll Rand and Graingers Dayton brands. Currently I have a T30 gas driven compressor (ten years old with no problems) and will buy a 5hp vertical compressor for the new shop. I have a good IR dealer close by and is why I am presently sticking with IR.

Steve