60" SNOWBLOWER ON A BX24?

/ 60" SNOWBLOWER ON A BX24? #1  

RLHUNTER1

Tractor
Kubota BX24
Is anyone using a 60" rear snow blower on a BX24. I am looking at a 60" Meteor rear mount snow blower. The specs. call for 20hp at pto. The BX24 is only rated at 17.7hp. They make a 51" model, but I can't find one in stock anywhere. So I was just wondering if anybody has had success using the 60" model.

/ 60" SNOWBLOWER ON A BX24? #2  
I'd worry the most over the heaft of the blower and proper front ballast. I've put 54" blowers on the back without any trouble. I would think with the hydro the speeds could be regulated so it would work.

/ 60" SNOWBLOWER ON A BX24? #3  
You'll be working your tractor at the 60" width - especially if the snow is heavy (wet/slushy/icy). Also, despite the extra width, it'll take you a longer time to blow with the wider blower because you'll be moving considerably slower relative to the narrower blower.

I'd ask the dealer if you can test out their 60" blower before buying. My hunch is they'll say okay.

/ 60" SNOWBLOWER ON A BX24? #4  
There was a thread with pics on here last year with guy using a 60"on his BX and was pleased with it. I wouldn't hesitate and if the snow is wet and heavy, the hydro makes it easy to regulate the speed. Even if you have to go slower with the 60", you're clearing a wider path and after the initial pass, you can take less than full swath although I don't think you'll need to unless you get a lot of wet stuff.

/ 60" SNOWBLOWER ON A BX24? #5  
There was a thread with pics on here last year with guy using a 60"on his BX and was pleased with it.

As milkman says, the 60" will work on your BX. However, you WILL be overworking your engine. PTO ratings do have meaning with regard to tractor performance -- they're not pulled from thin air by the implement manufacturers.

PTO performance is based on maximum power at your rated engine speed. At the BX's rated engine speed, your tractor will be under-powering the PTO by a minimum of 13% (more if the snow is heavy and/or if you're blowing on steep inclines). Thus, you'll have to increase the engine speed over the rated optimal speed to achieve optimal PTO performance (namely, optimal power for the blower). Accelerated engine wear will result.

Assuming you're married, see if your spouse will let you buy a bigger tractor when you get the 60" blower! :D

/ 60" SNOWBLOWER ON A BX24? #6  
Ask me next week! I recently bought a 60" Meteor for my BX23. I did a test run on 3"-8" of dry snow yesterday and it worked excellent.

Sorry, but I don't buy IdahoTractor's statement that we'll be "under-powering the PTO by 13%". On paper yes, but there are just too many variables in the real world. The fact is that in wet heavy snow even a 48" or 51" blower is going to require more engine rpms and slower travel speed (or taking shallower cuts in deep snow). I'm OK with that, for the majority of the storms we will see are likely to be in the 6" or less range.

/ 60" SNOWBLOWER ON A BX24? #7  
I don't buy IdahoTractor's statement that we'll be "under-powering the PTO by 13%". On paper yes, but there are just too many variables in the real world.

Such as?

The HP ratings for PTO equipment are based on the Nebraska standardized tractor test. I helped run many such tests as a grad student in the Ag College at the University of Illinois (NE Tractor Test Laboratory). Call Meteor up and see what the they'll tell you about their HP recommendations. See if they'll guarantee against excessive wear on your BX engine while using a 60" blower. If they say yes, then go for it!

As an analogy, think about pulling a four-ton trailer with a Ford Ranger pickup versus a Dodge Ram 2500.

/ 60" SNOWBLOWER ON A BX24? #8  
Depth of snow, density of snow, water content, travel speed...

...Call Meteor up and see what the they'll tell you about their HP recommendations. See if they'll guarantee against excessive wear on your BX engine while using a 60" blower. If they say yes, then go for it!
Right! - See if ANY manufacturer will guarantee against excessive wear on your tractor using any implement.

As an analogy, think about pulling a four-ton trailer with a Ford Ranger pickup versus a Dodge Ram 2500.
This analogy is more akin to trying to run an 8' blower on a BX.

/ 60" SNOWBLOWER ON A BX24? #9  
I run a 50" blower with a 13 PTO hp, hydro tranny tractor. Set you engine to PTO speed, listen to the engine, adjust travel speed accordingly. The tractor will not be overworked at all.
I will clear light snow in high range. Heavy snow and large drifts much much slower.
Bigger tractor would be better (faster) when the snow gets heavy but that's not what I have. Even then, you can over work any machine if you don't pay attention to what you are doing.

Edit: corrected blower size to 50" not 60" :eek:

Last edited:
   / 60" SNOWBLOWER ON A BX24? #10  
I run a 60" Farm King blower on my BX2350. Here are my observations:

- You can lug the engine if you load it too hard. Our most recent snowfall was just over a foot of very wet snow and if I went into at much more than a casual walking pace the engine would lug.
- With a normal snowfall of 6", I can run it full speed in reverse (low range) and the RPMs will drop by about 200 (in the snow versus not in the snow).
- I normally run the engine at around 3,000 rpm which is the rated PTO speed. I do this mainly to throw the snow as far as possible.
- Even with the extra width the front tires still run over the unblown snow on occasion. I'd hate to see what a 50" would be like in this regard.
- The 3PH has no problems lifting the blower. I do keep the FEL full of sand to throw on the hill in the driveway. The extra front weight definitely helps with steering and traction when backing up the hill while blowing. The tractor also has chains all around.
- The only time the blower comes out is when the snow is too deep or wet for the ATV plow.
- With all this being said, I'd definitely go with a 60" again.