650 power steering

/ 650 power steering #1  

PoodlePimp

Tractor
John Deere 650
Does anybody out there own a 650 compact with power steering???? Is it a good setup???

/ 650 power steering #2  
My 650 did not have power steering, but I have driven some that had it, worked very well. From what I understand power steering was a dealer installed option on the 650 and the parts were available to the dealer as a kit. The last time I checked this kit was still available from JD, but the price was quite high approximately $1000 if I remember correctly. I decided not to add the power steering to mine and ended up selling the tractor and buying a 2210. If you could find a junk 650 that had PS this may be the way to go.
Ken /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 650 power steering
Your exactly right! It's $1000.00 + an additional hose kit for $250.00.
I am looking for a used setup but I don't know where to go. That would be the best for me because it would keep the costs down and get me the parts (that I could rebuild) that are needed for the installation. I was just a little concerned about how it would work with the single hydraulic pump setup.
Does anybody know where I could go to find this setup???????? I really need it!!!!! TJ

/ 650 power steering #4  
TJ,

If you haven't already, check and see if other models with power steering such as the 655 and 755 use the same parts. This may allow you to expand you model search. I bet if you got a look at the hose kit you could get a place that makes custom replacement hydraulic hoses to make you one a lot cheaper.

Jeff

/ 650 power steering #5  
TJ,

I forgot to add a comment about the single hyraulic pump. My 755 has a single pump (5.6g/min) with power steering. It works OK but it is a compromise set-up between the loader, power steering and hydro transmission. There is not enough capacity to run everything at one time. I really don't notice it as a problem because I've been using the same tractor for 16 years. I have gotten use to the loader raising a little slower as I spin the wheel and back up.

Jeff

/ 650 power steering
Jeff.... That's a great idea. I'll have some time tomorrow where I can get on the John Deere web site and check all of that out for interchangability.
I really need power steering bad. At first it wasn't an issue, but I have a lot of dirt hauling and movement of crushed rock. It's killing my shoulders, and it hurts for days. The tractor does everything that I want it to, but I can't see spending $1300.00 just for parts.
I assume that you have to do all of your "lifting" before you move the steering wheel or it will hamper your lifting capacity. Any other idea's out there???????? TJ

/ 650 power steering
No luck, the hydraulic cylinders are not the same.........
Any ideas about where to look for used parts for this tractor? There must be a source somewhere????

/ 650 power steering
Nope, it didn't come from any dealer. The "UNIT" showed up with a woman (I'm doomed /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif) and it's been barking ever since. (It eats a lot too, and it's picky, and it won't eat the cheap stuff either). It mainly barks whenever I'm trying to do something meaningful (such as when I'm sleeping, brushing my teeth, watching the news on tv, starting the tractor, or cracking open a can of beer). I think God put it on this planet Earth to pester me and to keep me from sleeping in on Saturday mornings............... I hope she doesn't see this post! I need power steering, help, help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/ 650 power steering #10  
Try this number. he always has an add in my local Farm and Dairy. I have no personal knowledge of him or his reliability but he may be able to help. He seems to deal in older JD parts and a few other models.

Wilson Farms (740) 694-5071

Also, do you have a pic of a 650...don't think I can picture that one...Is it the 2-cylinder at about 20HP? Just cant picture it in my mind. God luck with your parts search. If I see any other add I will let you know.

Peter