Comparison 6500 caught on fire... looking at used 5570 or new 6065.

/ 6500 caught on fire... looking at used 5570 or new 6065. #1  

SonnieP

Silver Member
Tractor
See my signature in post.
My 2005 6500 caught on fire today, and it's a goner. Paid $22K for that thing back in 2005... still had $15K insurance, thankfully.

My Mahindra dealer delivered me a used 2018 5570 with a front-end loader to try out today with 118 hours... quoted me $32K (no warranty). Have not tried to negotiate yet.

He has a 6065 coming in the first of next week with a front-end loader... $42K (no negotiations yet).

I have no idea if he'll budge on either price at this time.

Do I save $10K and get a 5-year-old with no warranty, and is there any other reason than a warranty to get the 6065?

Thanks,
Sonnie

Caught fire right under the fuel tank... a fuel leak is all we can think of that might have caused it.
1686445446338.png

/ 6500 caught on fire... looking at used 5570 or new 6065. #2  
That is awful. If you can swing it, go with the bigger tractor.
hugs, Brandi

/ 6500 caught on fire... looking at used 5570 or new 6065.
He has a 2021 6065 Cab model with 120 hours at 42K with 3 years of warranty remaining. After watching videos... really like the 6065 models with the fuel tank down low, battery on the side, and several other convenient features. I like the cab too, after seeing what it offers.

Ended up with the 2021 6065 Cab unit. It has 135 hours (not 120) and 3 years of warranty remaining. $40K out the door... fair enough, I suppose. It already has the front couplers for hydraulics installed, so that saved me about $1500 that I'd had to spend on the other models he had.

/ 6500 caught on fire... looking at used 5570 or new 6065. #5  
Curious as to the cause of the roast if it was determined. Nothing uglier than a fire ravaged tractor or motor vehicle for that matter. Never experienced that and don't want to which is one of the reasons why I take the starting batteries out of circuit (with a battery disconnect) on my tractors when parked. That and the fact that I can let them sit unused all winter (ag tractors) and the flooded cell batteries will maintain their charge.

Always worry about mice chewing on wiring and causing a short and possible fire.

We just recently had about 230 tons of crushed stone (I call it slag) laid down on our dirt road (about a mile long). I was smoothing it out with my Duragrader as I've done for the last 18 years, and after about 30 minutes or so, I started smelling burning. There was a lot of gray dust from the rock (extremely dry), so I didn't realize it was from the tractor. I just thought someone was burning a field or trash somewhere. I kept looking around for where it was coming from, but couldn't find it. Then I realized it was coming from the tractor as it got a lot thicker and smelt odd. I thought it was overheating smoke, but then I saw fire flashing out from under the fuel tank. My thoughts were that I didn't think diesel would explode, but then again, I wasn't going to hang around to find out. I didn't have my phone and was about 3/4 mile from the house. Nothing at all around to put it out with, so I started walking back to the house (a neighbor that lives closer was at a funeral)... about the time I got where I had to turn and wouldn't be able to see the tractor any longer, I looked back, and all I could see was black smoke. I knew it was a goner, and there would be nothing anyone could do. Even if I'd had my cell phone with me... by the time the volunteer fire department arrived, it would be too late. It was too late, even within a couple of minutes of me getting off the tractor. The volunteer fire department did come and put out what was still burning, and then I had it towed back to the house.

Not sure what caused it, but we all figure it must have started leaking somewhere under the fuel tank and ignited in some fashion in that area. It may be difficult ever to know the exact cause. I checked where it was parked, and I did not see any evidence of a leak. I don't think diesel is that easy to ignite, hence why I was not too worried about it exploding, so what could have caused it really puzzles me.

The fire department said they wouldn't be able to determine it. I'm sending pics to State Farm, and my insurance agent said they might not send anyone out to look at it once they see the pics. They may send someone for the salvage.

/ 6500 caught on fire... looking at used 5570 or new 6065. #7  
Wow, that's terrible. Thankfully you were able to get off without any injuries.

/ 6500 caught on fire... looking at used 5570 or new 6065. #8  
I'm thinking you will be mounting a fire extinguisher on the new tractor.
Maybe we should all do the same.

/ 6500 caught on fire... looking at used 5570 or new 6065. #9  
I'm thinking you will be mounting a fire extinguisher on the new tractor.
Maybe we should all do the same.
Sorry to hear about your tractor
Two years ago I was mowing and seemed to smell diesel fuel for a few minutes and then all of a sudden started getting diesel steam from under the hood, shut it dow n and jumped off, luckily it was a cracked rubber fuel line and no fire erupted.
After that I mounted a small extinguisher on the rops for peace of mind

Attachments

• IMG_2158.jpeg
    IMG_2158.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 69
Yep... gonna figure out a spot for a fire extinguisher in the cab model replacement. First thing I plan to do. Probably won't ever need it, but it will be there if I do.