6520 Loader, is it really slow?

/ 6520 Loader, is it really slow? #1  

fastgun

In my looking and tire kicking, I have not yet ran all the machines I am looking at so I am asking some pretty basic questions.

The 6520 is high on my list except for the published loader times.

The times listed by Mahindra show the 6520 as one of their slowest in raise and lower boom times. A full three seconds is not much time for many of life's activities, but waiting for your loader that long over the length of a work day can seem very long.

For those of you who have the 6520 and use the loader, are the published times accurate?

/ 6520 Loader, is it really slow? #2  
fastgun said:
In my looking and tire kicking, I have not yet ran all the machines I am looking at so I am asking some pretty basic questions.

The times listed by Mahindra show the 6520 as one of their slowest in raise and lower boom times. A full three seconds is not much time for many of life's activities, but waiting for your loader that long over the length of a work day can seem very long.

For those of you who have the 6520 and use the loader, are the published times accurate?
I have a 7520 with the same model loader used on the 6520. The only difference is that the 7520 has a 17 GPM pump vs about 12 on the 6520. This is a very powerful loader with big cylinders that take a lot of fluid. My loader will go up in 5sec at full rpm. Using it at reasonable rpm 1500 or so, it still seems slow. If you want to apply a lot of force its a great loader. If you want good speed without the engine singing, even the 7520 is marginal. The higher hyd capacity, bigger wheels, more power, and 2 speed pto at nominal extra $ got me on the 7520.
larry

/ 6520 Loader, is it really slow?
I'm thinking it might get me as well. It is a nice machine and seems to do so much so well. that 2 speed pto is a real winner and the faster bucket speeds are attractive ..... I've owned a slow bucket for a long time and don't like it!

A brief scan of this forum and I found a couple of vocal complaints about the 7520. One or two individuals seems to have had several problems (which probably were all corrected by this time).

Have you had any particular troubles with your 7520?

/ 6520 Loader, is it really slow? #4  
fastgun said:
I'm thinking it might get me as well. It is a nice machine and seems to do so much so well. that 2 speed pto is a real winner and the faster bucket speeds are attractive ..... I've owned a slow bucket for a long time and don't like it!

A brief scan of this forum and I found a couple of vocal complaints about the 7520. One or two individuals seems to have had several problems (which probably were all corrected by this time).

Have you had any particular troubles with your 7520?
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/mahindra/100778-power-take-off-pump-4.html

This thread has lots of hyd info. I have had one major problem. It was hyd related stemming from the fact that the cam gear acts as an idler to drive the hyd pump(s) and an external pulley for fan and water pump. The cam gear is helical tooth and the thrust loadings can get pretty significant with the big pump. A few have failed, resulting in 2 upgrades that I know of. Mine broke at about 180 hrs and was upgraded under warranty. At about 360 hrs now Im thinking itll last. I would not plan to put any additional loads on that external pulley.

The tractor is almost 2 yrs old now and Ild have to say that it is a good tractor. My main problem is with Mahindras neglect in satisfying the smaller issues of supplying a complete and defect free tractor. I thot all outstanding issues would be handled at the time of the engine repair. They were not. If you have a large dealer down the street it might be ok. My dealer is 70mi away and doesnt seem to be well supported by Mahindra. A year and a half ago, well before the gear broke, I sent letters to the dealer and corporate, detailing all descrepancies I knew of or suspected at the time. I reiterated these letters immedately before repair. Very spotty response and nothing since. It would be extremely easy and cheap for them to satisfy all remaining issues, but there has been no closure.
larry

/ 6520 Loader, is it really slow? #5  
fastgun said:

The 7520 is much faster. I'd buy the 7520 over the 6520 for that reason alone. I know it is just a few seconds, but it makes the tractor much nicer to use. I just moved 60 yards of topsoil with a 7520 and it was a pleasure. The 6520 keeps me waiting a little. That being said, the people that buy them (6520) seem happy with the speed, but I think it is because that is just what they are used to.

/ 6520 Loader, is it really slow? #6  
fastgun said:

Fastgun,
I timed a 6520 loader on my dealer's lot before mine was delivered and mine when it was delivered. 1500 rpm from flat out on the the ground to top of lift...........just a little over 5 seconds with both tractors. Sometimes I wished my loader would run faster, but that is usually when I am stopped and waiting for it to get all the way up. I do believe you will find not many tractors in any one model line hitting published specs everytime by every tractor. It should be looked at as an average. Overall I am happy with it when working it. My 6520 is wide and spacious. I love it as I can get on and off fast and easy from both sides. My fuel filler neck is up high by the seat, but the new ones have it down low just forward of the left step. I would say all the negatives of the 6520 can be easily overlooked. Or magnified. But if you consider loader times a high priorty in picking a tractor, you will always look down on a 6520. It was designed and built as a Ag tractor, not a construction tractor.
hugs, Brandi

/ 6520 Loader, is it really slow? #7  
When we run across a tractor with lower gpm output we try to put a regen valve on the loader/tractor to speed up the loader's operation. Instead of having oil flow all the way back to tank, it redirects it right back into the cylinders for faster operation. You may want to check if this is an option.

It all about what you really need... if you don't need the added power of the larger loader and you just need a general farm use loader, you may opt for a loader with smaller cylinders, which will increase the speed of the loader. If you need the power, I'd upgrade to the larger tractor with larger gpm.

/ 6520 Loader, is it really slow? #8  
Westendorf-RR said:
When we run across a tractor with lower gpm output we try to put a regen valve on the loader/tractor to speed up the loader's operation. Instead of having oil flow all the way back to tank, it redirects it right back into the cylinders for faster operation. You may want to check if this is an option.

It all about what you really need... if you don't need the added power of the larger loader and you just need a general farm use loader, you may opt for a loader with smaller cylinders, which will increase the speed of the loader. If you need the power, I'd upgrade to the larger tractor with larger gpm.

All of them have Regen valves and that would only help when dumping. It will have no effect when lifting to full height. I agree if the loader speed is important then he should go with the 7520 and get the larger pump.

/ 6520 Loader, is it really slow?
Re: Update on all 7520s
OK, I about froze and someone owes me a Starbucks Grande Mocha...but here is what we have:

7520 4wd with ML275. 2500 rpm - 5.38 seconds, 1500 rpm - 8.29 seconds.

6520 4wd with ML275. 2500 rpm - 8.18 seconds, 1500 rpm - 12.43 seconds.

These are tractors that idled at 1500 rpm for 20 minutes before the test. Both are current machines. Both were significantly slower (but not timed) when cold. I'd say the 7520 time is impressive, as the 1500 rpm speed is real usable with all the torque this monster produces. As someone mentioned, at 1500 rpm the tractor is just loafing, but will pull a house of it's foundation, therefore most of us would use the loader at this rpm, +/- 300 rpm. The 6520 time beats specs a little also, but in my opinion is a little slow at the lower RPM. An experienced operator with a lot of loader work will be waiting on it a little an will have to bump up the throttle.

Also keep in mind that unless you are loading a truck, you often lift the loader from the ground to perhaps 3 feet, then carry it and dump it. It takes less than 2 seconds to lift it that far. If you need it faster...you are in too big of a hurry.

Thought I would post this from a search I did just in case other may find it interesting.

/ 6520 Loader, is it really slow? #10  
fastgun said:
Re: Update on all 7520s
OK, I about froze and someone owes me a Starbucks Grande Mocha...but here is what we have:

7520 4wd with ML275. 2500 rpm - 5.38 seconds, 1500 rpm - 8.29 seconds.

6520 4wd with ML275. 2500 rpm - 8.18 seconds, 1500 rpm - 12.43 seconds.

These are tractors that idled at 1500 rpm for 20 minutes before the test. Both are current machines. Both were significantly slower (but not timed) when cold. I'd say the 7520 time is impressive, as the 1500 rpm speed is real usable with all the torque this monster produces. As someone mentioned, at 1500 rpm the tractor is just loafing, but will pull a house of it's foundation, therefore most of us would use the loader at this rpm, +/- 300 rpm. The 6520 time beats specs a little also, but in my opinion is a little slow at the lower RPM. An experienced operator with a lot of loader work will be waiting on it a little an will have to bump up the throttle.

Also keep in mind that unless you are loading a truck, you often lift the loader from the ground to perhaps 3 feet, then carry it and dump it. It takes less than 2 seconds to lift it that far. If you need it faster...you are in too big of a hurry.

Thought I would post this from a search I did just in case other may find it interesting.

I remember doing this test, and I was sent a Starbucks gift card, thanks Brian!