6v Starter on 12v Tractor - Ford 9N

/ 6v Starter on 12v Tractor - Ford 9N #11  
The handful I have done had a self exciting alternator, you have to have them revved up before they charge.

/ 6v Starter on 12v Tractor - Ford 9N #12  
that's why i prefer 3 wire... 350-400 rpm start to charge.. etc..

/ 6v Starter on 12v Tractor - Ford 9N #13  
I am restoring an old 9N that is 6v. I want to convert it to 12v sooner or later. The old battery is gone as it was junk. The generator was also missing when I bought this. So, before I go an buy a 6v battery and generator and upgrade it later, I have a few questions. I would consider just doing a 12v conversion since the battery and generator are already gone.

1) Is the starter specific for a 6v? I have read about a resistor that could be used to continue using the 6v starter with a 12v battery. I want to double check that it would be needed.

Anything else that I'd have to worry about when converting?

I know I'd need a coil and look to buy this conversion kit:

Ford Electrical System 8NE10300ALT-C 12 Volt Conversion Kit, Front Mount Distributor

The 6V starter in my 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF runs fine on 12V. I had the engine rebuilt and that 6V starter could barely turn it over. On 12V it revs and starts with no problem. You can see that engine starting on 12V in video in this TBN thread.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...rs/250186-mm-bf-restoration-got-hercules.html.

My alternator is a rebuilt Delco 10SI from NAPA ($58, no core charge).
Good luck