Mowing 7' Finish Mower

/ 7' Finish Mower #1  

retired007

Tractor
New Holland 3930 Kobota Zd21 Mule 4010 New HollandTZ25DA
I have a 3930 with a 6' finish mower and am thing about a 7'. Would like opinions on advantages and disadvantages of the larger mower. Also would like to know your top four brands if you were buying.

Thanks

/ 7' Finish Mower #2  
I have a 7 foot Frontier finish mower and it works very well.
They are avaliable thru your John Deere dealer.
www.buyfrontier.com

Attachments

• 3320 home 013.jpg
    3320 home 013.jpg
    579 KB · Views: 1,043
   / 7' Finish Mower #3  
Pros on a 6ft I do not have something on the back of the tractor that is wider than the tractor. If the tractor can fit through, so will the mower and I do not need to keep reminding myself it is back there. I go in the same tire tracks on the next pass, so in my case I would cut more grass in the same time. Less grass matted down from the tires. All my garages are 9 foot wide. While 7 is smaller then 9, backing in with a 6 foot mower is an easier, then 7 foot. I rarely need ballast on the back, but when I do I use my mower as it weighs 700 pounds, again I do not need as much to remind myself it is back there. Easier to move around, when off the tractor.

Pros on a 7ft You are going to do a better job of picking up the grass that the tires pushed down.

If you are looking to speed up your mowing time. Instead of backing up for some reason, I just go around in a circle. It is easier on me, the tractor, mower and the grass.

/ 7' Finish Mower #4  
Go for it if you have enough HP! (0:

As far as brands... Woods or Land Pride.

/ 7' Finish Mower #6  
KB9UDE said:
The Frontier brand I mentioned is also made by Woods.

Oh okay... I recommend Woods, Land Pride, AND Frontier! Lol!

/ 7' Finish Mower #7  
I have a 100 inch (8' 4") Rhino FM 100 and it it is really top flight. I pull it behind a TN75 with turf tires and it is really a smooth cut. I have had it for 5 years and had to replace one wheel that wore out the bushing and axle and a strut that lifts the back. I cut about 30 acres per week March through October. It is one tough cookie. Highly recommend. It replaced a 6 foot mower and the difference in time is remarkable.

/ 7' Finish Mower #8  
I had an 84" BEFCO RFM which worked great (it came with a tractor I bought). 2nd BEFCO mower I owned and they are very good machines..since now you have Woods, Land Pride, Frontier (which are made by Woods or BEFCO, BTW) and BEFCO.

BTW, if you buy a Frontier (which is what I have now...a 72" RFM), if the front corners are rounded (as is KB9UDE's mower), it's a Woods. If the front corners are squared off, it's a BEFCO.

The only reason I sold the 84" BEFCO was it was too wide for my garage (had about 1/2" clearance per side when I backed into the garage). If it had been a 72" unit, I'd still have it. That in no way is a slam on the Frontier/Woods. That is a great mower too!

/ 7' Finish Mower #10  
How big is a 3930 tractor? I have a TC40 tractor on R4 tires which makes it right at 6' wide. I mow with a 6' Befco finish mower. I would like to have a 7' mower so that it will stick out past the tires a little bit. If the mower sticks out past the tires it is a little easier to mow close to walls, fences, etc...