7 Million Keurig Mini Plus Recalled Due to Burn Hazard!

/ 7 Million Keurig Mini Plus Recalled Due to Burn Hazard! #11  
This week, I was talking with a relative who also has an older Keurig. Sounds like (no, in this case I'm not being sarcastic) they have bumped up the brew temperature in the new ones.

But, they've also eliminated the fill-it-yourself stainless steel pod replacement basket, AND added pod security checks (inkjet like). Many folks like the pod convenience, but given the amount of coffee I drink, I'll pass on buying K's.

Rgds, D.

It looked like the higher temp was only for brewing the carafe. Even so, it was still too low. A GOOD cup of coffee is brewed at 200 degrees.

I have the top-of-the-line older style unit. The Vue has no appeal to me since Keurig tried to force us to live in their little box of rules. While most of its limitations can be easily circumvented, I will not own one.

The GOOD NEWS for Keurig owners ...... I have never seen this in print but it is true. I have done this 3 times myself. The store - Bed Bath Beyond - will exchange a Keurig with no questions asked. You can exchange for the same model for FREE. So far, there has been no time limit whatsoever on this exchange option. You can "upgrade" for the price difference. You do not need a receipt or a product box ... just walk it in to the desk.

/ 7 Million Keurig Mini Plus Recalled Due to Burn Hazard! #12  
I use a simple Melitta filter. Years ago I accidentally put the grounds in the boiling water rather than in the filter to pour boiling water through it. I didn't want to waste the coffee so I poured it through the filter. Turned out I liked it that way better so I have been doing it that way ever since. It sure wakes up visitors in the morning since the coffee boiling in the water makes for lots of aroma. I boil the water first, then put the ground coffee in for about 20 seconds so it doesn't over cook. Ifirunout of filters, a paper towel will do.

/ 7 Million Keurig Mini Plus Recalled Due to Burn Hazard! #13  
I have never found a metal screen filter that was worth a hoot. In my Keurig, I use the EZCup. It has paper filters and the brewed coffee has no sediment. They work great.

/ 7 Million Keurig Mini Plus Recalled Due to Burn Hazard! #14  
It looked like the higher temp was only for brewing the carafe. Even so, it was still too low. A GOOD cup of coffee is brewed at 200 degrees.

I have the top-of-the-line older style unit. The Vue has no appeal to me since Keurig tried to force us to live in their little box of rules. While most of its limitations can be easily circumvented, I will not own one.
I've always heard 205 degrees, but what's 5 degrees between coffee lovers? :)

Keurig/Green Mountain really had a major fail in a sad attempt to 'force' people to buy coffee from them.

/ 7 Million Keurig Mini Plus Recalled Due to Burn Hazard! #15  
The GOOD NEWS for Keurig owners ...... I have never seen this in print but it is true. I have done this 3 times myself. The store - Bed Bath Beyond - will exchange a Keurig with no questions asked. You can exchange for the same model for FREE. So far, there has been no time limit whatsoever on this exchange option. You can "upgrade" for the price difference. You do not need a receipt or a product box ... just walk it in to the desk.

This could possibly just be a way to get people into the machines that force you to buy their cups. There is probably more money in the consumables than the machine.

/ 7 Million Keurig Mini Plus Recalled Due to Burn Hazard! #16  
We bought our Keurig Elite Model B40 on January 30, 2013, so it's a month short of 2 years old, and we bought it at Bed Bath & Beyond. Now the manual says to "descale" it every 3 to 6 months and it also has an indicator light to "Descale". That light had never come on, but I decided to descale it on August 30 of this year for the first time; 19 months old. I followed the manual instructions carefully, it barely started running the vinegar through when it stopped, the Descale light came on, and it would do nothing more at all; would not run the vinegar or water through. So I figured it was gone and there was nothing to lose, so I took it outside, shook it vigorously, then took it into the shop, got the air-compressor hose, and blew air (120-150 psi) into every opening I could find.

I brought it back in the house, ran a couple of containers of water through it, and it's worked flawlessly ever since.:laughing:

Since the K-cups are so expensive, I have bought and tried every "adapter?" I could find to use my regular Folgers coffee. They all work, and unfortunately, they all leave a little sediment in the bottom of the cup.

I suppose the best, and what I'm currently using, is the Melitta with the paper filters.

/ 7 Million Keurig Mini Plus Recalled Due to Burn Hazard! #17  
This could possibly just be a way to get people into the machines that force you to buy their cups. There is probably more money in the consumables than the machine.

As much as an outsider could be, I think this was clearly the case. It's the 'Gillette Model', sell the razor at a small profit margin and make money on the blades.

Additionally, I read where their patent on the K cup had expired so it is reasonable to infer they added this 'feature' to 'force' people to buy their 2.0 cups.

I have no issues evaluating a K Cup 2.0 machine, when my 1.0 model dies, now that I know there's a workaround. Keurig made a business decision and I will make a purchasing decision to buy the coffee maker that best meets my requirements. If that's a 2.0 model, so be it. Also, other companies are making coffee makers that can use the 1.0 cups, I just bought my daughter one by Hamilton Beach that can make a pot of coffee or a single K Cup.

/ 7 Million Keurig Mini Plus Recalled Due to Burn Hazard! #18  
I'd really never thought about the temperature, but I just brewed another cup, and this Keurig only hit a high of 169 degrees, assuming my thermometer is accurate. Anyway, it's always been hot enough for me. And my wife wants it to cool down to barely luke warm before she'll drink it anyway. In restaurants, she always puts an ice cube in her coffee. I'll try again later with another thermometer to see if there's any difference.

/ 7 Million Keurig Mini Plus Recalled Due to Burn Hazard! #19  
I bought my Keurig at Sam's Club and it came with a bunch of K-cups (various types) AND a K cup adapter with a wire basket that you can put your own coffee in. You have to remove an adapter that the K cup goes in so you can use the add your own coffee basket. It brews fine with no sediment, however some of the aftermarket baskets that I bought that are like little K cups with a flip up lid all leave a lot of sediment if you use a fine ground coffee.
I like to grind my own blend to a fine espresso grade and even though the screens look to be about the same degree of fine spacing, they don't work like the one that came with my pot.

I like the convenience of the Keurig pot but as most everyone agrees, the price is just outrageous. Even using the off brand stuff that WalMart sells it is still 40 cents per cup. I have not figured how much it cost to make my own grind and use the adapter, but I can grind a full container of beans using my Mr. Coffee grinder which holds about 9 tablespoons of regular grind coffee and it will last me all week which would require about $14 of K cups and I think my blend tastes better than the K cups anyway.

/ 7 Million Keurig Mini Plus Recalled Due to Burn Hazard! #20  
K cups are a great example of trading money for convenience and choice. We typically have half a dozen different ones to choose from, particularly handy around the holidays,