Rotary Cutter 7' or 8'

/ 7' or 8' #1  

orangeboy

Tractor
Kubota M6040
Greetings,

This is my first post. I'm considering a Kubota M-6040 cab tractor to cut 40 acres of pastures. I'd like to keep the rotary cutter under $5k and was wondering if anyone had insight as to whether an 84" single blade is better than a 96" four blade? My wife will be mowing the marjority of time, so ease of use is important. Any comments on the tractor selection would also be welcome. I've been quoted 31,500 for a 2 WD cab & air with a few options. My land is fairly flat and I don't believe I need to spend the extra 4k for 4WD. Many thanks, Orangeboy:)

/ 7' or 8' #2  
is the 96 incher a finish mower?

/ 7' or 8' #3  
My preference with that much acreage would be our Woods DS1260, but given your budget, I would go with the twin spindle 8' as it won't stick out so far in the back, something like the Land Pride RCR2596. Other manufacturers make similar models.

I use the Land Pride RCR2672 on my L5740 that I use for small fields, road ditches and trimming, but for that much acreage, at least for me, the wider the better.

Last edited:
   / 7' or 8' #4  
You have pleanty of power for the 8' mower, and I agree....with that much acreage the better.

And a as tripleR mentioned, the 8' twin isnt nearly as long, so it is a little more maneuverable. It is only about 4' long. (think 2 4' cutters side x side) vs the 7' mower being all of 7' long.