7018 weld advise. Pics.

/ 7018 weld advise. Pics. #61  
Co2 cylinders use CGA 320 valve connection with plastic washer between valve & regulator.

WARNING there are also cylinders containing something called "Beverage gas" which a mix of Co2, Argon & Nitrogen used on a lot of beer and beverage systems. Absolutely useless in welding unless you need a purge gas to work on a fuel tank.

Difference between a beverage regulator & MIG regulator is volume capacity. Beverage regulator will freeze needle to seat at welding rates over period of time.

Lot of welderbatrers get worked up bout frost on outside of regulator.. Happens, bot meaningless to gas path inside regulator.

Beware of small Hobart ITW regulators on Co2. ITW built dem off shore wid crap brass dat corrodes wid pure Co2 and locks needle up to seat. Real easy to spot because ITW saved 1 penny per regulator by not using thread compound on fittings into regulator body. Dey built to leak.

/ 7018 weld advise. Pics.
One reasons why there are so many types of rods. The numerical designators separate rods into functional process groups based on requirements of the metals and the end use of the welds. Brand names tend to have many nuances that have nothing to do with end results. That's why welders brag up certain brands and others **** them. I can remember when pipe welding we would not use anything but Fleetweld 5P right, wrong, or indifferent. Since I have used many brands of the same number designator and really can see no difference. 6010 and 6011 are formulated to perform the same function on 6010 (DC Negative) and 6011 (AC). 6011 will work best on DC at DC Positive. Negative stinger is sometimes called "Reverse Polarity". If necessary rods designed for AC tend to work better at DC Positive (my opinion).

Ron

I ran the 6010 with dcep. Are you saying its a reverse polarity rod?

/ 7018 weld advise. Pics.
I just use flux core. How long you get out of tank with mig. Can you go through a role of wire?

/ 7018 weld advise. Pics. #64  
Let me figure out pics

/ 7018 weld advise. Pics. #65  
Save pics to a folder then click the icon in your post with a pic of a tree to post each one. Select 'from computer' and browse to the pics location.

Click to upload the pic and give it a few seconds to complete. As always, be cautious with 'page back' and go with 'advanced' to edit and preview.

btw, I've had difficulty posting pics direct from iPhone thru' PC. Never a prob if I park 'em on desktop to post before cataloging/storing them by category in the cloud, pen drive, etc.

/ 7018 weld advise. Pics. #66  
Tig Stainless with straight Argon yes. Mig not so much. For Mig SS I use a Tri mix of argon/co2/helium. Or 98Argon/2 CO2. 2 Oxygen works with argon too. Kind of an old mix. Many still use 75/25, 90/10 on stainless mig as well if they don't mind the black and some spatter.

/ 7018 weld advise. Pics. #67  
When I worked at my LWS years back we had CO2 with the standard valve 320 CGA. Then we had what ws called Fountain tanks that were the same but they could get more $$ for them. Both worked for welding or applications where you need just gas. Different color neck. Then we had siphon tanks that had a dip tube and would deliver liquid. For wine it was always Nitrogen. Pretty sure this is accurate. Not sure what has changed but I'm around distributors almost everyday so I will refresh.

/ 7018 weld advise. Pics. #68  
Tig Stainless with straight Argon yes. Mig not so much. For Mig SS I use a Tri mix of argon/co2/helium. Or 98Argon/2 CO2. 2 Oxygen works with argon too. Kind of an old mix. Many still use 75/25, 90/10 on stainless mig as well if they don't mind the black and some spatter.

Lot depend on filler in MIG SS. I can run E70-s6 filler on SS wid straight Co2 and create some unknown alloy in deposit. Far as girlygasses I agree wid Ed Craig. 99% salesmanship 1% truth but sire did wonders for AirGas profits. Oxy add nothing but heat. Helium add heat too, just like back in old days of Heliarc on DC.

Spoolgun really don't like Argon or Oxygen being present, Co2 major cooling to de gun. Course spoolgun only short passes anyhow.

MY world 99% steel so I perfectly happy running Co2. I gotta do aluminum I call Danny and he comes by wid Trailblazer & Cobramatic. Faster, better and cheaper den me screwing around.

SS, haven't seen enough over last 10 years to use anything but brass, everdur or stick 309.

/ 7018 weld advise. Pics. #69  
Lot depend on filler in MIG SS. I can run E70-s6 filler on SS wid straight Co2 and create some unknown alloy in deposit. Far as girlygasses I agree wid Ed Craig. 99% salesmanship 1% truth but sire did wonders for AirGas profits. Oxy add nothing but heat. Helium add heat too, just like back in old days of Heliarc on DC.

Spoolgun really don't like Argon or Oxygen being present, Co2 major cooling to de gun. Course spoolgun only short passes anyhow.

MY world 99% steel so I perfectly happy running Co2. I gotta do aluminum I call Danny and he comes by wid Trailblazer & Cobramatic. Faster, better and cheaper den me screwing around.

SS, haven't seen enough over last 10 years to use anything but brass, everdur or stick 309.

Yep I run some CO2 as well. Newer imports run it pretty well.

/ 7018 weld advise. Pics. #70  
I'm doing so well with CO2 ('pure' from LWS) that I wonder where/when the 75/25 mix is as good or a better option in any case, esp for mostly 'farm' welding.

btw, Expect me to gather tanks/mixes that I'll never know what to do with, too. :laughing: That's a hint that I'm 'all ears'. :)