7040, died at fairgrounds, now what?

/ 7040, died at fairgrounds, now what? #1  

roygage

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota L3000DT
Working at putting fence up for the upcoming tractor pull. Shut the 7040 off and when went to start 1/2 hour later it was a crank no start. No smoke from the stack. Checked fuel supply, pulled filter and installed new, pumped while had the filter off and the primer was delivering fuel. Checked the fuel separator, OK.

Suspected the fuel shutoff solenoid but when the key is on and I unhook it and then hook it back up can hear a very good audible click.

Heard some of the fuel shutoffs have two sets of windings, a pull on and a holding coil.

I did not look to see if mine was a two wire or three wire. Unit has the cab, believe it is a 2011.

Would appreciate if someone could advise as to my next move. I am a auto tech and have a good understanding of things electrical but not much knowledge of diesels.

/ 7040, died at fairgrounds, now what? #2  
Have you cracked/loosened a fuel injection line to see if fuel is pumping when the engine is cranking? The beauty of a diesel is it only needs compression and a mist of diesel in the cylinder to operate

/ 7040, died at fairgrounds, now what?
No I have not. Had a diesel tech working with us on the fence, he simply looked at the stack and pronounced, no fuel. The fence was the priority, after some quick checks we moved on. Pretty much fishing for silver bullets now, one tech missing work today so no time to play with it till this evening.

/ 7040, died at fairgrounds, now what? #4  
Try bumping the throttle up a touch then hitting the key. Newer tractors just wont keep cranking like old ones. This also brings question if battery has enough charge to turn over at a good rate.

Double check all the "safety gadgets" PTO off, clutch switch, seat switch, in neutral, these types of things.

/ 7040, died at fairgrounds, now what? #5  
No I have not. Had a diesel tech working with us on the fence, he simply looked at the stack and pronounced, no fuel. The fence was the priority, after some quick checks we moved on. Pretty much fishing for silver bullets now, one tech missing work today so no time to play with it till this evening.

I suspect no fuel and that's why I suggested cracking a fuel injector line to see if there is a squirt while cranking. If the engine is cranking then most, if not all the safety overrides should be OK. Is the engine cranking speed normal, and I agree with smallplot on bumping the throttle a tad. Have you visually checked the fuel and the fuses? Could the fuel shutoff not be receiving power albeit you said you heard it 'clicking'?

/ 7040, died at fairgrounds, now what?
I suspect no fuel and that's why I suggested cracking a fuel injector line to see if there is a squirt while cranking. If the engine is cranking then most, if not all the safety overrides should be OK. Is the engine cranking speed normal, and I agree with smallplot on bumping the throttle a tad. Have you visually checked the fuel and the fuses? Could the fuel shutoff not be receiving power albeit you said you heard it 'clicking'?

Cranking speed is good. Have tried playing with the throttle. Checked all fuses in the main box. As far as checking fuel I have not cracked a line but have checked the rest of the system leading to the pump.

I need to get down there and see if my shutoff is a three or two wire. Anyone has a good description of how they work on this tractor, and how they fail, would be interested.

Certainly acts like the fuel is shut off at the pump. Have not heard one pop from it since it failed.

/ 7040, died at fairgrounds, now what? #7  
The beauty of a diesel is it only needs compression and a mist of diesel in the cylinder to operate

Your statement is 2/3 correct as AIR is also required.

/ 7040, died at fairgrounds, now what? #8  
Your statement is 2/3 correct as AIR is also required.

Good point! Hard to have 'mist' without air, but I'm honestly not sure if fuel will 'mist' in a vacuum, nor did I mention compression?:confused2:

Last edited:
   / 7040, died at fairgrounds, now what? #9  
Wiggle the trannie . HST? .. like getting it back to neutral. (From another post, not from personal knowledge.)

/ 7040, died at fairgrounds, now what? #10  
OK. When you turn the key on do you hear a click from the fuel solenoid? If yes do you hear another click a few seconds later? If yes then you have a 2 stage solenoid that has gone bad on the hold open windings. If no, crack an injector line and crank. If there is no fuel leaking from line I am betting your solenoid has failed. Because you hear a click does not necessarily mean it is good. It may not be going full travel.