72" toothbars

/ 72" toothbars #1  

candyman

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 2011 MX5100 W/la844 loader, ag/ tires loaded, Massey Ferguson 2010 GC2610 TLB w/ r4 tires, loaded, 60" Belly Mower
before i buy one i would like to know is one design of the teeth any better than another.

thanks

/ 72" toothbars #3  
Some say under bucket, some say over bucket (the part where the teeth attach). In my opinion, replaceable teeth are nice. It would appear that for lifting, the inside bucket style would distribute the weight across the bucket, while the understyle would be more reliant upon the actual bolts and the strength of the bar itself. I don't know, my theory anyhow. I bought a HD bucket with my tractor to err on the side of caution. Each style has pro/cons and opinions. Mine is the inside style, made by Woods...it was available at my dealer through Tisco.

/ 72" toothbars #4  
I've owned two tooth bars. Both are the Markham / Gator design. They do have fairly long, quality, replaceable teeth. The bar is in the bucket and the teeth are above and below the bucket and hook on the bucket lip. They a tooth bar adds significant strength to the bucket, improves the digging ability in most materials, and allows handling logs and brush better (especially when combined with a grapple).

Some Toothbars (Like Gators) can be "flipped up" into the bucket if you want to do a smooth back-dragging operation. I do mostly rough work - so I have never used this feature...but it would just take a few minutes to "flip it".

I doubt if you would ever wear out teeth or break em with CUT sized tractors....if not used for commercial use. If I needed another tooth bar I would buy another Markham / Gator (but I would not let their "sales" folks recommend how many teeth I should have).

/ 72" toothbars #5  
Here's my MKHM/GTR design like Foggy is talking about.

Boone

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    1,017.1 KB · Views: 385
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    1,010.6 KB · Views: 359
   / 72" toothbars
thanks foi the replys. did not know there was a top & or bottom. i have a kubota mx5100 hd bucket.

any close up pix of the differences & how many teeth .

thx, cm

/ 72" toothbars #7  
The teeth attach to a metal bar that runs the width of the bucket. Some prefer this bar to be on the inside of the bucket, while others prefer this bar to be on the bottom of the bucket. Some companies make one but not the other, while other manufacturers offer both styles.

/ 72" toothbars #8  
If I needed another tooth bar I would buy another Markham / Gator (but I would not let their "sales" folks recommend how many teeth I should have).

Foggy: How many teeth would you suggest for a 72" bucket?

Bullbreaker: How wide is your bucket? You have 7 teeth. Did you request extra teeth when you ordered?

/ 72" toothbars #9  
The main advantage of the style with the lip under the bucket is that it gives you a "flat-bottom". This is beneficial if you do a lot of backdragging.

And I am no expert and I have not actually used either style, but just looking at them and the design of the teeth, I cant help but think the "flat-bottom" style wont dig quite as good. But that is just going off of looks.

Personally, on mine, I just bought direct bolt on teeth. 8 of them was only $70 delivered. And while I cant remove them quite as easy as a tooth bar, they are still removable. But I dont ever see me taking them off. And I know they arent as strong as a tooth bar, because they dont add that second cutting edge for strength, but my loader isnt exactally a super strong loader. And I have yet to have any issues.

The two reasons I went this route were because of existing fork pockets in the corners of my bucket (for lifting logs and such), and price. I just could't justify $300 for a tooth bar that I would still have to modify to make work.

Attachments

• E41A0075.JPG
    E41A0075.JPG
    577.3 KB · Views: 189
  • E41A0078.JPG
    E41A0078.JPG
    530.3 KB · Views: 276
   / 72" toothbars #10  
Bullbreaker: How wide is your bucket? You have 7 teeth. Did you request extra teeth when you ordered?

To Vol:HobbyFarmer
64 1/2 "(inside)
Yes what MKHM said at the time 6 teeth were standard,I ordered with 1 extra. Something like $350 including shipping around 2008 I believe.

Boone