72 YEAR OLD COUPLE BUILD A BARN

/ 72 YEAR OLD COUPLE BUILD A BARN #1  

linanddave

Tractor
CRAFTSMAN
Thought that some of the members might like to see the barn that we are building. My wife, Lin, and I have done all of the work on this, including the design. We have incorporated some post and beam as well as some pole barn construction techniques. We built our own lifting device to set up the bents and have even named it. We have been building it from the top down, once the main frame work was up. Here are some pictures of where we are at this time. We started this project in late 2007, with the site work, actual building began in late summer of 2008.

rearextop092211_34.gif

Rear of the Monitor Barn

lowertinno101010_31.gif

North side of the Monitor Barn

rearintwall073111_32.gif

How the interior will appear.

4848-2beamanddoor_36.gif

The front as it stands on 4-30-12.

We hope you have enjoyed the pictures, thanks for looking.

/ 72 YEAR OLD COUPLE BUILD A BARN #4  
:thumbsup: That's a very beautiful Barn. I love it. :drool:

Chad

/ 72 YEAR OLD COUPLE BUILD A BARN #5  
Lin and Dave,

Great work and beautiful. Thank you for the photos.

Jim:thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ 72 YEAR OLD COUPLE BUILD A BARN #8  
Awesome just awesome ! :thumbsup:

So thats what a 72 year old couple do after "the thrill is gone" ! :laughing:_______________(just kidding)

Keep-Em coming ! :)

Boone

/ 72 YEAR OLD COUPLE BUILD A BARN
Awesome just awesome ! :thumbsup:

So thats what a 72 year old couple do after "the thrill is gone" ! :laughing:_______________(just kidding)

Keep-Em coming ! :)

Boone

Hey, if the thrill was gone, the barn would be done by now!!

Here is a pic of the main frame center section.

centerparttwo_35.gif

Center main frame December 2008

nybirdman asked , Is that Red Cedar?

The cedar for the interior and the exterior is local grown aromatic (red) cedar. The wood comes from a sawmill just south of Batesville AR. It is rough sawn 5 eigths x 8 inch and is not shiplapped. The interior layer is coated by Lin with a clear brushing lacquer. The outside layer is also all stained by Lin with a traditional oil based stain. The trim is Western Red Cedar and is also prestained. The batten boards we cut and prepare ourselves.
The posts are Douglas Fir, 6 x 6 and faced on all 4 sides to provide a 5 and a half to match our other framing.

windowsno111609_21.gif

Interior shot of the window area during the build.

Enjoy

/ 72 YEAR OLD COUPLE BUILD A BARN #10  
That is an incredible barn and the construction looks great. Maybe the two of you could come and help me do mine. Very nice! And after all that work together, you are still speaking? That may even be more incredible. Good luck to you!