720 loader bucket cylinder rebuild?

/ 720 loader bucket cylinder rebuild? #1  

COASTBUSTER

Tractor
4000 hd industrial 1964
I have an 1841 ford 4000 series tractor with a 720 bucket loader attachment. Bucket tilt cylinder is leaking. I got the rebuild kit but after taking the gland nut off with a spanner wrench,the piston will not come out of the cylinder. All hose are disconnected so vacuum is not the issue. I don't see any locking clips nor does the parts diagram from Ford. Am I missing something? Help:cool2:

/ 720 loader bucket cylinder rebuild? #2  
Hook up a hose start the tractor and push it out gently with the hydraulics.

/ 720 loader bucket cylinder rebuild?
Really!!!!! That easy?

/ 720 loader bucket cylinder rebuild? #4  
Yes you can also do it with air pressure but I do not recommend it because once the air pressure builds up the ram comes out with a lot of force and will wreck anything in it's path.

20150814_093846.jpg20150814_093913.jpg20150814_093933.jpg20150814_094045.jpg This is the cylinder in question. It's double acting I presume. Still doesn't seem to want to come out of the bore. I'm wondering if the larger collar that the gland nut screws into is supposed to screw off as well. If so ,I'm a little screwed because it's welded on to the cylinder wall but the other good cylinder is not welded. Also when moving the piston in and out,the metal object in the picture of the hose port does not move with the piston. It's stationary. That's why I'm saying the collar looks like it should come off. Any ideas would be appreciated. Dan

Last edited:
   / 720 loader bucket cylinder rebuild? #6  
Attached is the parts diagram.
Try heating the sleeve/collar as it appears that water has gotten in and rusted the gland to the cylinder.

View attachment 437759

Thanks to all. I was able to remove it with a good slam to the piston side shackle. Turns out the stainless rod was bent also,having one made as we speak. Thanks for your insight boys. Once again TBN comes through. Dan