74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage?

/ 74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage? #1  

rerod

Tractor
Craftsman
Morning folks..

I'm retired and want to build a garage with a apartment myself.. I used to do hvac and maintenance so I know a little about construction and Ive been reading.. No building inspections in my remote area of Iowa.

So I'm going back and forth about what machine would be the most versatile on my tiny acreage.. I think the skid (Case 95XT) would build a stick built garage faster and fit into small areas, but that the back hoe tractor (Case 580 4x4) could do more, but slower, bigger.. But it has a backhoe and a bucket..

I'm probably wrong about this but picked two machines that use the 4bt engine I like..

Opinions? Real life experiences?

Thanks!

/ 74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage? #3  
I own a backhoe and I've rented skid steers. I love my backhoe, but I did convert the front bucket to a quick attach so I can use pallet forks or my grapple instead of the front bucket. In my opinion, the backhoe is the most useful tool on my farm. My biggest mistake was not spending extra for 4 wheel drive. I can still get a bunch done with 2 wheel drive, but I think 4 wheel drive would make it even better.

In my opinion, skid steers are OK for small jobs. Their selling point is being very portable and easy to haul around on a trailer with just about any type of truck. Small, lightweight and decent power. The Quick Attach on the front bucket changed the world, and it's super handy having a variety of things to use. What I don't like about skid steers is the ride and how they tear up everything. I don't think they are a good choice for a farm because of that. In mud, they are totally worthless.

A tracked skid steer is better for traction and moving material, but they cost a lot more money. If I was going to buy something small, then it would have tracks.

/ 74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage? #4  
Rent the backhoe as needed. Skidsteer is nice but if you need a tractor too then you'll have two machines. Consider a tractor with a backhoe. That seems to be the norm on this site anyway.

/ 74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage? #5  
Your equipment needs for construction could be very different from your equipment needs for maintenance. Construction is a small time frame while maintenance is endless.
My 773 Bobcat SS outweighs my MX5200. 4 wd is a must have feature for useability and safety. Operators tear up the ground not the machines lol.

Last edited:
   / 74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage?
Rent the backhoe as needed. Skidsteer is nice but if you need a tractor too then you'll have two machines. Consider a tractor with a backhoe. That seems to be the norm on this site anyway.
Thanks guys.. 4x4 is a must have..

So your suggesting a tractor with a 3 point and pto that mounts a rented backhoe? Don't think there are any available with the 4bt (4T-390) , but I'm all ears for a good setup.. Thanks

Last edited:
   / 74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage? #7  
It may just be me but the backhoe on my MX is my most used attachment

Andy

/ 74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage? #8  
Think about what your needs are. I made a list of one time jobs, and jobs that need doing regularly. Also the cost of the attachments needed and cost of rental or hiring a job out. It made my decision easy.

For people who like to own toys, that can be a frustrating approach. If money is more important than toys to play with, it is eye opening.

/ 74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage? #9  
Morning folks..

I'm retired and want to build a garage with a apartment myself.. I used to do hvac and maintenance so I know a little about construction and Ive been reading.. No building inspections in my remote area of Iowa.

So I'm going back and forth about what machine would be the most versatile on my tiny acreage.. I think the skid (Case 95XT) would build a stick built garage faster and fit into small areas, but that the back hoe tractor (Case 580 4x4) could do more, but slower, bigger.. But it has a backhoe and a bucket..

I'm probably wrong about this but picked two machines that use the 4bt engine I like..

Opinions? Real life experiences?

Thanks!

Are you wanting to do a septic system? run water or power lines? If much digging or even stump removal The 580 all the way.
I sold my skid steer, hard to see out of limited ground clearance.
If working in muddy conditions it will be stuck long before a 4x4 580 imo.
If push comes to shove the 580 as well.
The 580 will lift almost as much with the backhoe than the skid steer will with the front bucket and lift it higher as well. Will you ever need to road the machine a mile or a few. Another advantage for the TLB.

Tiny property well that sounds like the 580 may be a bit large for your land size.

My post is biased as I am just not a fan of skid steers.

I may sell my Ford 550TLB someday but would replace it with another TLB like a 580 or B95 but with 4x4 and a cab. No plans to buy another skid steer wheeled or tracked. A TLB is just a more versatile machine imo.

Sister has a T 250 Bobcat SS and it is miles better than the L778 I had.
Big difference in smoothness and how loud the hydrostat operated.

If possible test drive both types of machines because it will give you a feel for what it will be like to live with /use the machine.

Good Luck with whatever you decide on, even if it is a skid steer.

/ 74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage? #10  
If you can get a backhoe and then adapt it for front QC and add a thumb on the backhoe, I don't think it could be beat for working around personal house/property. Backhoes are bigger, heavier (more stable - caveat: used safely) and stronger than most any skid. Skids are good because they're really fast, but that's not really a huge factor for working around your own property. Most of us homeowners would rather have one machine that can do a lot, even if it's a little slower. If you run a business, you need more machines that are specialized so you can get work done faster and cheaper.

I use my backhoe (1994 Ford 555D) all the time, very handy machine. I use mine for clearing snow, spreading and grading dirt, lifting and carrying heavy loads (I've had 4,000+ pounds of machine tool hanging from chains on the bucket, no problem at all), knocking over and skidding trees to the far back yard for later cutting and splitting, digging out stumps, trenching, even recently pulled a shed down the street on skids. Just does it all.

Last edited: