Front-End Loader '76 2040 Deere...

/ '76 2040 Deere... #11  
Looks like the 521 became the 522, as far as I can tell. If you look at the parts catalog link from an earlier post, you can expand the sectional index (for the 522 loader) and look at the mounting frames, masts, boom. Item #3 shows the mounting frame for the (20, 30, 40, 50 AND 55 SERIES TRACTORS). Looks like that would be the loader you would need. I think from trying to "build your own" JD utility tractor the 553 loader came in a little over $5000. I could not find a current model that uses the 522 to build and get a ball park price. Probably going to be in that general range. As far as quick attach the 520, 521, and 522 will be what we think of as quick attach. The older 145, 146, and I think 175 have to have some bolts pulled to detach. 6 bolts on the 145, 146 and I think 4 on the 175. Still would only take a few minutes to remove the loader. I set mine up to leave the control valve on the loader and just two hydraulic fittings to un-hook from tractor to loader. The newer loaders use the cable operated joystick (or at least they did) and use 4 hydraulic fittings at the control valve. The 143, 512, older 48's and the like are not quick attach. Looks like you may have to talk to a dealer to get a price on the 522. If the 175 near you is in good shape, it may be a decent way to go. Just faded paint could be somewhat easily fixed. I would just recommend using paint from JD and not TSC or the like. JD paint is the correct color and holds up much better and is only a couple of dollars more. You can also buy all the decals to make it look like new. You can get prices from the parts link. Just set up an account, then add the parts to your shopping cart to get the prices. If you have a decent dealer, they should knock a little (10-15%) off the prices listed on parts. I think I am like you and prefer the looks of the 143, 145, 146 and 520, but I would not discount looking at the 175. Sorry for the long reply. Good luck.

/ '76 2040 Deere... #12  
The 175 has four pins to pull. the rear boom and rear lifty cylinder pivot pins. They have a lever and a quick lock pin. NOT as easy as the newer loaders, but easier than unbolting nuts & bolts of the other older loaders.

What price did you find on the 175 loader? I would think $2500
There is a new 522 listed on tractor house for $4050

/ '76 2040 Deere...
Thanks again for the help. I called my local Deere dealer and he said he was pretty sure Deere wouldn't have a loader available for my tractor, then proceeded to offer a bush hog brand for 6-7 grand... I thanked him for his time lol.

That 522 for 4000 looks like a steal, quite bit north of here though, but still may be worth it. I'll check with some other Deere dealers around here on a price too. The 175 for sale here is listed at 3500, but he might take less, never can tell. After looking closer it looks like the 175 will bolt right up too, not sure on the hydraulics though. If that loader doesn't sell for a week or two he might be willing to take less. I'd be a lot more comfortable spending 2500 on it than 3500. :)

/ '76 2040 Deere... #14  
dntfxr,

The 175 loader in LA looks pretty nice in the pictures. Like you said, a little faded, but the bucket looks straight and overall it appears in really nice shape. The 522 sounds like a great deal. Might be worth calling the dealer on that and see what it includes. If it does not have the correct loader brackets for the 2040 and does not include the spool valve and joystick, the price may not be as good as it appears. If the price does include these or for a small amount more, see if the dealer deals with any trucking companies that could ship it for a reasonable price. If not check this link for hauling schedules. I used a hauler thru these listings before and had good luck. As far as the 175 hydraulics, it appears the valve and joystick are there. Find out from the dealer if it was on as open or closed hydraulic tractor. If it was a closed, then negotiate in the correct valve plug to switch back to open. The mount of the joystick is similar to what you would see on the 145 and 146 loaders where the valve stays on the loader. Only two lines to tie into your hydraulics and you would be all set. Here are a few pictures of what the valve setup would look like. You could also change this setup to a cable operated joystick like some of the pictures I posted before if you like that better. Most everything you would need could be purchased from supluscenter.com

Hauling Ads - Yesterday's Tractor Co.

2555w245Loaderiii.jpg2555w245Loaderii.jpg2555w245Loaderi.jpg