Tractor Sizing 7810 pulling a 26 ft disc

/ 7810 pulling a 26 ft disc #11  
Yall must have some light soil out there. Would love to till it someday, just to see it. Here in south MS i went over 120 acres yesterday and 90 today with a 21 ft disk behind a 180pto hp tractor because the soil is so wet and heavy i didnt figure i could pull my bigger disk fast enough to do a good job. I was right 21 ft is all i can pull throught that dense wet clay until it dries some.

I have a sandy loam soil with little clay in it, rocks can make it harder to till but nothing like heavy clay.

I once drilled a hole with an auger at the Dixie Springs flow wells and was able to unwind a single piece of clay the full length of the flutes on the bit.

/ 7810 pulling a 26 ft disc #12  
Yall must have some light soil out there. Would love to till it someday, just to see it. Here in south MS i went over 120 acres yesterday and 90 today with a 21 ft disk behind a 180pto hp tractor because the soil is so wet and heavy i didnt figure i could pull my bigger disk fast enough to do a good job. I was right 21 ft is all i can pull throught that dense wet clay until it dries some.

Depth will make a difference too, if your just disking to cut out weeds, it doesn't take as much, but if your really wanting to grind the dirt up, then yeah, it would pull a bit harder.

/ 7810 pulling a 26 ft disc #13  
Depth will make a difference too, if your just disking to cut out weeds, it doesn't take as much, but if your really wanting to grind the dirt up, then yeah, it would pull a bit harder.

True. I pull everything "wheels up" or all the way down. If the tractor wont do this then i dont consider it "pulling" it, or a good match for tractor and disk.

/ 7810 pulling a 26 ft disc #14  
True. I pull everything "wheels up" or all the way down. If the tractor wont do this then i dont consider it "pulling" it, or a good match for tractor and disk.

:thumbsup: If a tractor can't make use of the implement at the implements full capacity, then the implement is to big for the tractor IMO. All of our disks are small compared to what we are talking about in this thread. A 6', 8' & 12' all with 22" disks. I pull these with different tractors, all axle deep on the 2nd pass. and yet I read on here every year about how wide a set of disks that these people pull with much less of a tractor than I use. :confused: I am still trying to figure out how a person with a 6000lb tractor with 60 hp pulls a 14'-16' disk when with my 10,000lb 75hp tractor there are times when the 8' disk is all it wants. :confused3:

I guess it is like some of the granite rocks that I see some of these guys pick up and move with a 2500lb rated loader. They are as big or bigger than what I can move with out 580 CaseTLB with a 6000lb lift rating. :eek: Either all my equipment is just JUNK, :rolleyes: or the granite at our property is much heavier that the granite at other peoples places. :confused3:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that anyone is lying, just that conditions and circumstances are different all over. ;)

/ 7810 pulling a 26 ft disc #15  
Brian,
I think throwing out disk widths is somewhat meaningless without knowing the weight, amount of set and ground conditions. My experiences with disks and tractors is similar to yours in that I have been able to pull smaller sizes than some of those shown by others.

/ 7810 pulling a 26 ft disc #16  
Brian,
I think throwing out disk widths is somewhat meaningless without knowing the weight, amount of set and ground conditions. My experiences with disks and tractors is similar to yours in that I have been able to pull smaller sizes than some of those shown by others.

True, Deere's used to run 9" spacings and international ran 7" so you had more blades per foot on the IH. Also, the gang angle will affect how hard it pulls too. Some can be adjusted.

/ 7810 pulling a 26 ft disc #17  
True, Deere's used to run 9" spacings and international ran 7" so you had more blades per foot on the IH. Also, the gang angle will affect how hard it pulls too. Some can be adjusted.

Agreed, the amount of work done by the disk is the crux of it. If the blades have alot of set, weight/blade is high and ground speed is correct it can take alot of hp and tractor size to get it done.

/ 7810 pulling a 26 ft disc #18  
I disked some last year with a 7810, w/rear duals, pulling a 24' and didn't have any problems. In broke ground it was about all that tractor wanted though. I spent more time with a 8430 and a 32' disk. The 8430 had duals front and rear and the difference between the two tractors was the 7810 would would run out of power, the 8430 would run out of traction.

/ 7810 pulling a 26 ft disc #19  
Brian,

Exactly, when little to no info is given, other than an xx wide disk and I want to pull it with zz tractor and that's if the tractor is mentioned at all. It is impossible to make a correct assessment. ;)