790 Owner....New Kid on the block

/ 790 Owner....New Kid on the block
Here is where I mounted my toolbox on my 790. Not sure it it will work with the 70 loader.

It's a great tractor although that's a lot of acres. Will handle 5' BB just fine. I assume it is 4WD?

Mech....thanks for the photos. From what I see, I think I can incorporate your tool box location into the grille guard I am planning to build. I likely wont remove the loader very often, but would like the grille guard to stay with the tractor when I do. I also would like to be able to hang suitcase weights (from a 425 tractor and 40 loader I have) on the grille guard "assembly".....so I am considering the options for now. I did see a JD weight bracket for sale to fit the 790 which may be a good starting point to attach a guard and tool box...that has me scheming for now.....:confused:

Before buying the 790 I strongly considered a new CC/Yanmar EX-3200 or the Bobcat/kioti in 30 hp...both with loaders. The dealers really have some good prices.....but.......I just got too many implements and other things to buy, so I felt I better keep my costs down a bit for now....thus the used 790. I sure hope this little tractor fills my needs for a few years....there are times I am sure it will feel a bit small for my needs....but going up in tractor size and implement size just feels cost prohibitive.

BTW....nice quick tach blade and tractor. Thanks for the post.

/ 790 Owner....New Kid on the block #12  
While the front axle does pivot, it only pivots so far. A wider wheel stance will add some to the stability. Even if it's a little..........sometimes a little is all you need to keep you out of trouble. I ran my old JD870 for 13 years and over 2000+ hours with the fronts and rears in the widest position and never had any axle problems.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ 790 Owner....New Kid on the block #13  
Congrats on the new ride, and welcome to the 790 gang. I've enjoyed mine for sure.

/ 790 Owner....New Kid on the block #14  
The toolbox is a JD tool box that I think is for the 990 to sit on the fender. Too big for the 790 fender and I have 3 valves mounted there on mine. I just made some brackets and attached to the toolbox quick attach bracket. Need to be careful your FEL clears.

I think the 790 is a great tractor. If you don't "need" hydro and a factory cab. It sips fuel and has more power than traction. Some complain that the hydraulics are weak but you can shim the bypass valve to increase the max pressure.

/ 790 Owner....New Kid on the block #15  
Wecome Foggy from a fellow Minnesnowtan, congrats on the new 790 just in time for winter fun. MH

Well.....did some upgrades to my 790...and got a few more questions to ask.

I just put on a Markham tooth bar, which is a pretty nice piece. I got the block heater intalled and purchased a front weight bracket off ebay for 40 bucks plus shipping. Its going to fit real nice with the loader on. From that bar I am going to fab my (removable) grille guard. I dont think there is going to be room up there for a tool box like mech has....the 70 loader is just too close to the tractor....the search continues. I am waiting for my hydraulic shims to come and plan to add pressure via a wet gauge to about 2500 lbs. I still need to add fluid to the tires but my box blade will provide enough ballast for a little winter work.

MY Questions: Will shimming the hydraulics increase the loader AND the 3 point lifting capacity? Also, I noted in the specs that the 3 point lift capacity is normally given 24" from the "lift point". Do they mean 24" from the end of the lift arms or 24" from the rock shaft or ?:confused: This may influence which disc I look for....which brings up question number 2....

(I posted under implements as well) I am in a bit of a quandary about a suitable tandem disc for the 790...or if a tandem disc is suitable at all. I would use the disc to work up about 1 mile of trails (for clover seeding) and also to work about 3 to 4 acres of food plots. For the food plots (which are pretty much natural openings in the forest) I may try a middle buster or bottom plow to loosen things up first. My soil is all sandy loam. I figured a box frame disc harrow with 16 18" blades and about 700 lbs would about max out this tractor???: One poster said I would just be spinning my tires, while another thought it would pull O.K. :confused: So......Are any of you 790 owners able to confirm my disc thoughts or have disc suggestions or input to consider?

Thank you for the information furnished so far....it's been real helpful to me. And lotsa fun doing the improvements. :D

/ 790 Owner....New Kid on the block #17  
MY Questions: Will shimming the hydraulics increase the loader AND the 3 point lifting capacity? Also, I noted in the specs that the 3 point lift capacity is normally given 24" from the "lift point". Do they mean 24" from the end of the lift arms or 24" from the rock shaft or ?

It will increase the capacity of both since they are operated from the same pump. The 24" spec is from the center of the balls at the end of the lift arms furthest from the tractor.

/ 790 Owner....New Kid on the block #18  
Can you run a front weight bracket and loader bracket at the same time ?

/ 790 Owner....New Kid on the block #19  
Can you run a front weight bracket and loader bracket at the same time ?

With the 70 loader on a 790 you can. Can't have the weights on with the loader, but the bracket itself clears. Not sure about the newer loaders.

It will increase the capacity of both since they are operated from the same pump. The 24" spec is from the center of the balls at the end of the lift arms furthest from the tractor.

OK....thanks.....so.....at the actual pins the amount of weight handled would be a bit more (as in a ballast box) and further back a bit less (as in a disc)......I spose this makes sense as the implements weight can go back a few feet and this may approximate the center of the mass. Ahaaa.....another physics thing!!