790 starter

/ 790 starter #1  

jedolson

Tractor
Ford 8N, 9N, 4000, JD 790
790 no start. all contacts cleaned, bat charged.
With ignition off I have 12+ volts to the starter.
with ignition on but not trying to start I have 0 volts to starter and a click or 2 at the ignition
but still have 12+volts at the bat.
With ignition to the start position, I get a click and then everything dies, no lights etc. and 0 volts at the starter and
with the ignition still fully turned and held at the start position I still have 12+ volts at the Bat.

Is this clearly a bad starter or an ignition problem?
Tractor has been outside but covered (mostly) in Oregon.
I will try the screwdriver 'jump' at the starter but not sure about the contact points...+ on starter to the solinoid...which appears to be covered?

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Jed

/ 790 starter #2  
Remove battery cables and thoroughly clean battery posts and cable connectors. Inspect cable at connectors to ensure they are in good condition. Replace cables and tighten securely. If you can move them they're not tight. Follow ground lead to frame. Clean and tighten that connection well. Either your problem will be solved or we have a point from which to begin troubleshooting.

/ 790 starter
Did you even read my post before you replied?

/ 790 starter #4  
With 0 volts to starter when key is turned to start, that means you still have a bad connection, or a bad cable. If you have jumper cables, try connecting one of the cables from positive battery terminal to big post on starter. See if anything improves. If so, then positive cable is bad. If no change, disconnect that jumper cable and then reconnect it to negative terminal on battery and the other end to a good clean ground on the frame somewhere. If that helps, then negative cable is bad.

/ 790 starter #5  
Did you even read my post before you replied?

Maybe read the post 6 years ago too?

/ 790 starter
OK...I'll try jumping it. I replaced the + cable a few years ago.
I'll let you know how it goes.

/ 790 starter
With 0 volts to starter when key is turned to start, that means you still have a bad connection, or a bad cable. If you have jumper cables, try connecting one of the cables from positive battery terminal to big post on starter. See if anything improves. If so, then positive cable is bad. If no change, disconnect that jumper cable and then reconnect it to negative terminal on battery and the other end to a good clean ground on the frame somewhere. If that helps, then negative cable is bad.

/ 790 starter
Your right, I had everything cleaned or replaced except the ground cause it was a pain to get to. After jumping it
I discovered that it was the culprit. Now its mow mow mow.

Thanks for your help