80/90 gear oil or walmart tdh hydraulic fluid?

/ 80/90 gear oil or walmart tdh hydraulic fluid? #1  

old roady

Tractor
international 276
......HELP......80/90 gear oil or walmart tdh hydraulic fluid?

I have a International 276 that has 80/90 gear oil that runs the transmisson and rear end. It needs to be changed. Is it a good or bad idea to use the tdh (transmisson-differential-hydraulic) hydraulic oil for the new oil? ps.. hydraulics are seperate.

Last edited:
   / 80/90 gear oil or walmart tdh hydraulic fluid? #2  
There is a marked difference between the two and they are not interchangeable.

/ 80/90 gear oil or walmart tdh hydraulic fluid? #3  
Re: ......HELP......80/90 gear oil or walmart tdh hydraulic fluid?

if it calls for 80w90.. I'd put 80w90 in it. if it called for a utf of a specific manufacturer spec.. then use the utf.

soundguy

/ 80/90 gear oil or walmart tdh hydraulic fluid?
Re: ......HELP......80/90 gear oil or walmart tdh hydraulic fluid?

Thanks for the info guys. I dont have a manual for this tactor,so I will go with the 80/90. Now another ??? should I use a GL1-2-3-4-or GL5. Thank's Roady.

/ 80/90 gear oil or walmart tdh hydraulic fluid? #5  
Oils that are used for the hydraulics (tdh & utf) are relatively light oils. Differential and most manual transmission oil is much heavier. I would go with a synthetic 80W/90 or similar weight oil.

that's such a wide open statement as to be nearly incorrect.

NH specs UTF in many final drives, rear ends, gear reductions..e tc... and yet it's still a light oil.. AND is correct for a rear end.

all depends on the oil and the manufacturer.

soundguy

/ 80/90 gear oil or walmart tdh hydraulic fluid? #6  
I didn't mention synthetic.. and I take it we are NOT talking about a striaght hyd fluid like an ISO46.. it looke dlike we are talking about a UTF fluid.. which FOR SURE has gearbox applications. You may be surprised to see interchangeable specs between gear oils and utf's I have seen some front axles spec a gear oil or UDT..

soundguy

/ 80/90 gear oil or walmart tdh hydraulic fluid? #7  
My JD 630 calls for 80-90. The differential and transmission run in this oil, while the hydraulic system is seperate. An 80-90 GL-5 product will thin out to about the same as 50 grade motor oil at 100 degrees centigrade, (212 F.) hence an old Fuller transmission could use either one, with the 80-90 causing the thing to shift slower in very cold weather when starting cold, than 50 grade motor oil. The Tractor Fluid is a 10-30, thinner than 80-90 for sure, but does have additive to protect the gears and drives of tractors that have a common sump for the hydraulic system, one oil does it all. Buy a good quality 80-90 for the diff of your tractor, and use the THF for the hydraulic oil. Those tractors that specify to use either oil in a front axle application, may have been trying to make life easy for a farmer who possibly did not keep 80-90 around his shop, allowing the THF product to be used.

/ 80/90 gear oil or walmart tdh hydraulic fluid? #8  
On my little Kubota, the manual states either gear lube or sudt (Kubota's name for UTF) in the front axle. FWIW

/ 80/90 gear oil or walmart tdh hydraulic fluid? #9  
We usually use hyd. Oil in the trans. Do to the fact in cold weather it's harder to pass 80/90 threw system. Unless your tractor leaks a lot of oil. I would recommend the hyd. Oil.

/ 80/90 gear oil or walmart tdh hydraulic fluid? #10  
An 80-90 GL-5 product will thin out to about the same as 50 grade motor oil at 100 degrees centigrade, (212 F.) .

I have a couple tractors that can use gear lube mild ep in the steering box or 50w engine oil.. :)

soundguy