825i XUV v. Ranger

/ 825i XUV v. Ranger #1  

jcmseven

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2320; 4520
Fellow Posters, I would like the group's opinion about a potential purchase. I currently have a 2010 Polaris Ranger SE 800 EFI with EPS and a winch mounted Polaris plow. The machine is practically new with about 70 hours on it. It is paid for and has been a really good machine for me. As some may know, I have a close connection with my John Deere dealer in my hometown. He and I have been friends for many years and I have bought many pieces of equipment from him, including five Gators over several years' time (one at a time). Most recently, I bought an 825i for my dad and have been most-impressed by the John Deere product. My previous 850d Gator (which I sold to my neighbor when I bought the Polaris) was a workhorse, but not nearly so fast as the Ranger. My uses for a utility vehicle are mainly transport light materials, pulling a little 6x12 trailer, and snow removal in winter. I really do not do any significant off-roading. I have had a Boss Plow in the past, and would like another at some point in the future. I have a potential buyer for my Ranger and I considering purchasing myself a Gator like my dad's if I were to sell, except I am having reservations about my objectivity in this case, thus I am requesting the group's input to keep me on task. I have had little time to operate my dad's Gator, since they live 2.5 hours' drive from me; but as mentioned, I have overall been impressed. I have tried to list my impressions of both machines and would like some interpretations if possible. I will say that I prefer the way the Gator "runs" over the Ranger, and its solid construction and work options, but I have some things I also do not like which may play a role:

Ranger:

Pro

-Fast, power steering is very smooth and ride is quite good; drives like car.
-Large fuel tank (9 gallons)
-Full bench seat with three seatbelts (I have five year old twins who like to ride with me sometimes) and an open floor area
-Excellent brakes
-Mucho storage bins in operators station
-Dealer less than 2 miles from my home, nice guy
-Many add-on's including optional wheels and tires, winch, plow, PIAA lights, aftermarket brush guard, ploy roof, etc.

Con

-Machine not made as heavily as JD, rattles some over rough terrain
-Does not plow snow as well as JD given less sprung weight (1200 lbs).
-Will have to adjust plow to work with new brush guard, no current hydraulic plow option
-Out of warranty in case of trouble
-No hydraulic bed lift on mine, can be added in case of need

John Deere 825i

Pro

-Not as fast (45 v. 53 mph), but more torquey engine than Polaris, 3-cylinder automotive style; engine feels more powerful and JD much stronger pulling, pushing snow, etc.
-Heavier frame and suspension pieces, weighs about 250 pounds more
-Option for hydraulic dump, and Fox shocks from factory
-Hydroformed and boxed frame
-Larger wheels and tires
-Longer warranty with John Deere reputation
-Cargo bed much heavier, bed liner, with more tie downs.

Con

-No power steering from factory (yet). Unisteer "working" on kit, but likely not out for 2-3 months and not as smooth as factory EPS
-"Bench" seat very narrow with only two belts, third can be added but controls mounted in console, affecting center passenger
-Limited floor space for feet, very limited storage space/bins
-Brakes are not as good, mass of machine makes it less responsive to stop
-No tilt steering wheel
-Operating heavy plow without power steering may be unpleasant (Boss V weighs 200 pounds plus)
-5.3 gallon fuel tank limits range
-Dealer is over two hours away, though he has provided on site support in past when needed.

What should I do?? Trade, no trade??

John M

/ 825i XUV v. Ranger #2  
well obliviously the Deere is 4 you.

/ 825i XUV v. Ranger #3  
John,

Sounds like you need a heavier (weight) machine. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the lack of power steering, although it is nice. I'm sure that that plow on my previous RTV500 weighed close to that, and the lack of PS never bothered me.

As far as speed, anything over 30MPH feels pretty unstable on a UTV with ATV tires...So really, does that really matter?

The 2 seatbelt thing is an issue with twins, but if you have a solution for that, I'd go with it...Once they get older, they will want to go one at a time with you anyway.

I really wish shoulder belts were standard on all of these things when it comes to riding kids around.

The JD sounds like a winner to me.

/ 825i XUV v. Ranger
Thanks for the replies. I am truly torn, but the guidance is helpful. It is interesting that my intent was to get the Ranger to bridge the gap between when I sold my diesel Gator and when the XUV 825 came out. I have ended up liking this machine far more than I thought I would. It is a true pleasure to drive and operate and has excellent power for use on my steep hills. It has done everything that I have asked, though I was a little disappointed last winter in how it moved snow. Plenty of power, just not enough weight kept it from being as good a plow machine as my Gator was. Now that JD has a similarly powered Gator, I am looking again at going green. I really do like that power steering, though.

John M

/ 825i XUV v. Ranger #5  
I have not driven the new Gator yet but it looks quite impressive. I have a 2009 Polaris Ranger HD which has the factory EPS. Polaris made improvements in all of the 2009 models so they steer pretty well but the EPS is the answer.

So for me, until Deere makes power steering at least an option I'm sticking with my Ranger. When they do, I will take a serious look.

/ 825i XUV v. Ranger #6  
Thanks for the replies. I am truly torn, but the guidance is helpful. It is interesting that my intent was to get the Ranger to bridge the gap between when I sold my diesel Gator and when the XUV 825 came out. I have ended up liking this machine far more than I thought I would. It is a true pleasure to drive and operate and has excellent power for use on my steep hills. It has done everything that I have asked, though I was a little disappointed last winter in how it moved snow. Plenty of power, just not enough weight kept it from being as good a plow machine as my Gator was. Now that JD has a similarly powered Gator, I am looking again at going green. I really do like that power steering, though.

John M

Would it be possible to just throw some concrete blocks and/or some bags of dirt in the bed for extra weight when plowing? When I plow with my ATV (2008 Sportsman 800) it seems like the only thing I ever feel like I NEED more weight on is the plow itself, but since you've got a heavy duty plow I'd imagine that you've got enough weight there. I'm not knocking JD at all, and I think their new UTV's are great, but after looking at the two nearly side by side at the county fair I think the Ranger is still a better machine for everything but the absolute heaviest of work. I know if I ever get a UTV it will primarily be for going off road with my wife and puttering around and it seems like the Polaris is still the machine to beat for that use.

/ 825i XUV v. Ranger #7  
I got a Ranger last spring and the three wide seating was one reason. I had three in it much of the summer...grandkids love it. My only question was should I have bought the Crew version so MORE grandkids could ride :)

I am not familiar with the JD. Here in MN the Polaris is dominant.

Tom R

/ 825i XUV v. Ranger #8  
I do like JD, but what would bother me is that, from what I've seen, Polaris still suffers from reliability issues. Since I own the land, I'm present at all weekend rides when our group goes. Out of about 15 machines, 4 are Polaris. Unless they are basically brand new, it seems that they are the only ones we end up towing back out to the trailers because they've broken or quit. I can see why Polaris doesn't have a long factory warranty!

One guy has the Can Am beast that runs over 70 mph. It's a blast, but he is selling it because it's just too fast. Most riding with me usually takes one or more of their kids. I don't see where the JD would ever be lacking for speed unless you plan on using it as your primary transportation.

To me, it seems like Polaris comes out with the cutting edge advances but doesn't have the reliability to keep those advances working. The warranty period seems to end quickly on these type of machines. When one brand really, really seems to stand out for hitting guys in the wallet for repairs, people start taking note. All but one of the Polaris guys want to get rid of their Polaris and go with a different brand. The other Polaris guy really likes his machine and is willing to pay whatever it takes to keep it going.

I'm not Polaris bashing, I'm just pointing out what I've seen. At one point I was considering a Polaris because of all of their innovations and how nice they ride. After seeing all the other guys have multiple issues, minor to major, with their machines, I don't think I'll ever own anything Polaris. JMHO

/ 825i XUV v. Ranger
I agree with each of the points made. Dargo, I (knock wood) have not had any maintenence issues with my Polaris, and though it is not off roaded and it still has low hours, I do use it pretty hard. I have detected some creaks and rattles over the past couple months, which I do not like given the initial integrity of the machine and its purchase price. In looking at the two machines, there is NO question in my mind the JD is the better made machine. Virtually everything on it is much heavier duty than the Ranger. It feels more solid and has better low-end torque. What this boils down to for me is whether I can get buy without the power steering and whether JD would offer a kit (soon) for it. I believe I could get by with a narrow bench seat, though clearly Polaris has the deal there. It also seems to have the high performance edge with better brakes, and stock suspension (though I would get the Fox shocks if I got a Gator). If all things were otherwise equal, I would consider waiting to see if JD came out with factory PS, but I have a legitimate potential buyer for my Ranger, which in this economy I would think is a real boon.

Lt Cheg, I understand your thoughts about the ballast, and I am a big believer in ballast. My problem with the Ranger plowing is the FRONT end. With the blade angled to any real degree and any snow amount worth plowing, the front end wanders around so much that one has to feather the blade up and down to keep it in line, or plow straight. My diesel Gator, though much slower top speed, stayed planted like a rock when plowing. When I have added ballast to the back of the Ranger, it plows a bit better but the front end wandering problem worsens due to the weight transfer front to back. I have the XP and the HD as you know is the one with the air shocks for leveling. With 400-500 pounds of ballast, the Ranger squats a good bit in back, making me wonder about its advertised payload capacity. Had I never used anything else, this would have not been appreciated by me, but one thing I can say each Gator I have used has done is plow snow well.

John M

/ 825i XUV v. Ranger #10  
I understand your concerns about reliability issues with Polaris. I had the same concerns when I purchased my 2010 XP. While I haven't plowed with this machine, I have been impressed with it's ability to haul and tow and go.

Not sure if you have adjusted the stiffness of the shocks, and or shock locations on your machine, but both will help on the 'squat'. As far as the front end push, maybe upgrading the tires to more agressive and heavier would help. You may want to ask over at the PRC forum - lots of guys there use their Rangers to plow.

If you already have a buyer, and can get what you want out of the 2010, why not go ahead and sell it. You can always buy a 2011 XP, if you end up not deciding to get the JD.

You have a fun decision ahead of you :)