855 hydraulic fluid leak

/ 855 hydraulic fluid leak #1  

Ronaldjaye

Tractor
John Deere 855
My 855 has oil dripping down onto th gear housing on the mmm. The guy at the dealership said the pump needs replacing and the pump costs $1400 plus. Installation. Do you guys think he is trying to take me to the cleaners or maybe it could be something as simple as a leaky fitting or hose. I guess I could remove the floor board and take a look to see where it is coming from.. Any thoughts?

/ 855 hydraulic fluid leak #2  
My 855 has oil dripping down onto th gear housing on the mmm. The guy at the dealership said the pump needs replacing and the pump costs $1400 plus. Installation. Do you guys think he is trying to take me to the cleaners or maybe it could be something as simple as a leaky fitting or hose. I guess I could remove the floor board and take a look to see where it is coming from.. Any thoughts?

Sounds like he is jumping the gun big time. Replace pump cause if a leak??? Hmmm don't think so. Need to find out where it's leaking from and go from there. I would never tell my customers I need to replace a hydraulic pump cause a leak without doing tests and diagnosis.

/ 855 hydraulic fluid leak
I guess I have always been taken advantage of because I am not a good "do it yourself" kind of guy. Any idea what and where I should be looking. The mmm and the three point hitch raise and lower okay but the oil drops down right onto the top of the mower gear box or it is coming out of the top of the gear box. To be honest this is the first time it has crossed my mind about the possibility of it coming out the top. Think maybe that is a possibility?

/ 855 hydraulic fluid leak #4  
Is it gear oil or hydraulic oil? Hydraulic oil is much thinner and almost clear, unlike gear oil which is thick, brown, and smells much stronger.

/ 855 hydraulic fluid leak #5  
Strategic location of some clean paper drying towels will help you locate the leak, IMO. Find out if coming from above the mower deck gear box, and then tracing it back to its origin.
Learn if it is leaking while sitting, or just leaking when mowing, or just when the engine is running (tractor moving or standing still). Lots of variables for you to track down and trace the oil drip.
Determine if engine oil or hydraulic oil too.

/ 855 hydraulic fluid leak #6  
From the parts diagram, there are a few potential locations to leak. The dealer mentions a pump, so maybe he saw oil coming out the charge pump drive shaft seal. I'd pull the mower off to get better access. Might have to get underneath with degreaser and a hose or pressure washer so it's easier to find the source.

John Deere Parts Catalog