855D Gator oil change

/ 855D Gator oil change #1  

Mike_Kanzer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830 HST, JD Gator 855D
Holy cow!
I just changed the oil and filter on my 855D and could not believe how difficult it is to get to the oil filter. It is behind the engine jammed in between it and the transmission and requires you to be a contortionist to get to it. Unfortunately the fuel filter is right next to it. In additon to that I replaced the oil with the recommended volume from the manual (44oz) and that did not fill it to the correct line on the dipstick (No it was not leaking and I had replaced the drain plug - LOL) So I added oil so that the stick read correctly. Any body else have any problems like this changing their oil on their gator? Am I missing something that would make it easier? Anyway it is done - phew
-Mike

/ 855D Gator oil change #2  
Yep I would agree, just wait till you have to do the temp sensor on the radiator, that is fun!

/ 855D Gator oil change #3  
I did the first oil change on my 855d a few months ago. I was expecting trouble since I had an HPX diesel before it. The 855d was twice the problems of the HPX because there's not enough room. The first change is the worst because evidently Yanmar has a 700# gorilla twisting them on. After you change it the first time the next one will come off quite a bit easier.