861 diesel problems

/ 861 diesel problems #131  
Sounds like home stretch!

/ 861 diesel problems #132  
Almost there. Did you get to do a test run today?

/ 861 diesel problems #133  
Personally, I can't hardly wait for a video of this old tiger purring like a kitten. Sounds like it might be coming soon...hint

/ 861 diesel problems
No test run yet, although I probably could have. I got the fuel tank bolted in. I had to push the bolt up against the front tank bracket with a long flat bar in one hand while I held a long wrench with 2 fingers turning the bolt to get that bolt started. I got my sheet metal on (that was tricky by myself) and hood (still got to line the hood up) today. Got my headlamps wired back up to the light switch. Decided I better put a couple pop rivets through my $4 Red Tiger emblem I found on eBay that is taking the place of the missing Ford cyclops medallion to keep the sticky tape from letting go before I hoisted that sheet metal in place. Repainted my front bumper (from my 8N) where I had rewelded cracks at the bracket that holds it to the axle. I ran the copper oil pressure line and some other electrical wires in plastic wire loom to protect them somewhat.

I plan to go out tomorrow and get some diesel fuel and new antifreeze. I hope to have the grill, shroud and bumper on tomorrow and install my battery. I also want to double check my clutch adjustment. I picked up an I&T manual a few days ago and while it is tiny compared to the other Ford manual I had, it gives several clear and easy to understand procedures that in my other book just seems harder for me to comprehend for some reason. I think the clutch is close, but I want to measure as in the description to be sure. Pictures and videos (like I have found online) make more sense to me than reading a thick manual.

It is starting to LOOK like the tractor it was.

11-9-14_putting sheet metal on.jpg

/ 861 diesel problems #135  
nice!

/ 861 diesel problems
Tomorrow should finish me up. I got my grill, grill trim, lower guard and 8N bumper installed. Also got the intake, oil bath air cleaner, and exhaust stack mounted. Made up 2 long bolts for my battery hold down and got the battery in.
11-10-14_Bat Bracket 1.jpg
Bought fuel and antifreeze and filled up the fuel tank and as much antifreeze/mix as it would hold cold. readjusted my clutch freeplay but the peddle height was about right. Began bleeding my fuel system and whoa, I had a bad leak somewhere around my new fuel filter. Come to find out the top rubber gasket ring was not sealing to the filter, so I RTV the rubber to the filter. That cured that.
11-10-14_sealer filter.jpg
I could not find a bleed screw on the pump, but I cracked the input line and was good to there. The injector lines were still all loose, so I tried cranking the engine to see if I could bleed those. Well, although I had the battery hooked up to a China Freight trickle charger all this time, it was very weak and I had to get my big battery charger hooked up. After some time, the lines all show fuel dribbling out so I tightened them all down. I think my battery is really too small for a diesel. Moment of truth. After some more charging time, I tried cranking her up. Even the heaters did not let her fire up. I went to get my starter fluid, but I was out. Getting dark and cold, but I went to the parts store for some Starter fluid anyway. I was determined to get this to fire or blow something up trying tonight. First shot of starter fluid did not do anything. Tried another shot and I could hear an awful banging noise. I wasn't sure if it was starter fluid exploding or metal banging, but she eventually fired and sputtered to life belching blue smoke. Even with the open ends of my carport cover it was choking me sitting high up on the tractor. She wasn't exactly purring, but eventually she smoothed out to a steady rattle knocking as diesels are prone to do I suppose. My oil pressure was steady at 40 lbs. at idle. I never did race the engine much because I was waiting for it to warm up first, so I could top of the radiator fluid. I guess I'm too impatient because it barely began to move the temp gauge when I noticed a small puddle of oil forming on my right. I was not sure at first where this was from, so I shut it down to do a walk around. Turns out I was getting some splash from the rear hydraulic pump drive gear. It was cold and dark, so I stopped while I was ahead.
11-10-14_861 Ford lives 1.jpg
Tomorrow I need to install my hydraulic pump and top off my radiator. I ordered a pressure gauge from eBay ($10) and I thought I would mount it permanently on my hydraulic pump. I was reading in my book that you can screw a gauge into the bleed screw to test the release valve and thought, why not just mount a gauge there permanently if they are not too expensive. I got volunteered again to do grandson watching duty tonight and tomorrow (I guess school is out), so I don't know if I'll get much done till Wednesday. I'm feeling pretty good about that

/ 861 diesel problems #137  
I just have to say that you are a confident man by putting all that tin and stuff back on before even a test run but apparently confidence has paid off. :thumbsup: Glad to hear she fired up for you.

/ 861 diesel problems #138  
I agree. Excellent job staying with this. The old girl runs !!! I love the old iron.

/ 861 diesel problems #139  
nice deal! got her running.

/ 861 diesel problems
I was able to get the hydraulic pump on today.

The old girl fired right up without using the glow plugs (heaters) or starter fluid. Air temperature was a comfortable mid-60s though. The arms lifted, but shuttered as it raised, but that may be because I had forgot I left the plug on top of the pump loose or it was the first couple pumps up and down. I drove it around the yard to warm it up a couple laps before I noticed some leaks, so I parked it again. Tighten the pump plug up, but the main leaks were coming from the fuel cap and fuel sending unit, so I removed them both and dried the metal lips. I cut a temporary leather ring seal for my fuel cap and RTVed the sending unit back in the top of the tank. I knew the new sending unit the original owner installed leaked some, but never noticed how bad it was until it was full of fuel sloshing around today. I’ll see if I can’t find a new replacement fuel cap.

Oil pressure is still holding fine at 40+ and I topped off the radiator again. I’m concerned though because my book claims the radiator holds 3.75 gallons, but I only was able to put in about 2.75 gallons of new fluid in so far. I’ll check it again after I run it some more.

I plan to hook up my scrape blade to it tomorrow and pull a few leaves out of the yard into the woods and give it a mild test run again. My hydraulic gauge should be in the eBay mail.

Another thing I noticed after my RPM gauge was hooked up to the pump and working today. I think this engine was running/working much harder before my rebuild to achieve the same RPM setting on the proof meter than it is now. Not knowing much about diesels when I bought this tractor seemed to run OK to me, but I had little diesel experience to judge it by. I remember I seemed to push the throttle further down to reach PTO speed when I was mowing with it. As a matter of fact, I mowed that first time with the proof meter needle straight up, not all the way to PTO speed. Now to reach the same RPM, the throttle lever is not nearly as far down as before, and the engine just seems to be relaxed without the vibration I remember it had before. :)

Although I’m not a happy camper about having to sink more money into a new (to me old) tractor, I’m hoping I’ve ended up with a machine that will last my lifetime without major engine problems again and out work my little 8N that I’ve maintained for the past 15 years. Thanks to all who helped with advice and encouragement. If luck holds, tomorrows test run and follow up should put an end to this thread.