87415600 Oil Filter

/ 87415600 Oil Filter #1  

mjonesnh

Gold Member
Tractor
TC34DA
Went this week to local New Holland parts counter to get 2 o-rings and some filters . Bought a fuel filter and a 87415600 oil filter as am only doing an oil change and changing out the fuel filter this fall.
Price of oil filter was $13.48. WOW! This thing probably holds around 1/2 pint of oil. Got to looking around online and found that a Wix 51348 will cross with this filter for around $6 at local auto parts store,
Also noted this Wix filter fits my Kohler engine on my riding mower and my 2010 Ford Fusion. I have a Kohler brand filter here (52 050 02) that I paid $11.95 for and a Motorcraft FL-910 filter that fits my Fusion that is $4.29 at Walmart. Went to Purolator website and crossed their filters to Wix. Advance has a Pure One PL10241 on sale for $5.00 now and a Purolator L10241 classic for $3.99 that crosses with Wix 51348.
I know the New Holland filters are made by Fleetguard and are of good quality but GEEZ! almost $10 more than a Purolator that will interchange. Have the New Holland, Kohler, and Motorcraft lined up in front of me right now and all are virtually the same size. Even measured the openings and physical dims. with a dial caliper, virtually the same. Motorcraft filter even has the red silicone valve at top of filter like the New Holland.
New Holland filter does weigh 1 ounce more than the Kohler and Motorcraft filter which seems to suggest the the New holland filter may have more filter media inside. Not sure if I will continue to run the New Holland filter on my tractor or not as it is a very high quality filter but I am definitely going to use a different filter on the Kohler engine. Probably a Motorcraft Fl-910

/ 87415600 Oil Filter #2  
I look at it like this. I buy oil from n aftermarket source.. and as for the dealer.. well.. I NEED a local dealer, and DO try to support him where I can.

I DO buy NH filters for my 65+ ford / NH machines. they cost me a fouple bucks more.. but they are in stock and I know correct.

when I buy parts. If I can mail order it for 50$ + shipping or go buy it local at the NH counter for 65$ and have it in my hand 'NOW' I choose NOW / support my dealer.

can't swing the oil purchase. he only sells the ambra.. and it is steep. when I puy oil I'm usually buying 15+ gallons of just UTF at a time.. if doing my 4 65+ diesel service.. I could be buying 35-40 gallons of UTF and 9g of crank case oil... can't swing the 80$ /5g price from NH for that.

soundguy

/ 87415600 Oil Filter #3  
I understand both sides of this budget vs dealer support. More important is quality.

Now I live here in NJ with my tractor upstate NY, I do not have a local dealer near my home and the dealers upstate require a decent detour when driving up.

I look at all the cross reference info and quality is the major concern for me. I did find wix filters on amazon at a substantial discount.

I just changed my hydo filter with a oem and needed additional fluid, I had purchased 2 gt of ambro from the dealer. I asked how much will I need and they said 2 gt. It was actually 4, so now I am a qt low. I have read many of the posts on UTF but I would not mix 2 different types. So I will buy the ambro again to top off.

Honestly after reading all the info on fluids I am not sure UTF is the same as ambra multi-g 134

Back to your oil filter if you are going to use a under 6.00 filter really make sure of the quality eg. the motocraft 910 is not the same as the 910s which has the silicon backflow valve.

I did refill the oil with 15 - 40 rotella instead of ambra

When it comes down to it engine wear and or repair will cost much more.

/ 87415600 Oil Filter #4  
As a dealer we look at it like this, filters, for the tractors we sell we stock there filters, were we can also buy an aftermarket version we do as well to give the customer choice, however most of the time we find the genuine is the same price if not cheaper, so if your paying more for genuine asks your dealer why!
For oil, we know the manufacturers are just re labeling it and charging more, so we don't sell it. We will generally keep 2 oil brands on the self, cheap and good, 9 times out of 10 we sell the cheap! Actually buy it by the pallet now, compared to the Good stuff which is by the drum!

/ 87415600 Oil Filter
I understand both sides of this budget vs dealer support. More important is quality.

Now I live here in NJ with my tractor upstate NY, I do not have a local dealer near my home and the dealers upstate require a decent detour when driving up.

I look at all the cross reference info and quality is the major concern for me. I did find wix filters on amazon at a substantial discount.

I just changed my hydo filter with a oem and needed additional fluid, I had purchased 2 gt of ambro from the dealer. I asked how much will I need and they said 2 gt. It was actually 4, so now I am a qt low. I have read many of the posts on UTF but I would not mix 2 different types. So I will buy the ambro again to top o
Honestly after reading all the info on fluids I am not sure UTF is the same as ambra multi-g 134

Back to your oil filter if you are going to use a under 6.00 filter really make sure of the quality eg. the motocraft 910 is not the same as the 910s which has the silicon backflow valve.

I did refill the oil with 15 - 40 rotella instead of ambra

When it comes down to it engine wear and or repair will cost much more.

Filter is FL-910S. Have no doubt the NH filter is a quality filter but I believe the other filters mentioned are acceptable quality also. Ford recommends 7500 mile oil changes in my Fusion with their Motorcraft oil and above filter. I think that is stretching things a little and change at 5000 instead. Not sure where the line is to where different quality levels of filters would be sufficient. If I did a a used oil analysis At 100 hours with Rotella T 10W30 oil and the NH OEM fliter and then another oil analysis with the same oil but the $4 Motorcraft filter the next 100 hours, will there be a difference? Just not sure the OEM filter is almost 3 1/2 times better at doing the job an oil filter is supposed to do as indicated by the price difference.

/ 87415600 Oil Filter #6  
I actually bought a 910s and then choose not to use it. The wix 51348 was 5.84 no freight and no tax. I trust the wix quality.
My complete amazon order with outer air filter, oil, hydro and fuel all came to about 61.50 not bad.

/ 87415600 Oil Filter #7  
I am using the Purolator PL10241 PureONE Oil Filter without any issues now. The filter has the same filtration as the New Holland oil filters; so do the WIX oil filters. My neighbor next door owns a larger automotive store and has used Fram oil and hydro filters for eight years on his 2003 TC40D tractor with no issues. As my neighbor explained to me, "these are the same oil filters that are used on Chrysler vehicles. If the Fram, WIX and Purolator can filter the oil for a 200+ HP gas/diesel car/truck engines, they can filter the oil for a 40+ HP tractor engine." I think he is right.

I am also using K&N's outer air filter on my tractor and that works great too! The K&N air filter is only a couple cents more than the OEM filter and the filter will last forever with better airflow. The new K&N air filters for the tractors have a hybrid fiber that only need to be washed and dried, but not re-oiled like the traditional car air filters.

Jinman stated on my previous Post about cross referencing the filters and he stated the only filter that should not be purchased aftermarket is the hydrostatic oil filter; that should be purchased from the dealer. That filter seems to be engineered to handle much higher oil pressures.