89 3910 ford

/ 89 3910 ford #1  

deerfarmer

hello,am looking at a3910 ford and was needing any thoughts ,advice I could get on what to look for as far as problems etc. any help would be appreciated thanks:confused:

/ 89 3910 ford #2  
first thing on them i would check the pto because if it does work or dont stop u have to split the tractor at the rear end and trans to fix then check 3rd gear in the trans plus the others but i have found that is the most common gear to go check for how it starts cold and warm the clutch and the steering

/ 89 3910 ford
thanks for the reply, is this a common problem with a 3910 or just a good thing to check ? thanks again:thumbsup:

/ 89 3910 ford #4  
just a good think to check because the pto is pretty expensive to fix verus a 3610 and third gear is the most common gear used

/ 89 3910 ford #5  
The 3910 PTO turning is a common thing when it is shifted "OFF". If it is turning when the lever is shifted off take a 2x4 and wedge it against the drawbar and pto shaft and it should stop, if it does don't worry about it too much. I have seen ALOT of old Ford tractors that have this same issue and even on my 3910 when you hook something to the pto it will stop turning.

On the cold start, there is an air intake heater in the tube right in front of the battery, to operate it hold the key at a position just before the starter engages for about 30-45 seconds.

If it has a loader check every front end bearing, bushing, radius rods 9see if they are bent) and the bushing in the center of the axle. The front ends in these are rather light duty for a loader.

Brakes are easily adjustable but each one should work.

Look under the steering column in the panel right in front of the gear shift levers, if the power steering system has a leak it will be under there.

I have a 1989 3910, how many hours are on the one you are looking at? I do have the manuals for it in pdf form if you need them. Other than a few quirky problems they are a pretty solid simple tractor built to work all day everyday, handles a 3-16 plow or 7' bushog like there is no tomorrow.

/ 89 3910 ford #6  
The 3910 PTO turning is a common thing when it is shifted "OFF". If it is turning when the lever is shifted off take a 2x4 and wedge it against the drawbar and pto shaft and it should stop, if it does don't worry about it too much. I have seen ALOT of old Ford tractors that have this same issue and even on my 3910 when you hook something to the pto it will stop turning.

yes you are right about most dont cut off all the way but they are supposed to if the dont the pto brake is wearing down but there is a little cap behind the hyd filter u can remove and adjust it to make it shut all the way of but if it dont turn off at all u have problems

/ 89 3910 ford
have not looked at the tractor ,owner says hour meter broke ,does not know how many hours but I work with this guy and he is very peticular in his job so I figure hes same way about his stuff,going to see tractor today.I knew you guys would steer me in right direction as far as what to check out ! thanks again:thumbsup:

/ 89 3910 ford #8  
yes you are right about most dont cut off all the way but they are supposed to if the dont the pto brake is wearing down but there is a little cap behind the hyd filter u can remove and adjust it to make it shut all the way of but if it dont turn off at all u have problems

Ok because the PTO thing does drive me nuts tell me more about this cap and adjustment?

Deerfarmer, does it have a loader on it?

/ 89 3910 ford #9  
if u look behind where the hyd filter is there will be a cap with three bolts in it u remove them and the cap will come off and u can access the brake from there it really isn't that hard

/ 89 3910 ford #10  
So is there a screw i am turning till the PTO shaft stops. I found a little blurb about it in the service manual but it did not go into much detail on how to adjust it. It did show hooking a gauge to it and reading the pressure but it did not go into detail on adjusting anything.