89 Ford 1220 9x3 whining noise from bellhousing area.

/ 89 Ford 1220 9x3 whining noise from bellhousing area. #1  

skirtchaser

Tractor
1989 Ford 1220 4x4
Just bought this tractor and it has a whining noise coming from the bellhousing area.when I depress the clutch the noise is still there as long as the tractor is moving.It will stop if the machine is stopped.I have pretty much ruled out the throw out and am leaning towards the pilot bearing but don't want to split the tractor if I don't have to.Is there anyone who has had a issue like this?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20101031_163527.png
    ForumRunner_20101031_163527.png
    430.5 KB · Views: 887
   / 89 Ford 1220 9x3 whining noise from bellhousing area. #2  
Whining from a machine I can live with.:D

From my experience a bearing will do more than whine when it gets ready bad. I do not know your unit but some whining could be normal maybe.

If it was mine I would used it and see if the whining changes in volume. Are all your fluid levels within normal limits.

/ 89 Ford 1220 9x3 whining noise from bellhousing area. #3  
If it is pilot bearing I let it whine all it can if I can tolerate it. Can't hurt anything but itself. There is no way to access and split is the only way. The pilot bearings are permanently lubed and no zerk to keep them lubed if they go dry.

JC,

PS. Nice looking tractor with a loader to boot:)

/ 89 Ford 1220 9x3 whining noise from bellhousing area.
Thanks for replying guys.So if is the pilot you think I should leave it alone?No chance of it takin out the Imput shaft? Right now if I run the tractor for about 20 min the whining will go away so it doesn't do it after the tractor had been driven a bit.

Last edited:
   / 89 Ford 1220 9x3 whining noise from bellhousing area. #5  
if its the pilot bearing i would change it all u need is the ball bearing to sieze up then u wont get it to stop because it will just turn the imput shaft and u might ruin some things when you run throw a wall or fence or car so its best to split it and find the little problem now rather than have a major problem later

/ 89 Ford 1220 9x3 whining noise from bellhousing area. #6  
Thanks for replying guys.So if is the pilot you think I should leave it alone?No chance of it takin out the Imput shaft? Right now if I run the tractor for about 20 min the whining will go away so it doesn't do it after the tractor had been driven a bit.

Then you are in good shape. Bad bearings tend to make more noise with more use. Thanks for sharing the good news.

Never break a tractor because something may be wrong. You are an very aware person and if the noise grows worse you will know it.

I bought my Blazer with 102K miles and it had a slight front wheel bearing noise but by 160K it was starting to effect the ability to hear conversations.

Keep us updated.

/ 89 Ford 1220 9x3 whining noise from bellhousing area. #7  
Just bought this tractor and it has a whining noise coming from the bellhousing area.when I depress the clutch the noise is still there as long as the tractor is moving.It will stop if the machine is stopped.I have pretty much ruled out the throw out and am leaning towards the pilot bearing but don't want to split the tractor if I don't have to.Is there anyone who has had a issue like this?

There is no relative movement between the input shaft and the crankshaft when the clutch is engaged so the pilot bearing won't make noise then either. If you have the transmission in gear, the clutch depressed and tractor not moving, the pilot bearing will see relative movement. The TO bearing normally would see no movement until you actually push the clutch pedal in enough to push it against the clutch fingers. As I read your post, when you push the clutch in and coast with the tranny in gear, you hear whining noise which stops when the tractor stops moving. To me, and this is just conjecture, this sounds like the normal noise tranny gears make when meshing. It's possible they may be noisier than they should be from wear, low oil level, improper oil grade or a combination of those. That particular tranny might just be a tad noisy from the factory too. If this were my tractor, I think I might do a complete oil drain and install a good high quality oil that meets manufactures spec before I did anything else. Even if the oil looks good, it still might not be the correct oil...someone in the past may have done an oil change and filled it the wrong oil...sh*t happens, eh?

/ 89 Ford 1220 9x3 whining noise from bellhousing area. #8  
My Long 560 whines when it coasts. And the primarys at the outer axles whine all the time. They whine different in every gear, just the nature of the beast. I wouldnt worry about it.

/ 89 Ford 1220 9x3 whining noise from bellhousing area.
Thanks for all the replys.I will replace the oil and go from there.I guess I am all paranoid because it make a this noise I don't know exactly what it is and I like to stay on top of anything that could be a potential problem,not to mention It's annoying as **** for the first 10-20 min.I am brand new to the tractor scene and appreciate all the imput.I will keep you guys posted as I use it.