89 Ford 1220 9x3 whining noise from bellhousing area.

/ 89 Ford 1220 9x3 whining noise from bellhousing area. #21  
WOW! That definitely is not at all what I expected it to sound like! I like Hooked_on_HP`s idea of putting it on jackstands. Maybe see if you can use a mechanics stethoscope to narrow down the area the noise is coming from. I went back and read all your posts skirtchaser, and I don`t see any mention of whether or not applying the brakes (one side at a time) makes a difference. My thinking here is if a pin or bolt accidentally came undone and is stuck in a place it shouldn't be, you might be getting some noise from that, but that`s just a WAG too.

/ 89 Ford 1220 9x3 whining noise from bellhousing area.
Mace Canute said:
WOW! That definitely is not at all what I expected it to sound like! I like Hooked_on_HP`s idea of putting it on jackstands. Maybe see if you can use a mechanics stethoscope to narrow down the area the noise is coming from. I went back and read all your posts skirtchaser, and I don`t see any mention of whether or not applying the brakes (one side at a time) makes a difference. My thinking here is if a pin or bolt accidentally came undone and is stuck in a place it shouldn't be, you might be getting some noise from that, but that`s just a WAG too.

Update: I spoke with a great guy at capitol tractor and he knew what I was talking about before I finished my sentence.Apparently in 4 wheel drive models there is a shaft that runs inside of a tube that has a grease zero on it and it needs to be greased or it will make this awful noise...anyway thanks to everyone for your suggestions and I hope this post will help someone.Here is a pic of the culprit.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20101109_224237.png
    ForumRunner_20101109_224237.png
    285.9 KB · Views: 265
  • ForumRunner_20101109_224311.png
    ForumRunner_20101109_224311.png
    453.5 KB · Views: 757
   / 89 Ford 1220 9x3 whining noise from bellhousing area. #23  
That is a nice looking tractor. Wonder if the noise was the reason it was traded. :)

/ 89 Ford 1220 9x3 whining noise from bellhousing area. #24  
Darn nice to see you found the cause, skirtchaser. Let's just hope the lack of grease hasn't boogered it up. Do you think it would be hard to replace the bearing if it needs replacing?

Mace Canute said:
Darn nice to see you found the cause, skirtchaser. Let's just hope the lack of grease hasn't boogered it up. Do you think it would be hard to replace the bearing if it needs replacing?

Good point Mace.I have only owed this tractor for about a couple of weeks so I hope it has had time to do any significant damage.The real question is how long the previous owner drove it like this......He had replaced this one with a new TC30 and had been using his for the past 6 months.so I am chalking this up to lack of use.....I hope. :)

/ 89 Ford 1220 9x3 whining noise from bellhousing area. #26  
I see two zerks in your photo, skirtchaser. There is one on the driveline shroud and another in front of the rubber boot on the axle pivot. The one on the pivot looks like it has been painted over and not greased. Both probably need attention. It's super that you found this problem and you probably owe that guy at the dealership a box of donuts.:thumbsup:

/ 89 Ford 1220 9x3 whining noise from bellhousing area. #27  
I suggested that in my first post.
Bill

Hooked_on_HP said:
I suggested that in my first post.
Bill

Thanks Bill.I need a lesson in comprehensive reading.....this could have been resolved last week.